Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Squatters WIn on DL1943 last night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Squatters WIn on DL1943 last night

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't seat poaching (attempted) theft of services?
Possibly, but before in the air would be basically impossible to prove the intent required. Even in the air, would need to show person knew or should've know (ie has in case of a business class seat) that seat required extra payment to sit in.

Basically unless the person moves into the seat inflight and with knowledge/intent of above it's impossible to prosecute a theft of service case.

On the ground before departure,, the really only option is to have removed for trespassing.

In reference to earlier post. As you don't have exclusive control over the seat (unlike a rented house where you have exclusive control of the house) you have no right under law to have the poacher removed for trespassing. Only the airline has the right to demand they be removed from plane. Thus why performing a citizens arrest will only likely result in you being the one charged. Again, unlike a police officer, you don't have immunity if the person sues you for unlawful detainment. You can also be arrested for false imprisonment/unlawful detainment.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IANAL but I can't imagine trying to make a citizen's arrest. It sounds dangerous to attempt, even if TSA airport security makes you confident that the person doesn't have a gun.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
In reference to earlier post. As you don't have exclusive control over the seat (unlike a rented house where you have exclusive control of the house) you have no right under law to have the poacher removed for trespassing. Only the airline has the right to demand they be removed from plane. Thus why performing a citizens arrest will only likely result in you being the one charged. Again, unlike a police officer, you don't have immunity if the person sues you for unlawful detainment. You can also be arrested for false imprisonment/unlawful detainment.
The other issue with this (laughable) citizen's arrest scenario is that the laws governing citizen's arrest vary from state to state. Or would this be federal jurisdiction and is so is there a federal citizen's arrest law? And what happens if the seat poaching occurs in another country?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
IANAL but I can't imagine trying to make a citizen's arrest. It sounds dangerous to attempt, even if TSA airport security makes you confident that the person doesn't have a gun.
I don't think these situations end up well most of the time when it's done.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Another option was to see if the 10C poacher got up to use the restroom, then you could just slide right into that seat and then refuse to move - after all, your boarding pass would have 10C on it.
I like! Especially because he was stuck in 14B, yes? Easy to keep an eagle eye out and see if either of them got up. Even if 10B got up, I'd snag that seat. And then just keep pointing at 10C saying "Mi asiento" over and over and over...
bocastephen likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:54 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Isn't seat poaching (attempted) theft of services?
Possibly, but DL (and its agents) should be the "enforcers".
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I will place the seat thief in my seat under citizen's arrest and formally demand the assistance of the police in expediting that arrest. I guarantee that process will lead to a much longer delay than moving the seat thief out of my seat, and my report to Delta will ensure that the delay is credited to your refusal to remove the seat thief from my seat.
let us know how this turns out. I am pretty sure you are correct that there will be a much longer delay (for you, at least).
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sethb
I would demand a new boarding pass from the GA. That would take a lot longer than getting the seat thieves moved.
Yeah, tell the gate agent politely but firmly that you WILL be following up with Delta on the matter and he/she can print you a new boarding pass at the computer at the jetway/door of the plane. Get up and follow them to the front door to ensure they do so - the plane wont be going anywhere while you are up at the door (don't exit though...) - if you remain level headed but firm, chances are they might rather deal with the seat poachers than having to deal with you, And to request the police will cause an even LONGER delay anyway.. ridiculous!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.