Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No More MQM/MQD/MQS/RDM For Basic Economy Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More MQM/MQD/MQS/RDM For Basic Economy Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website has a more complete list of changes -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...ws-and-updates

OP didn't list the following change --

Additionally, Delta is introducing a new policy to offer more flexibility for customers with a Basic Economy ticket. Customers who redeem their miles for a Basic Economy ticket departing on or after January 1, 2022 can now cancel their ticket and receive a portion of their miles back, following a cancellation charge that is deducted from their ticket value. Visit our Travel Planning Center to learn more.

The mileage cancellation charge is listed at time of booking for BE awards. Revenue BE fares also now have a cancellation charge and you can get a partial credit back on BE fares that are cancelled. The cancellation charges are also listed in the fare rules (found at the "Fare Rules" link when you price out itins or on EF).

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 9, 2021 at 12:22 pm
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Talk about a "soft landing"...my BE flights this year earning 150% MQMs now will earn 0% MQM next year. I am sure there will be a corresponding decrease in price? 😂

I know we called Main Cabin upcharges a "tax" for Medallion Status benefits before, but now there is a tax to even earn status in the first place! I always flew with my family of 4 in BE since there was literally no benefit to me as a PM when traveling with them (lounge access, C+, upgrades). So why should I now pay hundreds of $$$ more to fly us all in Main Cabin to earn MQMs...when there is no benefit afforded to me anyway on most of my flights to begin with?
MrE likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pgh234
Talk about a "soft landing"...my BE flights this year earning 150% MQMs now will earn 0% MQM next year. I am sure there will be a corresponding decrease in price? 😂

I know we called Main Cabin upcharges a "tax" for Medallion Status benefits before, but now there is a tax to even earn status in the first place! I always flew with my family of 4 in BE since there was literally no benefit to me as a PM when traveling with them (lounge access, C+, upgrades). So why should I now pay hundreds of $$$ more to fly us all in Main Cabin to earn MQMs...when there is no benefit afforded to me anyway on most of my flights to begin with?
An option is always to book yourself on a Main Cabin fare and book the rest of the family on a BE fare. Then you can at least get MQMs for your ticket.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I can tell you right now that prior to DL opening the barn door wide for status matches, I was an occasional flyer because DL gives free miles away in the SEA market and their BE product was reasonable. I was willing to put them in the “maybe” bucket with AA and WN.

But “hey, we’re Spirit or United and we need to punish you for buying cheap fares” is going to drive me away from them, and confirms my decision to try them and go “nah, SkyPesos aren’t for me, unless I get them for free”. And fortunately I don’t live in a hub captive market like DTW/MSP.
DL is banking on (or already has data and has done the internal analysis to know) that you're the exception rather than the rule here.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
VS uses T for its basic economy fares, including on codeshares. I'd expect DL will eliminate SkyMiles earning on T fares shortly.

Flying KL/AF codes may be attractive.
VS BE fares are still showing as completely non-changeable and non-refundable. Unlike DL BE fares which will now be changeable and partially refundable for a credit with a fee. So you may be able to continue to earn miles on VS T fares, but you probably won't be able to cancel/change them at all.

For some history, DL did a reduction of BE fare differentials on many domestic routes on August 12th from $40 to $25 each-way which is now pretty much the standard (more competitive routes out of LAX and SEA were generally already in the $20 to $25 each way range). TATL fares also had a reductions from $100 each-way to $75 each way somewhat later in the fall. AA eliminated BE fares on most domestic routes in the Fall of 2020. UA has also been reducing BE fare filings on many routes and DL was likely facing pressure on their BE fares between it's legacy peers and LCC/ULCC competition. Only AS seems to be a holdout at this point and many transcon routes continue to have a $50 differential each-way.
champus likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 9, 2021 at 11:41 am
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Was this announced today? Because, if so, I have a big procedural problem with this. Cutting a benefit with 0 hours' notice (or, even if they announced the change a couple days ago, 48-72 hours') is unfair to consumers. And so gratuitous.

I seem to recall that Delta pulled a similar devaluation stunt (was it with respect to SkyMiles refundability?) a few years ago. They said, goofily, that they couldn't provide any advance notice for some legal reason. I'm not going to provide any legal advice here or claim to be an expert, but I was very, very skeptical.
lsquare and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ezefllying
Was this announced today? Because, if so, I have a big procedural problem with this. Cutting a benefit with 0 hours' notice (or, even if they announced the change a couple days ago, 48-72 hours') is unfair to consumers. And so gratuitous.

