Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
In my view, it is absolutely worth pushing for. I have gotten exponentially greater value out of PM than I got as a GM (and I'm also SEA-based). C+ at booking is huge and I've done well with my RUCs, despite all the horror stories I had heard about trying to use them. As with anything, it varies by flyer and greatly depends on your home base. I suspect I get a lot more out of PM as a SEA flyer that a PM in ATL might.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:29 pm

End of Year - Millage Runs

Need roughly 7k miles to achieve gold status prior to end of year. ATL home city.. Worth it?

Ideas on trips/legs? Best mileage/price trip ideas?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's pretty late in the year to expect to find much of anything decent. You need to generally book sometime before Thanksgiving for early to mid-December travel to get best fares for end-of-year runs (due to advance purchase requirements for cheaper fares and heavy holiday travel demand starting in mid-December). You can do ATL-LGB roundtrip on 12/14 for $339 which would earn around 6500 MQMs with Status Accelerator. Not seeing much else out there.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 11, 2021 at 8:00 pm
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's pretty late in the year to expect to find much of anything decent. You need to generally book sometime before Thanksgiving for early to mid-December travel to get best fares (due to advance purchase requirements for cheaper fares and heavy holiday travel demand starting in mid-December) for end-of-year runs. You can do ATL-LGB roundtrip on 12/14 for $339 which would earn around 6500 MQMs. Not seeing much else out there.
Originally Posted by CullenB
Need roughly 7k miles to achieve gold status prior to end of year. ATL home city.. Worth it?

Ideas on trips/legs? Best mileage/price trip ideas?

Unless you're going to fly at very odd times, you're very unlikely to get upgraded out of ATL. Do the math on the value of gold status (checked bags, sky priority, etc.) and figure out whether that's worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't do a mileage run just to get Gold
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:07 am

Worth a Mileage Run to Diamond?

My significant other is currently a Delta DM. She is 4,912 MQMs short of qualifying for DM for 2022, but has met the MQD requirements. It is my understanding that her DM status and MQMs will carry forward to 2022, but that she will have lower upgrade priority than a DM that "organically" qualifies for status in 2021. She will also need to meet the MQD requirements in 2022 (plus earn 4,912 MQMs) to have DM status in 2023. One other benfit she will lose by not meeting the DM MQMs in 2021 is the choice benefits for DM. Is my understanding correct?

If so, is it worth making a mileage run in 2021 for the 4,912 MQMs needed to qualify for DM status in 2022? We are based in MSP. She is less likely to meet the MQD requirements for DM in 2022 and the choice benefit loss could be somewhat costly. Thanks for any insights.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM
Your understanding is correct. She will be rollover DM versus organic DM, which has slightly lower priority. This also means she will not get DM CB.

What is the cost of the extra 4,912 MQMs and how much does she value upgrade priority and CB? Sounds simple enough but not much time left this year to get it done.

Originally Posted by biffer
My significant other is currently a Delta DM. She is 4,912 MQMs short of qualifying for DM for 2022, but has met the MQD requirements. It is my understanding that her DM status and MQMs will carry forward to 2022, but that she will have lower upgrade priority than a DM that "organically" qualifies for status in 2021. She will also need to meet the MQD requirements in 2022 (plus earn 4,912 MQMs) to have DM status in 2023. One other benfit she will lose by not meeting the DM MQMs in 2021 is the choice benefits for DM. Is my understanding correct?

If so, is it worth making a mileage run in 2021 for the 4,912 MQMs needed to qualify for DM status in 2022? We are based in MSP. She is less likely to meet the MQD requirements for DM in 2022 and the choice benefit loss could be somewhat costly. Thanks for any insights.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade priority will be the second tie breaker which is fairly significant. A DM with earned status will outrank even if in a lower fare class.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
MQM Math Check

Could someone double-check my MQM math for me here.

I need 16,168 MQMs for DM and have 1 flight left for the year. The return leg of this flight is on 12/31 so no options to add miles after this.

I have IND-ATL-SLC-JAC-ATL-IND in J which I believe is 16460 MQMs thought the DL site when books lists it at 14,XXX MQMs or so.

Thanks for the double-check.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by biffer

4 GUCs is definitely worth the mileage run to get 4912 MQM.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 8:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by catlike
Could someone double-check my MQM math for me here.

I need 16,168 MQMs for DM and have 1 flight left for the year. The return leg of this flight is on 12/31 so no options to add miles after this.

I have IND-ATL-SLC-JAC-ATL-IND in J which I believe is 16460 MQMs thought the DL site when books lists it at 14,XXX MQMs or so.

Thanks for the double-check.
I think there's currently a bug where DL Connection flights aren't included in the MQM calculation on the checkout screen.

When you say J do you mean actual J booking class? Or just generically business class. Including the 500-mile minimum on the short flights, I come up with ~4662 base miles, so in discounted biz that's 4662 x 1.5 x 1.75 = 12238 MQMs, or in full J 4662 x 2 x 1.75 = 16317. Plus or minus 5, because DL's MQM doesn't always exactly match gcmap and also they seem to throw in a couple random extra MQMs when calculating the 1.75.

Anyway if you need 16,168 then the 16,317 should be safe, but in full J, ouch $$$. Is this a trip you need to take anyway or is it a mileage run? If you're eligible for any of the AMEX signup bonuses, the Reserve and Plat both have offers that include an MQM component right now which would help knock off the total # of MQMs required.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
Ah, Zorak thanks for the reply!

Yes I did mean J as generically biz/first class. I didn't realize only J booked at 200% (I see part of the itinerary is in C which explains the difference).

Not a mileage run, family commitments, No DL AMEX but that's something to consider.

Much appreciated!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The calculator definitely erroneously excludes Connection flights from bonus. They will credit correctly once flown.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta
my last biz trip of the year got cancelled and now i'm 6900 MQMs short of diamond. nyc based. looking for best options for day trip...? thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyeguy
my last biz trip of the year got cancelled and now i'm 6900 MQMs short of diamond. nyc based. looking for best options for day trip...? thanks!
JFK-SEA can be done for $413.20 roundtrip on 12/23 or 12/25.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta
thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.