Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Denied” boarding due to passport “damage”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Denied” boarding due to passport “damage”

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Feels like there should be a few more checks and balances before a single agent can unilaterally cancel a multi-thousand dollar trip.
Really?

Thankfully I was at ATL Intl check in with 2 hours to my flight, so I left and went to domestic where the agent graciously checked my bags, verified my passport, and wished me a good trip. Had no problems in France or on return.
So, a single agent did not "unilaterally cancel" your multi-thousand dollar trip (not sure how this is even relevant, are you suggesting the bar for this should be lower for peons in Y?), it's not at all clear how many additional checks and balances you actually think are needed to prevent the thing you're worried about that did not in fact happen to you.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Really?

So, a single agent did not "unilaterally cancel" your multi-thousand dollar trip (not sure how this is even relevant, are you suggesting the bar for this should be lower for peons in Y?), it's not at all clear how many additional checks and balances you actually think are needed to prevent the thing you're worried about that did not in fact happen to you.
Well it does seem reasonable that if the airline is going to deny boarding (for any reason actually), it should be signed off by a supervisor.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well it does seem reasonable that if the airline is going to deny boarding (for any reason actually), it should be signed off by a supervisor.
Well, the person who denied the BP here WAS the supervisor per the OP who trivializes her actions by saying she "wandered off and returned with her manager". So that is two people who were questioning it. Seems more than reasonable to me.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Well, the person who denied the BP here WAS the supervisor per the OP who trivializes her actions by saying she "wandered off and returned with her manager". So that is two people who were questioning it. Seems more than reasonable to me.
Redcoats are not managers, simply higher powered front line agents. Think of as a head cashier. No supervisory power, just another cashier, just they are looked to for advice. Some have been with company not much longer than new hired TAs. If agent A says this is wrong, a lot will simply take their word. Heck, I've seen TA agents tell the redcoat what policy "is." Redcoat had/having no idea.

Without a photo of the damage, there's no way for us to know was it on good condition (which doesn't mean pristine) or was it truly damaged to point was an issue. If no agent anywhere, including US had issue with it, likely it was in "good" condition.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Redcoats are not managers, simply higher powered front line agents. Think of as a head cashier. No supervisory power, just another cashier, just they are looked to for advice. Some have been with company not much longer than new hired TAs. If agent A says this is wrong, a lot will simply take their word. Heck, I've seen TA agents tell the redcoat what policy "is." Redcoat had/having no idea.

Without a photo of the damage, there's no way for us to know was it on good condition (which doesn't mean pristine) or was it truly damaged to point was an issue. If no agent anywhere, including US had issue with it, likely it was in "good" condition.
None of this is relevant. OP admits it was damaged. Check in agent and "her manager" (as the OP described him, but sure, let's make him a "Red Coat" to further trivialize the issue and disrespect employees) both feel this is the case. They get to make the call. It was made. OP should share the story as a warning to others, not criticize the actions of the employees for doing their jobs.

For all we know, the check in agent or her "manager" had a warning in their file from allowing something like this in the past with a note that any additional incident could result in their termination. They more than get the benefit of the doubt in this story, IMHO.
wrp96, redrob and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Fair enough, it's been a while since I read the OP and didn't recall every detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.