Basing from CLT or RDU?

Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Basing from CLT or RDU?

Hello all,

PM here w/ reserve, considering a new job that would want me to base in either ATL/CLT/RDU - my choice. Once I move, my trips will be between these cities as well as MIA/BNA/FLL/Other southeast with LAX about 4X a year. No int'l.

My personal preference on places to live would probably be CLT - RDU - ATL. I know that as far as frequencies, etc, the easiest would clearly be the exact opposite (if I wanted to stick with DL). I've come to like being a PM w/ delta, and really dislike AA. Upgrades on smaller jets, lounge access, priority board/baggage on family trips is all nice for me. The new Centurion Lounge in CLT works. With the changes to AA's FF program though, I could probably do decently with them.

At the end of the day, I'm clearly not going to decide where I want to live based on Airline...but if there are any CLT/RDU flyers here who care to chime in on what works and what doesn't, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!!
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Obviously I'm biased, but living in RDU (before moving to LAX) and using Delta has worked well, but it also gives you the ability to use other airlines as needed. Last I checked, DL RDU-MIA is on an RJ and DL RDU-FLL is a 717 or similar, so not too much better than something like AA with their Oasis/Kodiak 737s. But upgrades would be nice and even C+ on a CR9 feels nice to me. But AA's RDU-MIA frequencies are hard to beat.

RDU is also super quick to get in and out of if you don't have to check a bag. RDU-ATL has a lot of frequency, but it's a very elite heavy route. If you fly RDU-CLT, you'd have to suck it up and take AA, but for 35min air time, it's not bad. Or you can take an Amtrak with free wifi.

RDU-LAX has better frequencies on DL than AA, and as much as I hate the 737-900's seats, the $5 Viasat wifi is great. Shame it switches to a 738 in spring.

I've kinda given up on loyalty to one airline, but still use Delta a lot more than other airlines since they have newer interiors, reasonable prices, and good operations.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 3:59 pm

We love ATL suburbs Sandy Springs, Peachtree City and Newnan. Close to everything.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The ground traffic around CLT is pretty bad, if you will be flying a lot you should factor that into your quality of life equation.

RDU (where I'm based) is a great airport with very easy access, and Delta has a good number of destinations served non-stop, plus of course all of the DL hubs. The most frequency is to ATL but that route is very elite heavy these days.
MSPeconomist and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
I’ve been doing this for a lot of years now and RDU has to be one of the best airports out there. DL has good routes, good connections and the airport is a dream to operate through.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Adding a vote for RDU

I live 2 hours down the road from RDU (at ILM). About once a year I will make the drive to RDU for schedule or better routing.

it’s a great little airport. (So is ILM by the way).

CLT is just this side of awful. The new Amex lounge helps but connecting from a regional carrier to mainline on AA is awful and in the summer it is a zoo as they keep adding flights to Europe without enough gates.

ATL is well, ATL. Great for a big airport but of course super elite heavy and has the traffic of a major city.

I suppose it comes down to which city offers the best quality of life for you
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this is been very helpful. I fly to all these airports now from NY, so I do understand a bit about them. It’s funny - RDU is my airport preference, CLT my life preference and ATL is probably the easiest. Nothing is ever easy! I think I do prefer the new Amex lounge in CLT vs the sky club in RDU. Unless IRROPS of course!
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I split my time between DC and Chapel Hill so fly from DCA and RDU.
RDU is an easy airport to deal with - quick access. But - ground transportation is a pain. Early morning flights it is rough to get either rideshare from Chapel Hill to RDU and for late night arrivals it can mean a 30 minute or more wait at the airport. But parking is cheap - either on the airport or with one of the off-airport lots.
SkyClub at RDU is quite nice and very seldom crowded.
Recent experience as a DM is that ATL-RDU and vv upgrades to FC can be rough. Last 2 trips ATL-RDU evenings, I was lower than 10/30 or so on the ug list for FC. But if I connect through DTW, MSP, or LGA then upgrades are pretty good.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
CLT is the seventh circle of hell as an airport and I feel like the city is just kind of mheh. DL is a bit out of the fray over in the A concourse but there is no SC there. As folks say, RDU is a nice airport and has a SC. ATL is a great airport but, as someone who used to live in ATL, I would say that the traffic in ATL, particularly if you live downtown or points north, is just horrible.
DiverDave, fsuj25 and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
CLT is the seventh circle of hell as an airport and I feel like the city is just kind of mheh. DL is a bit out of the fray over in the A concourse but there is no SC there. As folks say, RDU is a nice airport and has a SC. ATL is a great airport but, as someone who used to live in ATL, I would say that the traffic in ATL, particularly if you live downtown or points north, is just horrible.
I don't disagree but I think the A gates & the centurion lounge have made it tolerable for me...
HDQDD likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Peachtree City and Newnan are both very easily accessible to ATL.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
DL's options from CLT are fairly limited. If you want to go anywhere other than ATL, MSP, DTW, JFK/LGA, BOS, and SLC, you're making a connection. Flights to these cities are on large RJ's (E175, CR9) or small mainline (319, 320, 738, 717). Sometimes the SLC route is a 321. There are no nonstops to the DL hubs in SEA or LAX.

