Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta award ticket cancellation for flight originating outside NA

Delta award ticket cancellation for flight originating outside NA

Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
What about cancelling a business class ticket award within the EU, IST-FCO. No charge?
Is Turkey in the EU now?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is Turkey in the EU now?
oops I was calculating my schengen stay limit, I meant Europe. I dont see in the EU with Russian ties.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:39 am

I just go off a chat with Delta. Hopefully this helps to consolidate and confirm the answers for Cancelling an International Award Flight NOT Origination in the U.S.:

You at 10:42, Oct 6:
If I book and award flight NOT originating in the U.S. and then cancel that flight before the departure date, will Delta charge a cancellation fee or a fee to redeposit my miles?

Read
Manuel at 10:46, Oct 6:
-- Hi Mo! Thanks for messaging with Delta. My name is Manuel. I'll be happy to assist you! Just to confirm you want to check if you made a International reservation using Miles and decided to cancel it before your departure. If you will receive a cancellation fee, is that correct?

You at 10:47, Oct 6:
yes any fee to cancel or redeposit the miles?

Read
Manuel at 10:50, Oct 6:
-- Thank you for that information,if you will book a Basic Economy ticket you will have a 19,900 Miles cancellation fee. However if you have a Main cabin class or a much higher class your Miles will be redeposit back on your account and the taxes will be refunded back on your card.

You at 10:51, Oct 6:
Okay, thank you. And that is for cancelling anytime before the departure date?

Read
Manuel at 10:53, Oct 6:
-- Yes you must cancel your flight at least 15minutes prior to boarding, once the boarding time on the gate closes you will be tagged as No Showin your reservation.

So, NO FEE TO CANCEL OR REDEPOSIT miles before departure unless its a Basic Economy ticket
* Though it would be helpful if Delta had this specific language on the website *
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Last edited by Mo Travel; Oct 6, 2022 at 9:55 am
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mo Travel
I just go off a chat with Delta. Hopefully this helps to consolidate and confirm the answers for Cancelling an International Award Flight NOT Origination in the U.S.:

You at 10:42, Oct 6:
If I book and award flight NOT originating in the U.S. and then cancel that flight before the departure date, will Delta charge a cancellation fee or a fee to redeposit my miles?

Read
Manuel at 10:46, Oct 6:
-- Hi Mo! Thanks for messaging with Delta. My name is Manuel. I'll be happy to assist you! Just to confirm you want to check if you made a International reservation using Miles and decided to cancel it before your departure. If you will receive a cancellation fee, is that correct?

You at 10:47, Oct 6:
yes any fee to cancel or redeposit the miles?

Read
Manuel at 10:50, Oct 6:
-- Thank you for that information,if you will book a Basic Economy ticket you will have a 19,900 Miles cancellation fee. However if you have a Main cabin class or a much higher class your Miles will be redeposit back on your account and the taxes will be refunded back on your card.

You at 10:51, Oct 6:
Okay, thank you. And that is for cancelling anytime before the departure date?

Read
Manuel at 10:53, Oct 6:
-- Yes you must cancel your flight at least 15minutes prior to boarding, once the boarding time on the gate closes you will be tagged as No Showin your reservation.

So, NO FEE TO CANCEL OR REDEPOSIT miles before departure unless its a Basic Economy ticket
* Though it would be helpful if Delta had this specific language on the website *
just because an agent says something doesn't mean it is correct. Most current agents have been given very minimal training.

Just like being told by 9 agents must reclear when SDC using a RUC. It's not true. The policy even states it. However the agents "know" you must reclear.

I've been told by multiple ticketing support agents that a GUC can't be used on non-DL metal!

You will likely not be charged as most agents aren't aware. However doesn't change fact if another agent does charge it, it is legit fee.
Mr. Tickets likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
I'm glad I found this thread after spending more than an hour trying to understand redeposit rules at DAL.. conclusion after all this wasted time: it's not clear at all.

I'm going to book an intra Asia award ticket and hope for the best if I need to cancel. Will play the Platinum Medallion card if things go wrong.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Does the Platinum waiver for redeposit fees only apply to the PM traveler? Or if PM books tickets for a party of three (on two reservations) does the waiver apply to all three or just the pair the PM is traveling on, or just the PM ticket?

