Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strange AF/KLM customer service arrangement for EU-based DL medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

PM based in Europe, here. Do any other EU-based medallions find that the customer service arrangement quite terrible? Namely, whenever you submit a compliment or complaint via Delta.com, it's forwarded to and mishandled by Air France KLM customer care? I've encountered and complained to DL about this off and on for the last two years: the agents usually don't know what you're talking about, being unfamiliar with DL products and procedures; they take ages to respond; they use incorrect names to address you in correspondence; they only occasionally issue (modest) Flying Blue points as compensation. In one message, they even thanked me for a "recent" journey to Frankfurt when I've never flown there on DL or SkyTeam, ever. Also questionable is whether any DL feedback actually makes it back to Delta.

I once spoke to a CS supervisor based in ATL about this. Apparently DL agrees to handle Flying Blue customers in the US and AF/KLM handles SkyMiles customer care in Europe.

The workaround for me is to call DL's US customer service number, but often I find it more efficient to get feedback submitted and tagged on a written form so it's properly documented. I've also occasionally used [email protected] but more than half the time they don't respond!
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:41 pm

Yeah, it's kinda odd. I've once gotten an AF/KL voucher as compensation for a DL flight issue. I was ultimately able to use it on Delta but had to call on the phone to book. Overall quite a strange arrangement.
itsabravenewworld likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC this goes back to the PMNW and KLM days, where the partnership seemed stronger than it is today (especially on the AF side).
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This hasn't been case in 2 years (at least in reverse). AF/KL stopped having DL handle there CS in US. I was told reverse was true, they only ground handle DL flights ex-CDG/AMS now.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC this goes back to the PMNW and KLM days, where the partnership seemed stronger than it is today (especially on the AF side).
Interesting!
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This hasn't been case in 2 years (at least in reverse). AF/KL stopped having DL handle there CS in US. I was told reverse was true, they only ground handle DL flights ex-CDG/AMS now.
Perhaps this is a separation of SkyMiles-specific CS? Also, when you call Delta using the UK/EU phone numbers, it routes to the AF/KL call center rather than DL in the US.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:45 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I've had issues with AF so have used the AF CS and takes 4-6 weeks for a response. Did get a decent voucher on an IFE issue in J. When I got it, I totally forgot about it and was really confused. Also really awful and confusing messaging. Awaiting a delayed compensation cash claim now...
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Spouse has a EU address, Gold Medallion. AF still handles her complaints and a few times has given her FB miles instead of Skymiles.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
I can confirm that such agreement ended at least for the service in Canada, since the end of 2019.

There used to be an AF/KL 800 number to call from North America and it will recognize the Flying Blue status, then that number was handled by Delta's global partner desk somewhere in Denver (an agent once told me that she is based in DFW). It was a great one since I can call AF but to change a DL 006 ticket.

Everything has changed since then, now the 800 AF or KL number can only take care of 057 and 074 tickets.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I guess DL might still let KLM handle EU addresses for EU addresses. I know for sure AF/KLM no longer let DL handle CS/reservations regardless of address. . Apparently AF/KL felt DL agents were too willing to bend rules/compensate. Is a pain when they compensate since you get a 074/057 voucher. Especially if want to use on DL flights with no TATL involved.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I've had issues with AF so have used the AF CS and takes 4-6 weeks for a response. Did get a decent voucher on an IFE issue in J. When I got it, I totally forgot about it and was really confused. Also really awful and confusing messaging. Awaiting a delayed compensation cash claim now...
Validating to hear that there are similar experiences out there. That sucks. Submitted a claim to Delta back in November and got the automated message that KL/AF would be handling it. Haven't heard back since.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:45 pm

In 2018 I had a DL ticket that needed changing, and the UK number forwarded to AF. AF converted my ticket into a AF one, lost my seat assignment but changed the ticket (due to a schedule change).... only until the next schedule change when I called DL USA and had to spend an hour fixing my ticket again.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: DL DM
I once sent an e-mail to Delta after not getting the special meal I had requested weeks id advance in paid D1 (VCE-JFK) and received an answer from EU based customer service, basically saying the meal service is complimentary and not part of the contract, so you should be thankful we're even serving you a meal...Quite strange indeed.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Does anyone have any recent experience with this? I'm EU-based and had a horrible trip on DL around the holidays with many delays, cancellations, and ultimately had to get a ride by car several hours in order to fly home. I submitted a complaint along with request for EU261 compensation on January 2nd and got an automated email from Air France with a case number. I've not heard anything since and when I looked up the claim per the email instructions, no information was found. I want to complain directly to Delta to make this right, as it was really a horrible trip in every regard.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rwSEA
Does anyone have any recent experience with this? I'm EU-based and had a horrible trip on DL around the holidays with many delays, cancellations, and ultimately had to get a ride by car several hours in order to fly home. I submitted a complaint along with request for EU261 compensation on January 2nd and got an automated email from Air France with a case number. I've not heard anything since and when I looked up the claim per the email instructions, no information was found. I want to complain directly to Delta to make this right, as it was really a horrible trip in every regard.
I just got response from AF/KL about complaint I filed end of December. You should be up shortly in queue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.