Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question about Aeromexico flight booked on delta/ change terminal Mexico City !

Question about Aeromexico flight booked on delta/ change terminal Mexico City !

Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
"safe" - lol

The (landside) bus is not free, and a bit shady IME.
landside?
my email says there is a bus service without having to leave the airport….
thanks
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Op here
also if I booked AM premier through delta is that sky priority? Dosent show on app
thanks
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
I received an email from AM on Thursday announcing that they are now using 1 and 2. If you look at the link above (which was also in my email), MZT is listed as operating out of T2. Looks like just a few domestic flights are in T1.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
landside?
my email says there is a bus service without having to leave the airport….
thanks
Landside just means you're on the unsecured side of airpory. Ie before security. It doesn't mean you go off airport.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer
There is an Airtrain, runs every 10 minutes during the day. It's landside, but you will need to show your boarding pass to be able to take it.
Sounds like a lot of change going on at MEX. But historically this is the key. There is a monorail train which is perfectly safe and easy, as long as you have your onward BP in hand.

I have been through MEX a total of 369 times in my life (thanks Flight Memory!), and I would NOT want to take a landslide bus between terminals AT ALL.

Maybe AM is setting up something new for this. But as Repooc17 says, the landslide bus as I know it is indeed a bit shady and was on my “no go” list.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Dec 4, 2021 at 3:01 pm
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Spoiler

my email said my baggage will be checked to final destination
and
And says
i can connect with other terminals using bus service without leaving the airport …
Old Dec 4, 2021, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Spoiler

Replying to my own post!

what is Spoiler???

and
And says
i can connect with other terminals using bus service without leaving the airport …
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You hit the + box in the editing toolbar. It's designed so you can hide something people might not want to know about. Not sure of use on FT. However the software running FT isnt FT specific.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
and
And says
If (and that's a big if) you have to transfer between terminals, present your onward boarding pass at Aerotrén (Airtrain) station and use the monorail. Don't bother with the bus transfer.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver Medallion
I have a trip booked next month LAX-MEX-ACA (and vice versa). DL on both LAX legs. I currently expect all of my flights to operate in/out of T2 at MEX (and, sadly, T2 at LAX, but I digress).

I've never done a MEX connection, so I was looking into this when I found this thread. I also saw the same guidance on the AeroMexico website, and Delta posted a press release in February 2020 touting the same (https://news.delta.com/traveling-con...make-it-breeze). However, it seems to be at odds with the guidance on AICM's website (https://www.aicm.com.mx/en/passengers/faqs), which states that "If you are traveling from abroad and you have a layover in Mexico to take a domestic flight, you'll have to pick up your baggage and go through Customs."

I appreciate AeroMexico and Delta may have their own policies for their connecting passengers, but does anybody have any recent experiences that explain what the actual current practice is? Should I plan to claim and re-check my bag on both my inbound and outbound? Appreciate any insight that can be shared.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Bags will transfer. There will be a sign after immigration telling you about this. I believe bags still appear on bag belt, they just take off and drop them again theirselves. (Like what happens at some US airports for ITI transit)
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
For posterity, here's some information for a trip like the OP's:

The following AM destinations are currently operating from T1:
Campeche​ (CPE)
Durango​ (DGO)
Los Mochis​ (LMM)
Matamoros​ (MAM)
Nuevo Laredo​ (NLD)
Reynosa​ (REX)
Tampico​ (TAM)
Zacatecas​ (ZCL)
Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo​ (ZIH)

From Feb 1, 2022, these are added:
Culiacán (CUL)
Mazatlán (MZT)
Minatitlán (MTT)

There's a lounge at Gate 9 that partnered with AM. Business class passengers, SkyClub members, Priority Pass, STE+, etc. can use it. All flights will leave between gates 1 and 10.

There's an airside transfer bus or the landside transfer train. To use the airside bus speak to someone in an AM connections desk, they leave from Gate T in T1 and go to Gate 75 in T2. I wouldn't risk an international to domestic connection shorter than 3/4 hours. Domestic to international I think you can manage with a 2/3 hour connection.