Though it appears Delta IT is not keeping up with rules. Looking to book a OW SYD-PDX but might cancel or change for a better option on AS later. It seem my PM miles might be all that matter. But was unclear searching around.

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 6, 2022 at 11:56 pm
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
Does the Platinum waiver for redeposit fees only apply to the PM traveler? Or if PM books tickets for a party of three (on two reservations) does the waiver apply to all three or just the pair the PM is traveling on, or just the PM ticket?

Though it appears Delta IT is not keeping up with rules. Looking to book a OW SYD-PDX but might cancel or change for a better option on AS later. It seem my PM miles might be all that matter. But was unclear searching around.
The historical Plat/Diamond award redeposit fee waiver has always been based on the award being booked by the Plat/Diamond using miles from their account (see historical footnote from T&Cs below). It was not based on whether or not they were actually traveling on the award. The fee waiver did not apply if the Plat/Diamond was traveling on an award booked from someone else's account who did not have Plat/Diamond status. It also did not apply to awards booked from someone else's account on separate res who were just travel companions of the Plat/Diamond.

"(4) Award Ticket redeposit and reissue fees waived for Award Tickets redeemed from a Diamond or Platinum Medallion Member's account, except when flying on a Basic Economy (E) fare."
williwaw likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 7, 2022 at 6:31 am
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
It looks like Delta have changed their policy slightly so that it is no longer a case of no redeposit fees for flights originating out of North America, but rather no deposit fee specifically for flights originating out of US and Canada. I wanted to book some ex-Mexico awards and reading the terms they now seem to be ineligible for the redeposit fee waiver: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...vel-with-miles
For travel originating from the United States and Canada to anywhere in the world (including flights operated by joint venture and codeshare partners), Members may change or cancel Award tickets for travel without a redeposit or change fee

Not sure if they just have been lazy about keeping their website accurate though or whether this is actually a change in policy.

Regardless, am I right in thinking that any round trip skymiles ticket originating in US is fully refundable? e.g. US-EUROPE round trip?

EDIT: On this page of their website: https://www.delta.com/us/en/flight-d...es-award-deals they still refer to North America so I really have no clue what their actual policy is.

Last edited by Enigma368; Mar 11, 2023 at 9:14 pm
Old Mar 11, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Enigma368

Regardless, am I right in thinking that any round trip skymiles ticket originating in US is fully refundable? e.g. US-EUROPE round trip?
Yes, they look at the booking as whole when it is booked as roundtrip, and a roundtrip originating in US to EU would fully comply for free redeposit with rules as written. Booking as two one-ways from US to EU is generally going to cost more miles anyway. International awards to/from US/Canada generally have lower award mileage levels available for roundtrip bookings vs. booking as two one-ways -- open jaw bookings will also qualify for the lower roundtrip award levels. Note they will also often have 7-day minimum stay requirements. Also, one-way awards ex-EU will be subject to carrier imposed surcharges which ex-US roundtrip awards are not.
Enigma368 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Any recent DP on whether awards outside US are charged cancellation fee to get miles back?
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:54 pm

Anyone have any updates on this? I want to book intra-asia flights on Delta, but am not sure sure about the dates and want to know if there will be a fee for cancellation.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Hyatt Globalist / Leverage
I was looking to book an award flight from Japan to Taiwan on CI and I called to confirm the refund policy. 3 different agents 3 slightly different responses...

An agent over the phone at first said no penalties to cancel, but upon pressing him to look at the actual fare rules, he told me that the partner airline was assessing roughly a 7,000 mile penalty (of 30,000 used to book). The taxes and fees would go back though.

Agent over chat said that they could see that a penalty was going to be assessed by the partner but it was not visible to them until after the 24-hour window elapsed. He said that a phone rep would need to call CI to confirm. No further redeposit fees on the Delta side though.

Agent over the phone also said no penalties to cancel at first. I told them how the previous agents said something different. After about 30 min of digging around and reaching out to global partner support, she said that it's completely refundable despite the ticket saying non-refundable under My Trips.

Update: Ended up having to cancel the flight. The last agent was correct. Got all the miles back and the taxes sent back to the card.
puzo15 likes this.

Last edited by Ntropy; Nov 2, 2023 at 10:42 pm Reason: Update

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.