Search

Delta to cut 10 routes.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Delta to cut 10 routes.

Loss of Bos-Bermuda makes me sad. Never flew it, but it’s a real legacy, going back to the Northeast days.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...gional-routes/
becks1 and ChinaShrek like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Doesn't look particularly egregious. Most of the cuts seem to be long, thin routes to SLC that likely connect on to places that can be served via other hubs (e.g., PIT - DTW - SFO instead of PIT - SLC - SFO)
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
I hate to see routes cut but less CRJ's in the sky make me happy
Spiff and demkr like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:38 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I guess this just makes the 'temporary' cuts permanent.

I know MBS (Saginaw) and LAN (Lansing) haven't had service to MSP since the pandemic. Even then it was mostly 1 CRJ r/t a day and neither has even been on the far-out schedule for the last year+. But both maintain their DTW service.

LAN gets hit especially hard; UA is completely ending service there on 1/4/22.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I guess this just makes the 'temporary' cuts permanent.

I know MBS (Saginaw) and LAN (Lansing) haven't had service to MSP since the pandemic. Even then it was mostly 1 CRJ r/t a day and neither has even been on the far-out schedule for the last year+. But both maintain their DTW service.

LAN gets hit especially hard, UA is completely ending service there on 1/4/22.
Huge bummer about making it official. LAN-MSP worked well for me the last few years they had it.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
What the heck has been happing with SLC lately? First the regional mountain cuts to this? I thought the new terminal opening was supposed to result in more flights through SLC not less?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
What the heck has been happing with SLC lately? First the regional mountain cuts to this? I thought the new terminal opening was supposed to result in more flights through SLC not less?
I agree... they can barely make anything ski-wise (as was alluded to in a different thread) and I feel like the vast majority of transcon and near-transcon can easily overfly it to Detroit or Minneapolis. I genuinely am struggling to understand the purpose of the hub, given the way Delta is treating it. (to be clear, not saying it needs to be dehubbed but just not sure what Delta's game is here)
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Obviously a lot of this is pandemic related, I think most leisure travelers these days prefer a warm destination vs skiing. At least that's how it feels to me talking to friends and family...that and Skiing is so expensive if you're just going for a long weekend compared to a beach vacation.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kop84
Obviously a lot of this is pandemic related, I think most leisure travelers these days prefer a warm destination vs skiing. At least that's how it feels to me talking to friends and family...that and Skiing is so expensive if you're just going for a long weekend compared to a beach vacation.
Not so sure - check out https://www.instagram.com/epicliftlines/
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Eh what do I know...people I speak with preference for warm vacations is probably biased by living in Minnesota!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Duke787
Doesn't look particularly egregious. Most of the cuts seem to be long, thin routes to SLC that likely connect on to places that can be served via other hubs (e.g., PIT - DTW - SFO instead of PIT - SLC - SFO)
I have voiced my shock at these midwest-slc routes being cut since the beginning of 'Rona. It is a prime destination/area that people pay a premium to fly to (SLC, JAC, BOI, BZN), especially in this time of increased focus on leisure travel. Airlines with spare airplanes laying around are tripping over themselves to add thin leisure routes to utilize their metal.

On the PIT-SLC route in the Before Times, I have netted thousands in VDBs on multiple occasions, first was always sold out, and it had the highest load factor of any DL route from PIT. Instead now we get to retain our nine daily flights to NYC with 50%-60% loads. I know LF does not equal profitability...but I just don't understand this one.
dmarge18 and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70
Loss of Bos-Bermuda makes me sad. Never flew it, but it’s a real legacy, going back to the Northeast days.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...gional-routes/
I flew on the BOS/BDA route a couple of times before retiring and moving to FL. Nice short flight to a beautiful island. A bit disconcerting when first spotting the island as to how small it looked from high.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by pgh234
I have voiced my shock at these midwest-slc routes being cut since the beginning of 'Rona. It is a prime destination/area that people pay a premium to fly to (SLC, JAC, BOI, BZN), especially in this time of increased focus on leisure travel. Airlines with spare airplanes laying around are tripping over themselves to add thin leisure routes to utilize their metal.
You may have answered your question. I don't know this, but with carriers increasing service to expensive ski destinations (JAC, SUN, ASE), maybe there are now enough direct flights, and enough demand, from the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast to make SLC increasingly redundant for those markets. As in, why fly SLC-JAC when Delta now has nonstop service from MSP, ATL, LAX, and SEA?

Obviously, those flights won't displace SLC entirely. But they cut into Salt Lake's raison d'etre. I imagine MSP and DTW have been particularly unhelpful to SLC in this regard.
jamiel likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
One begins to wonder why DL is disproportionately in cutback mode, snipping cities and routes at a higher level than other U.S. network carriers ….
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:16 pm

Question for those who are more familiar with these types of broad schedule changes.

I have planned a spring break trip in March to Park City from Nashville specifically because Delta offered very convenient nonstop flights. Delta has now removed one of their two daily non-stop flights between the cities. Of course, it's the times that were convenient for me that have been removed. Given that March will be here before too long, is it a reasonable guess that a second daily non-stop flight between BNA and SLC won't be popping back up on the schedule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.