Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No More MQM/MQD/MQS/RDM For Basic Economy Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More MQM/MQD/MQS/RDM For Basic Economy Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Would you rather a change fee or use-it-or-lose-it? BE tickets have only been chargeable due to waiver, one that expires Dec 31.
I think we all know change fees will return. We’ll see who blinks first.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Would you rather a change fee or use-it-or-lose-it? BE tickets have only been chargeable due to waiver, one that expires Dec 31.
They will actually be effectively changeable for a fee after Dec 31st for tickets purchased on/after December 9th. It looks to be $99 (9900 miles) domestically and $199 (19900 miles) for international BE fares/awards. This is somewhat of a carrot for the infrequent flyers who probably don't care much about miles/MQMs, while removing miles/MQM/MQD earn is more of a stick for the more frequent fliers and Medallions. Wasn't there some stats published at one point that something like 30% pax don't even have FF accounts registered?

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 9, 2021 at 2:44 pm
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Delta has done that several times.

They did it just a little over a month ago with GUC's.and waited until almost the end of the year instead of telling us on 1/1/22 or even doing the announcement for effective 1/23 that GUC's will have a lot shorter life if we wait to chose them and expire 1/31 of the year instead of 12 months after being selected and also having to purchase PS if we want to clear into D1 immediately and if we don't buy PS we only get put into PS and won't clear into D1 until no sooner than t-24 hours.

What Delta did with the GUC's was a lot more unfair than this change seeing the GUC's apply to their most loyal customers and people who already have BE tickets still have the old rules apply to them
I find neither acceptable. Even if Delta isn't making to policy retroactive, 0 days' notice isn't appropriate. There is no emergency that prevents them from letting customers book before the change or make adjustments accordingly.

United, for all of its faults, has given its customers decent notice before making big, harmful changes to its program. It conveys basic respect for customers.

And before anyone tells me that they have the legal right to do so, please note I'm not offering a legal opinion. (I also reject the idea that a business's fiduciary duties to shareholders require it to screw customers militantly.)
jspira likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Duplicate

Last edited by ezefllying; Dec 12, 2021 at 8:15 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Dec 9, 2021, 5:16 pm

How many employers require the lowest available fare, even if it means Basic Economy? How many have a contract with Delta that requires such? If so, you might be forced to buy it anyway, even without getting the miles and other benefits.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 5:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I think we all know change fees will return. We’ll see who blinks first.
You must be thinking about the newest consumer enhancement of 2022, the Flexible Travel Convenience Fee®. In order to better enable us to serve our customers, this optional service allows you to modify your flight from the convenience of our mobile app. Not traveling to your original destination anymore? You can adjust your ticket to travel to any of our 300 destinations with a large discount!*

*Compared to the price of a new ticket. Sometimes.
camsean and ezefllying like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
DL is banking on (or already has data and has done the internal analysis to know) that you're the exception rather than the rule here.
My company has “must buy lowest fare” rules to go along with “can’t use your own card, use the card we issued you” rules for corporate travel. I can tell you right now I will be buying zero DL BE fares if I can buy fares on airlines that give me full or even partial earning.

That’s the thing, it’s not always Ma and Pa Kettle making purchase choices. I’m sure Delta knows what works and what won’t work for them; I’m not lobbying for a change or sitting on a throne commanding the tide to go out. But I do have choices…
dw, Auto Enthusiast and ohhleary like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 9, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My company has “must buy lowest fare” rules to go along with “can’t use your own card, use the card we issued you” rules for corporate travel. I can tell you right now I will be buying zero DL BE fares if I can buy fares on airlines that give me full or even partial earning.

That’s the thing, it’s not always Ma and Pa Kettle making purchase choices. I’m sure Delta knows what works and what won’t work for them; I’m not lobbying for a change or sitting on a throne commanding the tide to go out. But I do have choices…
If your company is making you buy the lowest fare and that includes making you buy BE fares for business travel, how much choice do you really have?

ETA: even if you do have some flexibility while still actually being forced to buy BE for business travel, again, as I said I think DL is either banking on or concluded that you are the exception, not the rule, and the vast majority of passengers buying BE fares either don’t care about miles or pursuing status to begin with or have zero flexibility anyway if they’re required to buy the lowest fare and that’s DL or they have a contract with DL and have to go with DL.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Dec 9, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Are you allowed to buy the BE ticket on corp credit card and then upgrade yourself to MC out of your own pocket??
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I can definitely see how this is not a good thing for those required to purchase the lowest fare, but as a PM who never buys BE fares even with many of the limitations not relevant to me (like checked bags or lounge access with multiple Delta Reserve cards and Platinum charge cards) this does at least make me feel better about paying the Medallion Tax that I've always paid just for upgrades on Main Cabin flights.

And with MQM rollover happening once again, hopefully it'll at least help settle the glut of Medallions after next year. It does kind of boggle the mind that I'll still be losing upgrades to DMs who may not have flown since early 2019 all the way into January of 2023.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
It only applies to tickets purchased today and onward. If you bought a BE ticket before today, your ticket will fall under the rules which applied when it was purchased (I would recommend one keep receipts to show proof for the date of purchase proof and save a screenshot or printout of the link announcement should the miles not post correctly and one has to go apply for mileage credit after the fact and then has to go back-and-forth with DL)
Tickets purchased today can be cancelled until midnight tomorrow (normally in the local time zone of the departure airport) for a full refund to the original means of payment.

AFAICT there's no change to MQS and MQD earnings on BE tickets, right?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:19 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAICT there's no change to MQS and MQD earnings on BE tickets, right?
They won’t qualify for elite status under any metric:

Basic Economy tickets purchased on or after December 9, 2021 for flights departing on or after January 1, 2022, will no longer be eligible to earn miles in the SkyMiles Program or earn towards Medallion Status (meaning not eligible for MQM, MQS or MQD earn).”
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dw
They won’t qualify for elite status under any metric:

Basic Economy tickets purchased on or after December 9, 2021 for flights departing on or after January 1, 2022, will no longer be eligible to earn miles in the SkyMiles Program or earn towards Medallion Status (meaning not eligible for MQM, MQS or MQD earn).”
Thank you, but I'm a bit puzzled by the emphasis on only MQMs and RDMs in this thread.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
My company has “must buy lowest fare” rules to go along with “can’t use your own card, use the card we issued you” rules for corporate travel.
Ouch. I could not work at said company, or at least not travel for them.
hockeystl, IggySD, rylan and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thank you, but I'm a bit puzzled by the emphasis on only MQMs and RDMs in this thread.
My apologies. I focus my personal elite status efforts on MQMs (not MQSs) and I get the Amex waiver instead of MQDs. I realized my mistake but could not change the title.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.