Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flexibility for non-co-terminals on schedule change (AXA vs SXM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 5:55 am
Original Poster

I was scheduled to fly AXA-SJU-JFK on DL. Schedule changed from 2 hours (original) to 6:15 layover.

I asked DL (via chat) to change to the nonstop SXM-JFK. They wanted to collect ~$200/person change. Was surprised since this is a DL-initiated change and since SXM and AXA are 12 miles apart (albeit over water).

Is DL typically this inflexible when they've changed the schedule? Should I try again via phone?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by andymell
I was scheduled to fly AXA-SJU-JFK on DL. Schedule changed from 2 hours (original) to 6:15 layover.

I asked DL (via chat) to change to the nonstop SXM-JFK. They wanted to collect ~$200/person change. Was surprised since this is a DL-initiated change and since SXM and AXA are 12 miles apart (albeit over water).

Is DL typically this inflexible when they've changed the schedule? Should I try again via phone?
Yes, it is certainly worth trying again by phone.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I may be thinking of AA, but one of them definitely has a policy to allow alternate airports within a particular distance from the original one, and IIRC it's 100+ miles.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL rescheduling app has offered such flexibility for day-of-departure IRROPs. But there is nothing formal or documented for advance schedule changes.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...on-policy.html
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
DL rescheduling app has offered such flexibility for day-of-departure IRROPs. But there is nothing formal or documented for advance schedule changes.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...on-policy.html
What agency can do is vastly different from what DL can do.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I may be thinking of AA, but one of them definitely has a policy to allow alternate airports within a particular distance from the original one, and IIRC it's 100+ miles.
Including an alternate airport in a different country?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
In case the OP -- or anyone else -- is interested, AA has started nonstop jet service between AXA and MIA on Embraer 175 equipment.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by guv1976
Including an alternate airport in a different country?
Yes. Have had no issue.
guv1976 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:04 pm

In case of cancelation BA allows a change of up to 300 miles. Not certain about DL but can't recall ever hearing it.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I recently had no issue getting an agent to switch both my outbound and return from GJT to DEN - 212 miles - but that was an IROP, not advance schedule change issue.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I recently had no issue getting an agent to switch both my outbound and return from GJT to DEN - 212 miles - but that was an IROP, not advance schedule change issue.
IRROPS self rebooking tool will even allow this. I've had tickets to SIN (when DL still flew there) that offered as far as TPE/KIX as options.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:56 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Just call. I have found Delta to be extremely flexible once you explain your case.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've been able to change BUF to YYZ before without issue, when there was a significant schedule change.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've been able to change BUF to YYZ before without issue, when there was a significant schedule change.
This is a case where status might matter. The fact that you were able to do this as a DM might not predict anything about what OP can do if he/she doesn't have status with DL.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is a case where status might matter. The fact that you were able to do this as a DM might not predict anything about what OP can do if he/she doesn't have status with DL.
I wasn't a DM, when did I say it was a DM when this happened?

In any case, yes of course status can help. But the point is, it can be done if the airline wants to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.