Wiki Posts
Search

FC paid snack box?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
FC paid snack box?

I’ve never asked before, but is it common to be asked to pay for a snack box from coach when they run out of your choice for dinner when seated in domestic FC?

On a flight currently that advertises dinner in FC but they ran out of what would have been my first choice. None of the remaining choices seemed appetizing, so I asked if I could choose from the snack boxes being offered in coach. To my surprise, they asked for a credit card. Wasn’t sure if this was random and pathetic thread worthy, but was certainly irritating. Is that common? Not sure if it’s more petty on my part or Delta’s.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Shelf stable snack boxes are not officially part of the offering for FC on flights with fresh snack boxes. That said, in my experience many flight attendants will happily give you one for free if available. The FA who asked you to pay is probably in the right, technically.
ryandc99 and FabCW like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Technically right of the FA. I've never had one actually charge me though. They usually hand it out willingly.
estedman likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 7:54 pm

Yep, I’ve had this happen to me too. My kids prefer the snack boxes so I usually ask. On 7 out of 8 legs now since the FC meal boxes were introduced the FA has gotten it for us without hesitation. The other time it was rudely denied and she acted like couldn’t believe I would even ask such a thing. I’ve learned that yes, they are in the right to charge, but most don’t.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:25 pm

I had this exact situation on a paid FC fare (not comp upgrade) and wrote in on another airline and I got deep apologies and a $250 flight voucher.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:34 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
On Air Canada they used to (?) serve sparkling wine in coach but not F on domestic. 80% of the time the FAs would grab a bottle from coach as a one time exception but every once in a while I was told it was forbidden and/or a paid product lololol - and the price difference between AC F and DL F and economy is generally significantly more!!
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While technically they are probably correct to charge, I've actually never seen an FA ask for payment for a snack box from Y... especially when its because they are out of a meal choice.
Always seen FAs either provide the requested box when the F pax didn't want the meal choice, or proactively offer it as an alternative.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I was proactively when I declined the last remaining option a couple weeks ago. By the time the FA go to my row there was only one choice left and I was not interested. Without asking if I wanted a snack box she went and grabbed a couple from the back and came to my seat and then asked if I wanted one and which I preferred. But yes I believe technically they are suppose to charge for them. If they did indeed charge you, especially if you PAID for first class, I would write in a complaint on that.
gt5889a and dtwlarry like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by hotshot265
I was proactively when I declined the last remaining option a couple weeks ago. By the time the FA go to my row there was only one choice left and I was not interested. Without asking if I wanted a snack box she went and grabbed a couple from the back and came to my seat and then asked if I wanted one and which I preferred. But yes I believe technically they are suppose to charge for them. If they did indeed charge you, especially if you PAID for first class, I would write in a complaint on that.
Why???

A first class ticket doesn't entitle the passenger to anything but the published first class amenities. If they give you a snack box from the back at no charge, that's a nice thing to do. But it's not like they can take the first class "meal" that you declined and sell it in the back. So in effect, you are consuming two meals - the one you refused, and the one that they now can't sell in coach.

And people wonder why we can't have nice things.
Adam1222 and PanAmSam like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It does seem gauche to charge but I suppose one argument for the official policy being that FAs should charge for FC customers wanting them, could be that they can't track the inventory if it isn't charged for and DL (all airlines, really) is taking metrics on the uptake by route to figure out how much to stock.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
And people wonder why we can't have nice things.
Because it's called customer service to a First Class passenger who presumably paid or earned their spot there.
Good service is not charging someone 5 bucks for a box of food when First Class runs out of a First Class meal choice.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Because it's called customer service to a First Class passenger who presumably paid or earned their spot there.
Good service is not charging someone 5 bucks for a box of food when First Class runs out of a First Class meal choice.
Maybe they could just stop at Steak & Shake for you. That would be good service.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Maybe they could just stop at Steak & Shake for you. That would be good service.
Your point isn't missed but this isn't remotely the same thing.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

in principle it seems to make sense, but it’s an affront when *you* have to pay … just sayin’ …

once again, policy isn’t what’s written; policy is what’s practiced
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
To be fair too - I was on a flight in spring 2021 or early summer - where they ran out of snack boxes before even getting through C+… the guy next to me was irate because he had been counting on buying one - imagine if all the F pax gobble them up and Y goes hungry. Seems silly but something to think about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.