Note that a few of these destinations are served from T2 by Aeromar (www.aeromar.mx), often for less money.

In my experience, practice matches policy for bags: if you fly into T2 on Delta or AM, your bag goes direct to final destination in all cases EXCEPT if you're flying in from Central or South America. If you are flying on a different airline and connecting on to AM, you have to pick up your bag and recheck it at the connections desk.

Also - the T1 check-in counters for AM are super far from the domestic gates (20-30 min walk). If originating in MEX for a T1 flight, I suggest web or whatsapp check in and then going through security at the filter in front of Airport Doors 2 or 3. Alternatively, if you must check bags or go to the counter, ask taxi to drop you off at International Gate F2, then go through security at the filter next to the Centurion Lounge, then going to the Grand Elite Lounge (they take Priority Pass), then asking the lounge for a golf cart transfer to your gate.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asar
For posterity, here's some information for a trip like the OP's:

The following AM destinations are currently operating from T1:
Campeche​ (CPE)
Durango​ (DGO)
Los Mochis​ (LMM)
Matamoros​ (MAM)
Nuevo Laredo​ (NLD)
Reynosa​ (REX)
Tampico​ (TAM)
Zacatecas​ (ZCL)
Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo​ (ZIH)

From Feb 1, 2022, these are added:
Culiacán (CUL)
Mazatlán (MZT)
Minatitlán (MTT)

There's a lounge at Gate 9 that partnered with AM. Business class passengers, SkyClub members, Priority Pass, STE+, etc. can use it. All flights will leave between gates 1 and 10.

There's an airside transfer bus or the landside transfer train. To use the airside bus speak to someone in an AM connections desk, they leave from Gate T in T1 and go to Gate 75 in T2. I wouldn't risk an international to domestic connection shorter than 3/4 hours. Domestic to international I think you can manage with a 2/3 hour connection.

Note that a few of these destinations are served from T2 by Aeromar (www.aeromar.mx), often for less money.

In my experience, practice matches policy for bags: if you fly into T2 on Delta or AM, your bag goes direct to final destination in all cases EXCEPT if you're flying in from Central or South America. If you are flying on a different airline and connecting on to AM, you have to pick up your bag and recheck it at the connections desk.

Also - the T1 check-in counters for AM are super far from the domestic gates (20-30 min walk). If originating in MEX for a T1 flight, I suggest web or whatsapp check in and then going through security at the filter in front of Airport Doors 2 or 3. Alternatively, if you must check bags or go to the counter, ask taxi to drop you off at International Gate F2, then go through security at the filter next to the Centurion Lounge, then going to the Grand Elite Lounge (they take Priority Pass), then asking the lounge for a golf cart transfer to your gate.
I am flying to JFK-MEX-MZT end of January .
return MZT-MEX JFK in February.

looks like Mzt is on your list to change terminals?
so experience will be different on way home?
also he long walk you were referring to.

will that be for my flight?

do they consider MZT-MEX domestic? Then international?
thanks
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Hey

That's right! Your experience will be different on the way home.

On the way out, you will have a T2 --> T2 connection. On the way back, you need to change T1 -->T2. When you arrive from MZT, don't follow signs for baggage claim. Instead, ask any Aeromexico staff where the connection bus leaves from (this is the Gate T bus). It should leave you at Gate 75, from where you go upstairs, clear security and then you can get to your gate. The long walk doesn't apply to you in this case.

The bags will go through both ways. I suggest you use the Premier lounge at T2.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asar
Hey

That's right! Your experience will be different on the way home.

On the way out, you will have a T2 --> T2 connection. On the way back, you need to change T1 -->T2. When you arrive from MZT, don't follow signs for baggage claim. Instead, ask any Aeromexico staff where the connection bus leaves from (this is the Gate T bus). It should leave you at Gate 75, from where you go upstairs, clear security and then you can get to your gate. The long walk doesn't apply to you in this case.

The bags will go through both ways. I suggest you use the Premier lounge at T2.
I read in a thread to not use the bus (sketchy) , instead use train?

is this true in this case?

also I have a 1 hr 45 min connection on way home in MEX is this enough time?
thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.