FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Seat Squatters WIn on DL1943 last night (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2061858-seat-squatters-win-dl1943-last-night.html)

HWGeeks Dec 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Seat Squatters WIn on DL1943 last night

On Saturday night two-seat squatters won and the FA said for the sake of the plane not leaving any later asked 10C to sit in a middle seat.

10C was the last to board because he made a fuss about the overhead bins being full and even had to have a conversation with the capt at the door. But that's another story and I don't have all the details.

I was 10A a woman and her daughter sat in 10B and 10C with an infant in arms. I don't check boarding passes so I thought it was their seats until mister 10C was done arguing about his bag and came on board and realized 33A and 33B (Basic economy) sat in 10B and 10C. When he complained the flight attendant told him he had to deal with the GA who he was dealing with regarding the bag issue, she was rather rude about it saying I don't want to hear it deal with the GA. GA came on board and he was confused about why 33A and 33B were in 10B and 10C. Finally, the lead FA just said please sit there because we are already late making 10C sit in I believe 13B or 14B couldn't really see didn't want to make my head turn too obvious. Lead FA told 33A and 33B that what they did was unacceptable but didn't make them move because the flight was already delayed. The lady plaid dumb but I heard her tell her daughter in Spanish to do just that "play dumb they won't move you"

Even with the flight late, I think the FA should have made the move. Instead of just telling them what they did was wrong. I know I would have made a fuss, having paid for C+ selecting 10c and two Basic Economies seat squatting and winning.

ovacikar Dec 12, 2021 6:43 pm

10C should have rather bluffed and asked to be offloaded from the flight. That would have sure delayed more.

audidudi Dec 12, 2021 6:51 pm

And what was the flight leader doing all this time? It was his/her responsibility to move these seat squatters back to their assigned/paid for seats. And that is a scheduled 4h 2m flight! Disgraceful IMHO!

zeke3 Dec 12, 2021 6:54 pm

I’m really torn on this one. Mr. 10C sounds like he belongs to Club DYKWIA, but I also think it’s annoying when passengers think the seat on their ticket is just a suggestion and/or don’t work it out directly with the passenger actually assigned to that seat.

HWGeeks Dec 12, 2021 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by zeke3 (Post 33806979)
I’m really torn on this one. Mr. 10C sounds like he belongs to Club DYKWIA, but I also think it’s annoying when passengers think the seat on their ticket is just a suggestion and/or don’t work it out directly with the passenger actually assigned to that seat.

He was a bit of a DYKWIA but at the same time he paid for 10C and the bins above row 10 do say exclusively for comfort +, which isn't enforced.

I felt bad for his seat more than him having to check his carry-on.

ijgordon Dec 12, 2021 7:55 pm

Enforced or not, there's no guarantee of overhead space availability in C+. Even if you board last in F you could be out of luck. But seems like he really picked the wrong battle. :shrug:

Orange County Commuter Dec 12, 2021 8:26 pm

So a much better way to deal with this is just to send Delta an email asking for a refund if you paid for the comfort seat. explain that you paid for the seat and you now understand that apparently all you had to do was sit there. You won’t get a refund, you will get a few miles thrown at you and the flight attendant will be told that this can’t happen again

Repooc17 Dec 12, 2021 10:15 pm

DYKWIA or not, he has the right of seating (10C). The fact FA knew it was wrong for those seat squatters and didn't do anything :mad:

I usually board last on flights, and have dealt with seat squatters trying to play dumb. I would have made a scene until the seat I am assigned to gets vacated, or the police can drag me off the plane.

Also, mom teaching her daughter stealing someone's seat is okay. Pathetic parenting.

flyerCO Dec 13, 2021 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ovacikar (Post 33806961)
10C should have rather bluffed and asked to be offloaded from the flight. That would have sure delayed more.

Yep, international flight, so bags would have to be pulled.

ATOBTTR Dec 13, 2021 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter (Post 33807182)
So a much better way to deal with this is just to send Delta an email asking for a refund if you paid for the comfort seat. explain that you paid for the seat and you now understand that apparently all you had to do was sit there. You won’t get a refund, you will get a few miles thrown at you and the flight attendant will be told that this can’t happen again

Hopefully DL believes the OP's letter/complaint. One problem with this is that OP's boarding pass was scanned as 10C at the gate. The seat swap happened onboard and was done "off the books" by the FA. Unfortunately, as far as DL's records are concerned, OP flew in 10C and there's nothing other than the OP's story to say otherwise. I hope this isn't an issue and DL takes OP's word for it. If this ever happens to me, I'd be either requesting the FA to issue some form of compensation on the spot or I'd be requesting a hand-written letter from the FA with their name on it to help collaborate the story.

Collierkr Dec 13, 2021 7:47 am

So much hate in the world…that a woman would think it is okay to do whatever she wants, and then the FA basically ignores then ignores the request of 10C.

had it been me (10C) we wouldn’t have left until I had my seat plain and simple. Somehow the FA tried to make that person out as the bad guy. Jesus! So 10C needs to report all of this and seek restitution and this whole thing has nothing to do with DYKWIA

sbrower Dec 13, 2021 8:31 am

I get the feeling that 10C had already used up all of his "customer service assistance" with his first argument. I am not saying right or wrong, just looking at the practicalities. And maybe 10C wasn't i a posiiton to wait for the next flight.

rylan Dec 13, 2021 8:57 am

Even if the 10C guy was arguing about overhead bin space, he was 100% justified and deserved to push for and get the seat he paid for and chose. Those other two from basic econ seats were sitting in Comfort+ seats and did not pay for them. They should've been moved back to their original seats. Bad on the FA for allowing that.

Yellowjj Dec 13, 2021 9:17 am

I would have moved and spread out in 33A/B and then submit a complaint to Delta requesting compensation. Having a boarding pass defeats the purpose of both the GA and FA not enforcing the assigned seats, not to mention allowing poachers to sit in a "upgraded cabin" without recourse. Both need retraining.

jiburi Dec 13, 2021 9:57 am

There is a lot of seat movement within economy cabin than some people realize. Some of the moves are legit, and legally required (eg. kids in emergency row, seat disabled) and some not (malfunctioning entertainment system/power port, separated from family/party). True, flight attendants have access of seat and associated names, but policing every situations is near impossibility without the help of its passengers'. Luckily, many people know and stay within their economy seat cabin but we all have to stay alert. Also keep in mind that some seating assignment are made for weight and balance reasons for take-off. I do think it's ok to move to a different open areas within the same cabin, after take off is completed.

(I think United's enforcement is much more strict than Delta.....)

Jiburi