Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Squatters WIn on DL1943 last night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Squatters WIn on DL1943 last night

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I wonder if there isn't some way to get the FAs/GA/Captain to document the incident at the time, because as 10C scanned in with his assigned seat, when/if he complains Delta won't see any shenanigans in their systems. Perhaps even demanding it be documented would be enough to get the FAs to do the right thing and move the squatters.

I give the guy that was supposed to be in 10C alot of credit for just taking the seat vs. asking to speak to the Captain or asking to be offloaded. (But, I do get he might have no real option because he had to get to the destination on that flight for some reason or another.) I always book Comfort+ aisle, and if I can't get Comfort+ aisle, I book main aisle, and if I can't get either than I do the same process with windows. I have never (and hope to never) book a flight where I have to take a middle seat. I would have been livid.
elsaglass likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
Moral of the Story

Originally Posted by dcstudent
I wonder if there isn't some way to get the FAs/GA/Captain to document the incident at the time, because as 10C scanned in with his assigned seat, when/if he complains Delta won't see any shenanigans in their systems. Perhaps even demanding it be documented would be enough to get the FAs to do the right thing and move the squatters.

I give the guy that was supposed to be in 10C alot of credit for just taking the seat vs. asking to speak to the Captain or asking to be offloaded. (But, I do get he might have no real option because he had to get to the destination on that flight for some reason or another.) I always book Comfort+ aisle, and if I can't get Comfort+ aisle, I book main aisle, and if I can't get either than I do the same process with windows. I have never (and hope to never) book a flight where I have to take a middle seat. I would have been livid.
Seems to me the moral of the story here is don't be the last one on the plane. I was in an opera seat at the Met when someone else showed up with the same ticket. It was a computer error. No one's fault, but I got there first so I was in my seat for the show.
rxgeek and BSAChris like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by nrr
Once in the air how do DL FAs get the poachers to move if they refuse to "budge"? An incident in the air is to be avoided at all cost.
OK, since getting the flight out on time is important and moving gutsy poachers like this after takeoff likely won't be problem-free, the FA should have told the poachers that the police would be waiting at the gate. No delay to the flight, no impact to all but one pax. Well, and perhaps an FA who really is being lazy.

After all, failure to comply with an FA's instructions is a violation of federal law. That plus blacklisting the poachers from flying Delta again.

Here's my issue: that FA appears to have kicked the can down the road, possibly because the pax was being a pain. Well, I fly Delta, and I don't like thinking someone - maybe even these same poachers - will get away with pulling the same stunt on me. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've pulled this cr*p before.
lsquare and elsaglass like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Dr. Dao was seated in his assigned seat, a different issue from what is being discussed here.
Once the media gets it, the article would be something like "Woman and infant child dragged off the plane by brutal police show of force." The fact that they weren't in the proper spot may or may not actually make the article, and if it did, it would be buried so far down nobody would read that far.
wrp96 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
(Bold emphasis mine)
Not saying the seat squatters weren't wrong (they were). Not saying the FA wasn't wrong (the FA was wrong). Not saying I wouldn't be furious if this happened to me (I would be). But the reality is it's always so easy to be a "tough guy" on the internet where real world consequences don't apply. Regardless of the situation, how would most employers view you getting dragged off a plane and possibly arrested? And even if you got off the plane willingly (not by force) but chose to deplane over the seat and take another flight, if you were on a business trip and you missed the meeting or event you were going to and you told your employer "I chose to get off the plane rather than take the other seat based on principle," how would they react? In the real world, people don't get to make such decisions in a vacuum free of outside consequences and impacts.
I have personal experience in combating squatters, so I am not just talking the talk. I have made plenty of seat exchanges, but in every single one of those instances, people ask first, and are reasonable in seat exchange offers, usually people wanting to sit together. Row 10 and row 33 are not even remotely close to reasonable exchanges. Stand your ground. Also, other reasonable minded people will join in to defend for what's right.
bocastephen, lsquare and BSAChris like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have personal experience in combating squatters, so I am not just talking the talk. I have made plenty of seat exchanges, but in every single one of those instances, people ask first, and are reasonable in seat exchange offers, usually people wanting to sit together. Row 10 and row 33 are not even remotely close to reasonable exchanges. Stand your ground. Also, other reasonable minded people will join in to defend for what's right.
Some folks say this proves you should never be last to board. Really? Y'all have never almost missed a connecting flight because of airline delays? I suspect these squatters use early boarding to poach seats and bin space.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by zeke3
I’m really torn on this one. Mr. 10C sounds like he belongs to Club DYKWIA, but I also think it’s annoying when passengers think the seat on their ticket is just a suggestion and/or don’t work it out directly with the passenger actually assigned to that seat.
Until I know exactly what the bag argument was really about, I'd reserve judgement on calling 10C a DYKWIAist.
Sounds like he was within his rights all around, and the FA punted the situation.
elsaglass likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The pax had been assigned to 10C, but taken by someone else not supposed to be seated in 10C. How can someone be refusing to take their seat if their assigned seat had already been taken by someone else (improperly)? Stand up for your rights. If you have to be dragged off the flight, so be it. Call out the wrongs.

