FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2058638-consolidated-year-end-push-status-next-level-advice-how-thread.html)

onebobobo Nov 30, 2021 8:27 am

Why don’t you look at a flight with connections both ways? Easy way to add MQMs and you may find cheap FCM offers.

Originally Posted by StangGT909 (Post 33770913)
5,604 short for Platinum
Detroit based
Is it worth the push to get it?

Remaining flights this year (this is factored into my 5,604 already)
Vegas: 5,248
Aruba: 6,932

I don't completely understand the math on the Comfort + and First "upgrades", but I'm traveling with my girlfriend so I would have to consider the cost of upgrade x 2 people, and I'm thinking a solo mileage run makes more sense - But let me know if I'm wrong

Mileage run: I've never done one specifically for miles, but I'm not really interested in getting a hotel for a night ... If I do this I think my goal would be to do a there/back in 1 day. For those that do this, is it crazy to basically spend an entire day on a plane just to earn platinum lol?

Award Flight: I'd like to find one using miles, ex. Denver on 12/7 I can go round trip for 14,000 miles! But it's not enough MQM..

Route: I'm having a hard time finding the right route, as most nonstop flights from Detroit, ex. Denver, Florida, etc. are short.

Denver (basic - 14K) is 3400 MQM, (Comfort + 28K is 3,972) (First 48K 5,972... that works but its too many miles)
LAX: MQM works, but mile cost is as high as Denver first class and it's a longer flight

Any suggestions?

FabCW Nov 30, 2021 9:34 am

Can anyone tell me how many MQMs I’ll be getting for this upcoming trip?
MKE > ATL > CDG > NCE
NCE > AMS > DTW > MKE
D1, Z fare
Gold Medallion

StangGT909 Nov 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by onebobobo (Post 33771109)
Why don’t you look at a flight with connections both ways? Easy way to add MQMs and you may find cheap FCM offers.

I'm trying! I haven't found the sweet spot yet, still looking a good combination

xliioper Nov 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by StangGT909 (Post 33771890)
I'm trying! I haven't found the sweet spot yet, still looking a good combination

You're looking too late in the year for the really good MQM deals out of DTW. They were last bookable about a week ago. DTW-SEA-PHX-SEA-DTW with immediate turn was available from 18K miles in main cabin and earns 9K MQM with promo. For future reference, you want to try to book year end mileage runs sometime before Thanksgiving to find best deals due to cheap fares advance purchase requirements and holiday travel demand in the latter half of December.

You can still do DTW-LAX-PHX-DTW with immediate turn on 12/14 for 22K in BE which earns 6K+ MQMs (the calculator gets the number wrong because LAX-PHX is a connection carrier).
DTW-LGA-MIA-LGA-DTW is available from 12K miles on some dates, but only earns about 4.5K MQM's. Upfaring to C+ is still somewhat short of 5.6K MQMs.

xliioper Nov 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by FabCW (Post 33771279)
Can anyone tell me how many MQMs I’ll be getting for this upcoming trip?
MKE > ATL > CDG > NCE
NCE > AMS > DTW > MKE
D1, Z fare
Gold Medallion

Before or after 12/31? (and is ATL-CDG on DL metal, or AF?). Status level does not have any bearing on MQM earning.

FabCW Nov 30, 2021 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 33772010)
Before or after 12/31? (and is ATL-CDG on DL metal, or AF?). Status level does not have any bearing on MQM earning.

Before 12/31
ATL-CDG is AF
AMS-DTW is DL

GLOBALFLYERCT Nov 30, 2021 4:02 pm

Need $250 MQD for Diamond

Close to Diamond and no more flights planned.

I would like to qualify so I can get the upgrade and lounge choice benefits and I am currently 14751 MQD.

I am thinking of taking a $250 (excluding taxes and fees) turnaround single day round trip to get the MQD. I know I could also use the sky miles option to pay for a flight but I have a $200 voucher to use.

Are there any workarounds to get this small quantity of MQD other than BIS just so I can save my time?

Thanks for the help

Jon_R Nov 30, 2021 4:41 pm

I have the same situation and decided to book an award ticket MLB > ATL Fly up in evening get a room at the airport then fly back in the morning. I didn't see how to get MQDs without flying. It is one hour in the air one way.

sydneyracquelle Nov 30, 2021 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jon_R (Post 33772451)
I have the same situation and decided to book an award ticket MLB > ATL Fly up in evening get a room at the airport then fly back in the morning. I didn't see how to get MQDs without flying. It is one hour in the air one way.

Why not do both on a Saturday and save the hotel cost?

xliioper Nov 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by FabCW (Post 33772174)
Before 12/31
ATL-CDG is AF
AMS-DTW is DL

ATL-CDG (and CDG-NCE/NCE-AMS) won't qualify for accelerator bonus since they are not DL operated. It should earn roughly 21.7K MQMs.

FabCW Nov 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 33772781)
ATL-CDG (and CDG-NCE/NCE-AMS) won't qualify for accelerator bonus since they are not DL operated. It should earn roughly 21.7K MQMs.

That’s great news! I need 20k to make it to Plat!
Probably the only time I will ever make this status. 🤣
thanks for your input!

vsmbmvsmbm Dec 1, 2021 10:49 pm

How do I quickly gain a few MQD to reach status

hello all
I need $382 before end of December to reach gold status.
How do I do that fast?
I have a flight to Europe mid December 21 (return in Jan 22).
will the MQDs for this ticket be added the day I start the trip or have they been added when I paid for the ticket?
thanks

T-15.01 Dec 1, 2021 11:06 pm

Each segment is posted after it has flown. So your flight in 2021 even if part of a round trip that finishes in 2022 will post whatever segment/s you fly and land before Dec 31.

Let's say for arguments sake there are 2 flights, 1 ticket....JFK-CDG on Dec 20, 2021 and CDG-JFK on Jan 1, 2022. Let's assume it is $500 MQD per sector and $1000 ticket cost plus the taxes.

Then on or around Dec 21 you should see your MQD balance for the year go up by $500.

Etc

xliioper Dec 1, 2021 11:08 pm

You don't earn MQD until you actually fly. 12/21 trips will count towards 2021 earn, 1/22 will not. Can't give you much more information without further details about flights and what you paid for them.

MSPeconomist Dec 2, 2021 12:01 am

Originally Posted by cakiwi (Post 33776219)
Each segment is posted after it has flown. So your flight in 2021 even if part of a round trip that finishes in 2022 will post whatever segment/s you fly and land before Dec 31.

Let's say for arguments sake there are 2 flights, 1 ticket....JFK-CDG on Dec 20, 2021 and CDG-JFK on Jan 1, 2022. Let's assume it is $500 MQD per sector and $1000 ticket cost plus the taxes.

Then on or around Dec 21 you should see your MQD balance for the year go up by $500.

Etc

The rule isn't "fly and land" in 2021. What counts is the *scheduled* departure time of the segment, in the local time one of the departure airport. So if you have a flight scheduled to depart on NYE (December 31st before midnight) but arrive after midnight and then connect to a second segment, the first segment will credit to 2021, even if it is delayed and departs after midnight.

Note however that MQDs are allocated proportionate to distance regardless of actual fare construction, so the MQDs that you earn can differ from what you might expect. MQMs are based on distance (with the 500 miles minimum for DL flights) and bonuses are a percentage.