Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Delta A321neo inaugural flight? When?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: diburning
FTers on DL's A321NEO Inaugural: DL1202, BOS-SFO, 20 May 2022

-ATOBTTR
-C922SW
-pmadden
-Repooc17
-diburning
Print Wikipost

First Delta A321neo inaugural flight? When?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by pmadden
I’m sitting next to an engineer from ViaSat. It sounds like they are troubleshooting the WiFi with folks on the ground, but seems like they may need to reboot to fix something. He also mentioned something about live TV not working, which I didn’t consider but apparently also runs through ViaSat’s system.

Here’s my latest test result, it’s painfully slow

Slow enough to be useless!
Old May 20, 2022, 8:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Were any DL Execs present at BOS this morning or onboard the flight?
Mostly PR/Marketing folks. Bunch of photographers. One gentleman spoke briefly, I missed his name/title but think they said he was the head of Boston operations. There was a nice pre-boarding event with some light food/drinks, balloon arch, and big delta sign. It was a very festive environment

WiFi Update: The ViaSat engineer approached the flight crew and asked them to complete a full reset on the in-flight entertainment system to help rectify issues. It fixed the live TV issue, but WiFi performance is still pretty abysmal. It took me about 5 minutes to upload this screenshot with the latest speed test

Old May 20, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
First class passengers, what was in the fancy gift bags? Us peon’s back here in C+ are very curious 😄
A commemorative etched glass cube.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Were any DL Execs present at BOS this morning or onboard the flight?
Nope. Just the station manager, ramp manager, PR team, etc.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to share any more pics until we get on the ground. This wifi is spotty, and it was a real struggle just to get this one pic uploaded (after many many failures!)

I don't *think* I'm hogging the wifi, but I am getting (inconsistently) 14.46mbps down, but the upload test failed outright.

Last edited by diburning; May 20, 2022 at 9:10 am
Old May 20, 2022, 9:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Woah! I’m very jealous, that’s an awesome memento!
734cpa likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
I’m sitting next to an engineer from ViaSat. It sounds like they are troubleshooting the WiFi with folks on the ground, but seems like they may need to reboot to fix something. He also mentioned something about live TV not working, which I didn’t consider but apparently also runs through ViaSat’s system.

Here’s my latest test result, it’s painfully slow

Gott im Himmel... You're better off just trying to use cellular data.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
A commemorative etched glass cube.

Nope. Just the station manager, ramp manager, PR team, etc.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to share any more pics until we get on the ground. This wifi is spotty, and it was a real struggle just to get this one pic uploaded (after many many failures!)

I don't *think* I'm hogging the wifi, but I am getting (inconsistently) 14.46mbps down, but the upload test failed outright.
I was struggling from about an hour after the reset on; I'll be on the red-eye which uses 502 tonight, and I'll see if the problem is the type or if 501 just has struggles.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:06 pm

Alright, now that I'm on the ground...

The plane at the gate

Gate agent recognizing a couple honeymooners that happened to book this flight

Swag handed out at boarding (Pratt and Whitney pen, A321neo inaugural pin, A321neo inaugural bag tag, A321neo key tag)

Sparkling wine PDB

First class passengers were handed gifts by the station manager (seen upthread)

1A/B have a cutout at the bottom of the bulkhead for legroom. 1C/D do not, although it looks like they’re not any farther away from the bulkhead wall.

First Class meal

Plane at the gate at SFO

Now to do it all again to go home!
ATOBTTR and 734cpa like this.

Last edited by diburning; May 20, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 2:32 pm

Boarding my return. Looks like this brand new plane already had a decal removed.

Now that I am in 3A on the return, the under seat storage is not great. These seats extend further down toward the floor than previous seats. The center console storage compartment takes up a bit of space as well.

N830MH likes this.

Last edited by diburning; May 20, 2022 at 3:25 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 5:15 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by diburning
Now that I am in 3A on the return, the under seat storage is not great. These seats extend further down toward the floor than previous seats. The center console storage compartment takes up a bit of space as well.
Even without a bag, that looks a bit restrictive for foot room, due to the metal bar and then the center storage compartment. Unless you sit at an angle, it seems like the only place to put your foot is in that small space between the two.

There was a similar storage issue with AA’s new F seats (more about bags than footroom) and they got so many complaints they ended up doing a modification to the seats.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Thanks for the ridealong.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum | Marriott Platinum
Group shared album

Me and a couple others from the flight have compiled our photos in a shared album. If you want and invite DM.
also, I really want that FC gift, who’s gunna sell it to me?
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.