Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Delta A321neo inaugural flight? When?

Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: diburning
FTers on DL's A321NEO Inaugural: DL1202, BOS-SFO, 20 May 2022

-ATOBTTR
-C922SW
-pmadden
-Repooc17
-diburning
Print Wikipost

First Delta A321neo inaugural flight? When?

Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by audidudi
That's interesting, as in the first paragraph of the DL press release it says "...and beginning tomorrow (April 2) customers may purchase tickets on the first flights that the aircraft is designated to operate'!
The flight is (as of today) still operated by a 757 that is full in FC. When they do the aircraft swap on saturday, those folks will be moved over to that plane.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I punched up BOS-SAN for a random day in September. The nonstop flight is listed, but whatever happened to the lie flat seats that were allegedly being installed in these aircraft? It was a seatmap showing standard FC, C+ and coach.

Unfortunately, the only SAN-BOS nonstop return is a redeye flight.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I punched up BOS-SAN for a random day in September. The nonstop flight is listed, but whatever happened to the lie flat seats that were allegedly being installed in these aircraft? It was a seatmap showing standard FC, C+ and coach.
There are two different 321neo configurations. The lie flat one will come later.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold

Unfortunately, the only SAN-BOS nonstop return is a redeye flight.
Only 21 of the 155 A321neos will have lie flat, and they are not part of this first batch. The rest have a new first class seat which looks nice, but is not lie flat.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Yesterday the inaugural flight, while still showing as a 757, was about $350 one way. Today, now that the schedule has been updated, it shows as $659 one way in the Main Cabin. F and C+ are still sold out, as noted upthread.
ETA: C+ now is available but only middle seats are available for selection.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Apr 2, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Only 21 of the 155 A321neos will have lie flat, and they are not part of this first batch. The rest have a new first class seat which looks nice, but is not lie flat.
Wow, won't that massively complicate aircraft substitutions in IIROPs? In terms of passenger seating assignments...
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked on the Inaugural flight on the 20th.
(Just wish I had booked yesterday when it was much cheaper but I'll continue to monitor and just "rebook" if the fare drops and take an e-credit)

Wow, won't that massively complicate aircraft substitutions in IIROPs? In terms of passenger seating assignments...
It won't shock me if these birds are dedicated to certain routes. AA does the same thing with its A321T fleet with 3 cabins (F/J/Y), reserving those aircraft for specific East Coast-West Coast transcon routes (and the occasional repositioning flights).
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:46 am

Nope. No different than the D1 757's and regular 757's. In IRROPS cases, DL simply substitutes another D1 aircraft.

Most likely the lie-flat NEO's will be taking over the D1 757's routes only and will not feature in the broader overall network; so no worry about seating substitutions with regular NEO's.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Yesterday the inaugural flight, while still showing as a 757, was about $350 one way. Today, now that the schedule has been updated, it shows as $659 one way in the Main Cabin. F and C+ are still sold out, as noted upthread.
ETA: C+ now is available but only middle seats are available for selection.
This is reminiscent of the final 777 flight. I wonder whether someone tipped off the DL verified DM facebook group again and they swarmed onto the flight.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is reminiscent of the final 777 flight. I wonder whether someone tipped off the DL verified DM facebook group again and they swarmed onto the flight.
The DL press release about the first flight came out 2 days before the schedule change. This was not a secret. I suspect bloggers got half the seats, that's their business
MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
The DL press release about the first flight came out 2 days before the schedule change. This was not a secret. I suspect bloggers got half the seats, that's their business
I personally found out about it yesterday afternoon via a Reddit thread claiming the first flight would be DL1202 at 8:15 AM on May 20th - the post was updated shortly after with a link to the press release, which didn't list a flight number but did say the first flight would be 8:29 AM. Despite the discrepancy, I opted to book DL1202 as per the reddit post and sure enough this morning the schedule update was pushed through and it happened to be the correct flight. While I suspect many seats will be media/bloggers, there's a number of ordinary folks like myself who are excited for the flight and have booked tickets. There's likely around a dozen folks on Reddit alone who are doing so also.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by pmadden
I personally found out about it yesterday afternoon via a Reddit thread claiming the first flight would be DL1202 at 8:15 AM on May 20th - the post was updated shortly after with a link to the press release, which didn't list a flight number but did say the first flight would be 8:29 AM. Despite the discrepancy, I opted to book DL1202 as per the reddit post and sure enough this morning the schedule update was pushed through and it happened to be the correct flight. While I suspect many seats will be media/bloggers, there's a number of ordinary folks like myself who are excited for the flight and have booked tickets. There's likely around a dozen folks on Reddit alone who are doing so also.
Glad you got in! Tho I'm not sure there was ever much discrepancy, there are only 2 flights per day on BOS-SFO. One of them around 8AM, and the other around 5PM. Regardless whether it's 8:15 or 8:21 or 8:29, seems fairly obvious to me that we're talking about the morning flight, not the 5PM flight (which is scheduled to be the 2nd 321neo to leave BOS in revenue service)
pmadden likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice to see some other FTers will also be participants. I've started a thread wiki so any other FTers can opt to list themselves as participating on DL1202 on the 20th.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Nice to see some other FTers will also be participants. I've started a thread wiki so any other FTers can opt to list themselves as participating on DL1202 on the 20th.
Awesome! I don't have the post minimum yet to edit the wiki, but somebody can certainly add me to the list!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome! I don't have the post minimum yet to edit the wiki, but somebody can certainly add me to the list!
Updated the Wiki to add you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.