Squatters were ticketed in row 33, and decided to move themselves to row 10. FAs knew those squatters were in the wrong and still did nothing.

What safety/health reasons are you referring to in this scenario? Is there someone wrong with the ticketed seats where they are?
I have no idea. Maybe they said she and her girls were uncomfortable in 33A and B because a dude was being creepy. Maybe she felt ill or unable to walk back that far. Maybe FA would say that due to 10C's aggressive behavior when boarding she wanted him in 13B, further away from aisle or FAs or something. Or come up with a snappy reason why it was safer for the infant in arms to be in row 10 not row 33. The FA could probably articulate some safety/security/operational reason better than I can. And she likely would.

i assume FA instructions trump boarding pass instructions about where to sit. I think if they tell you to sit somewhere, and you refuse, you risk getting charged with refusing instructions of a flight crew, regardless of what your BP says.

I've seen them order drunk passengers to sit in a different seat before.
BSAChris likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
It's going to be situation dependent and also person-to-person dependent and those are also going to determine how far you'll be able to go before either having to back down, get what you want, or have the police called. And what each person defines as "reasonable" is going to vary. In one respect, you and other people may see it as reasonable while other people may see it as unreasonable. Someone else who has a 35 min connection in ATL may think your action is unreasonable and may think "dude, just sit down and shut up" because they think the extent to which you're pushing things and possibly now causing them to misconnect (particularly if the police now get involved) is more unreasonable than the actions of either the other passengers or the FA, even if they also find those actions unreasonable.

I have in-person experience in squatters as well and only once have I had to get the FA involved, who made the squatters move so nothing further was required. Other times, it's been resolved between me and the squatter (whether they intentionally squatted or not). I'm also not defending the situation. This could have all been resolved by an FA doing what was right rather than what was easy and painless for the FA and while as I said above, DL has to be careful in how it treads because of "hearsay," I hope DL is able to educate the FA on what the appropriate action would be, even if it's not the easiest action for the FA. But everyone else has to also "pick your battles." You may be "right" in some respects but can still lose the battle and the war and other people may not find you as "reasonable" as you think your position is and as I said, I think threats of an FA calling the police against the person who is otherwise "right" will be the limit of where most people would draw a line.
JoeDTW likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I have no idea. Maybe they said she and her girls were uncomfortable in 33A and B because a dude was being creepy. Maybe she felt ill or unable to walk back that far. Maybe FA would say that due to 10C's aggressive behavior when boarding she wanted him in 13B, further away from aisle or FAs or something. Or come up with a snappy reason why it was safer for the infant in arms to be in row 10 not row 33. The FA could probably articulate some safety/security/operational reason better than I can. And she likely would.

i assume FA instructions trump boarding pass instructions about where to sit. I think if they tell you to sit somewhere, and you refuse, you risk getting charged with refusing instructions of a flight crew, regardless of what your BP says.

Why are you condoning the actions of the squatters? The lead FA knew those squatters were in the wrong (but didn't do anything). How about the squatter leader, the mom telling the daughter just to play dumb.

The FA didn't move anyone from row 33 to row 10. Those squatters moved themselves.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cardsqc
Once the media gets it, the article would be something like "Woman and infant child dragged off the plane by brutal police show of force." The fact that they weren't in the proper spot may or may not actually make the article, and if it did, it would be buried so far down nobody would read that far.
That's why nobody trusts the media anymore, so I'm not sure that's even relevant.

Originally Posted by jphripjah

So then the question is it reasonable to agree to move to the new seat, but only on the condition that it gets updated and documented in the system? Can FAs do this on their ipads?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:42 am

So much drama upthread. I have been in this situation several times. Onboard FAs have all the power and I have very few rights onboard while DL can ban me, etc. But once I’ve landed I now have the power and this becomes an issue for DL customer service with very detailed documented notes and pictures and FA names.
polinka and BSAChris like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by brandsberg
Why weren't the people moved after they were in the air? That would have resolved all the issues. I would have made a stink as well. Need to be reported to FAA. Staff was just plain wrong on this one.
Another option was to see if the 10C poacher got up to use the restroom, then you could just slide right into that seat and then refuse to move - after all, your boarding pass would have 10C on it.
DenverBrian and JoeDTW like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pbjag
How much do you want to wager that those bins were full because the squatters’ bags were in there?
Was always my thought from the beginning in reading this thread
polinka likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by SNAGuy
Was always my thought from the beginning in reading this thread
Had that happen on a LAX-ATL red eye. I was one of the first to board and was in an exit row C+ on an ancient 757. No overheard bin space available as all of those "needing extra time" took the space upon boarding. Thankfully, the FA let me hold on to my camera bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.