If you're making frequent trips to MIA, BNA, FLL, and other southeastern cities, it would probably be easier if you flew AA instead since CLT is AA's second-largest hub.

The plus side from basing in CLT -- regardless of if you fly DL or AA -- is that it makes driving to Atlanta or Raleigh viable options and you can avoid flying altogether.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I've spent a lot of time in both. As far as airports go, RDU is a much easier and faster option to commute from. CLT has a terrible ramp and the airport is utilized far beyond its design.

RDU has served me well. It ain't the most happening place in the World, but has a very educated, affluent population and lots of good restaurants/watering holes. It's also only 2 hours from the beach and 3 hours from the mountains.

As others have said, if you plan to continue with DL, you have a lot more options from RDU (assuming a return to pre-pandemic service levels eventually).

If I could live anywhere I wanted, I'd prob choose ILM over RDU or CLT. I find CLT to be one of the more boring cities I go to, but then again, I'm not in banking and if you ain't in banking you're a nobody in CLT.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I moved to suburban Raleigh about two and a half years ago. After ORD/MDW for the last 30 years, RDU still has the great feel of a small airport but with a reasonable route network. I'm probably 55% DL, 25% AA+UA (but mostly on ORD award nonstops), and 20% WN. If DL rebuilds their RDU CR9 network post-Covid, it's really convenient. WN doesn't have a lot of flights but they have 4 gates in their own terminal, so you can be from your car to the gate incredibly quickly assuming you have PreCheck.

The only thing is that I'd never actually fly a trip just from Raleigh to Charlotte. It's 2.5 hours by car from my house outside of Raleigh to the Charlotte airport, which is beyond downtown Charlotte. I'd just take the mileage allowance and then stop in Lexington on my way home for some barbeque.
MSPeconomist and NickDakota like this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I moved to suburban Raleigh about two and a half years ago. After ORD/MDW for the last 30 years, RDU still has the great feel of a small airport but with a reasonable route network. I'm probably 55% DL, 25% AA+UA (but mostly on ORD award nonstops), and 20% WN. If DL rebuilds their RDU CR9 network post-Covid, it's really convenient. WN doesn't have a lot of flights but they have 4 gates in their own terminal, so you can be from your car to the gate incredibly quickly assuming you have PreCheck.

The only thing is that I'd never actually fly a trip just from Raleigh to Charlotte. It's 2.5 hours by car from my house outside of Raleigh to the Charlotte airport, which is beyond downtown Charlotte. I'd just take the mileage allowance and then stop in Lexington on my way home for some barbeque.
RDU-PHL is currently scheduled to return May 5th and RDU-ORD on June 6th (ORD is loaded with smaller CR7's). RDU-BDL/BWI/PIT/CLE/CMH/IND/CVG/BNA are no longer loaded in the future schedule and don't appear to be coming back anytime soon. RDU-CDG is currently scheduled to restart on August 3rd at 3x weekly (CVG-CDG is also loaded at 3x weekly starting in August).
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 21, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.