I seem to recall that Delta pulled a similar devaluation stunt (was it with respect to SkyMiles refundability?) a few years ago. They said, goofily, that they couldn't provide any advance notice for some legal reason. I'm not going to provide any legal advice here or claim to be an expert, but I was very, very skeptical.
It only applies to tickets purchased today and onward. If you bought a BE ticket before today, your ticket will fall under the rules which applied when it was purchased (I would recommend one keep receipts to show proof for the date of purchase proof and save a screenshot or printout of the link announcement should the miles not post correctly and one has to go apply for mileage credit after the fact and then has to go back-and-forth with DL)

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Dec 9, 2021 at 12:57 pm
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:52 pm

I guess I'm like one of the 5 people whose behavior will be affected by this. I fly ~40 segments a year on DL for work and maybe another 8 or so for pleasure with my family. Whereas before I would usually choose DL Basic Economy for those pleasure routes over WN for domestic travel, that's probably not going to be the case now. For international travel it's pretty absurd that a $1300 Basic Economy fare to AMS isn't going to count towards status. Just picking a random date for next May the difference between Basic and Main is $150. For a family of 4 that's $600. I think I would rather fly UA and at least have it count towards status. C'est la vie.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
It only applies to tickets purchased today and onward. If you bought a BE ticket before today, your ticket will fall under the same rules (I would recommend one keep receipts to show proof for the date of purchase proof and save a screenshot or printout of the link announcement should the miles not post correctly and one has to go apply for mileage credit after the fact and then has to go back-and-forth with DL)
And also be very careful with schedule changes that result in even exchanges where the date of issue and ticket number (but not pnr) both change.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ezefllying

Delta has done that several times.

They did it just a little over a month ago with GUC's.and waited until almost the end of the year instead of telling us on 1/1/22 or even doing the announcement for effective 1/23 that GUC's will have a lot shorter life if we wait to chose them and expire 1/31 of the year instead of 12 months after being selected and also having to purchase PS if we want to clear into D1 immediately and if we don't buy PS we only get put into PS and won't clear into D1 until no sooner than t-24 hours.

What Delta did with the GUC's was a lot more unfair than this change seeing the GUC's apply to their most loyal customers and people who already have BE tickets still have the old rules apply to them
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But “hey, we’re Spirit or United and we need to punish you for buying cheap fares” is going to drive me away from them, and confirms my decision to try them and go “nah, SkyPesos aren’t for me, unless I get them for free”. And fortunately I don’t live in a hub captive market like DTW/MSP.
But is it really "punishment", or more a case of pay less get less?

David
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by DiverDave
But is it really "punishment", or more a case of pay less get less?

David
I mean even with Spirit and Frontier you get “miles/points” with their cheapest tickets.
dw and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I thought Change Fees were gone forever 😂
MrE and pgh234 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
I mean even with Spirit and Frontier you get “miles/points” with their cheapest tickets.
On Spirit and Frontier's cheapest tickets you also get less legroom, no complimentary carryon to go in the overhead (which DL will check for free if they run out of room while Spirit will charge an arm and leg if you show up at the gate with a carryon that won't go in the overhead bin), generally poorer customer service, far worse IROPs recovery, no complimentary snacks or beverages, and no complimentary entertainment (unless you consider a fight that breaks out in-flight entertainment). If Sprit or Frontier are your cup of tea, have at it, and their model clearly works for a large number of passengers as evidenced by their overall profits. One just has to know what they're getting (and not getting). Me personally, I have yet to buy BE on any airline and I don't plan on buying BE due to restrictions imposed, but even with the recent changes I'd fly BE on DL before flying on Spirit or Frontier, even if NK or F9 would give me a handful of points while DL gave me no points.
flyerCO, Temedar, FLYPWM and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I thought Change Fees were gone forever 😂
Would you rather a change fee or use-it-or-lose-it? BE tickets have only been chargeable due to waiver, one that expires Dec 31.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
And also be very careful with schedule changes that result in even exchanges where the date of issue and ticket number (but not pnr) both change.
The original ticket still exists, it's just marked exchanged. Will likely need to call in for manual adjustment but they'll be able to see original ticket.. (it has to be there as the funds for any reissued tickets originate with it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.