Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:09 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Not sure on the status challenge, but the simple answer to being short on MQD is just take the trip you're planning on but pay for a more expensive fare, maybe first class one or both ways.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The challenge is actually a match challenge (you have to have status on another carrier to enroll). As noted above, the easiest path is just to buy up to First Class on a flight (assuming it's an option). Note that flights this year also get the Status Accelerator bonus for MQD/MQM/MQS. Seat upgrade fee get base price (subtract 7.5% excise tax) plus 75% bonus on base towards MQDs.
Pittie Pup likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 12, 2021 at 8:29 am
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Either buy up to FC (it's better to call and upfare rather than just paying a fee for a FC seat on a segment or paying to change to a FC seat during OLCI) or take a small additional trip (mileage run) somewhere where the fare (not including taxes and government imposed fees) is not much more than the MQDs you need. It might be fun to fly somewhere for a day of holiday shopping or you could do a little weekend trip someplace fun rather than just flying out and back in order to give $150 to DL.

BTW, in doing your calculations, are you including the accelerator promo earnings?
ElliottMB likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:18 am

MQM Question

Hello,
I have the AE Platinum card and don't have any flights planned for the remaining year. It looks like i need 5k MQM in order to move up in status. Without flights coming up how does one accumulate these to get the bump in status? I have met spend on my card already so that half is done.

This stuff is new to me to be fully transparent so any info would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bline22
Hello,
I have the AE Platinum card and don't have any flights planned for the remaining year. It looks like i need 5k MQM in order to move up in status. Without flights coming up how does one accumulate these to get the bump in status? I have met spend on my card already so that half is done.

This stuff is new to me to be fully transparent so any info would be helpful.

Thanks.
Do you mean the Delta Plat Amex card (as opposed to unbranded Amex Platinum)? The Delta Plat Amex card has MQM Boosts of 12.5K MQMs for every $25K in spend (up to $100K). Other than that, you will either have to fly or perhaps apply for a different DL Amex card that has a signup MQM bonus offer (although it's getting late in the year for that). They have done end-of-year MQM buy-up offers in the past, but they have generally been quite pricey (it will likely be much cheaper to take a mileage run).
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
The cheapest way to earn 5k MQM is to fly. Without knowing where you are based, it's hard to suggest mileage run routings, but the status accelerator this year means you only need to actually fly 3500 MQM on a regular economy ticket by the end of the year to earn that 5k. One trans-con roundtrip would easily knock that out.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by TuxTom
The cheapest way to earn 5k MQM is to fly. Without knowing where you are based, it's hard to suggest mileage run routings, but the status accelerator this year means you only need to actually fly 3500 MQM on a regular economy ticket by the end of the year to earn that 5k. One trans-con roundtrip would easily knock that out.
Or do it in C+ for a 1.75 boost on 2860 base MQM.

Tell us where you're based and days of the week you could do it and we'll give you some suggestions for a 1 day MR
BSAChris likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: Working to get back to status!
Thank you - yes, I am taking the status accelerator promo into account!

The mileage/status run always seems like an option but I'm not sure its worth it for Silver...
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:55 am

Thanks for the replies. I am out of Fargo, ND. Yes the Delta Plat Amex card.

SuperG1955 What is a C+?

As far as the statuses go too when does it make sense to do a trans con flight for example to get the upgrade. This is a lower status upgrade to be clear. I was just starting to fly a lot starting about 6 months before the pandemic hit and now haven't since sadly. I foresee it increasing however again 2022 maybe mid year. This status bump would only be from Silver to Gold.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
If you have anticipated DL travel for next year, then Silver may be worth it. Free checked bag, free preferred seats, (very slight) chance at upgrades, etc.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
With 100% of MQMs rolling over at the end of 2021, it’s also silver, if not gold for 2023 if you hit the MQD or waiver in 2022.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by bline22
Thanks for the replies. I am out of Fargo, ND. Yes the Delta Plat Amex card.

SuperG1955 What is a C+?

As far as the statuses go too when does it make sense to do a trans con flight for example to get the upgrade. This is a lower status upgrade to be clear. I was just starting to fly a lot starting about 6 months before the pandemic hit and now haven't since sadly. I foresee it increasing however again 2022 maybe mid year. This status bump would only be from Silver to Gold.
C+ is Comfort+, which are the extra leg room seats at the front of the economy cabin. During Deltas status accelerator, fares booked into C+ earn 1.75 MQM.

Flying from Fargo, you also get a bit of a boost as you would connect in MSP, which is less than 500 miles. All flights under 500 miles earn a minimum 500 MQM, before the status accelerator is factored in.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsanders
Thank you - yes, I am taking the status accelerator promo into account!

The mileage/status run always seems like an option but I'm not sure its worth it for Silver...
With the accelerator promo, any FCM buy-up offer of $93 or more would yield over 150 MQDs. No need for a separate mileage run (assuming there is a decent FCM offer available on your existing flights).
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:16 pm

I'm going to end the year less than 100 MQM short of gold (after my final trip in Dec), is my only option a mileage run?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:28 pm

Thanks TuxTom . If i were to fly round trip from Fargo to Las Vegas would that be enough? I had also thought about doing that this year yet or Spokane. Out of Fargo on Delta we always go first to Minneapolis. What is the status accelerator bonus as well if i were to do this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.