Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated year-end push for status/next level advice/how-to thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I am in somewhat the same position. Was thinking about a MR to get platinum this year. But with the roll over I might as well wait until I take a flight next year. With one flight and the roll over I will hit platinum for 22 and have it through the end of 23. That is platinum would start once the level is reached not at the end of year.
Unless you are MQD exempt, you won't be Platinum next year until you also either hit the Plat $9K MQD requirement (MQDs do not rollover) or the $25K DL Amex spend MQD Waiver requirement. You will also miss out on getting a 2022 Plat Choice Benefit selection as you will only earn a 2023 Plat Choice Benefit whenever you hit Plat in 2022. There's really no downside to hitting Plat in 2021, while there are several potential upsides. The 2022 Plat Choice Benefit alone is worth a minimum of $200.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Unless you are MQD exempt, you won't be Platinum next year until you also either hit the Plat $9K MQD requirement (MQDs do not rollover) or the $25K DL Amex spend MQD Waiver requirement. You will also miss out on getting a 2022 Plat Choice Benefit selection as you will only earn a 2023 Plat Choice Benefit whenever you hit Plat in 2022. There's really no downside to hitting Plat in 2021, while there are several potential upsides. The 2022 Plat Choice Benefit alone is worth a minimum of $200.
Is the RUC the best choice benefit?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta, United
Ah yes, good point. I forgot about hitting the $25K DL Amex spend MQD Waiver requirement as well. I never think about it as I always hit it regardless.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Ah yes, good point. I forgot about hitting the $25K DL Amex spend MQD Waiver requirement as well. I never think about it as I always hit it regardless.
I spent a couple of flights last year where MQD waiver spend hadn’t caught up with MQM yet and it was definitely annoying to know upgrades had been missed because of that.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Question on MQD earning. I just realized after returning from a trip to Spain last week, that I will be coming up ~$175 short on MQD for earned DM. I have one more trip to visit family for Christmas so my only chance to do a mileage run would be this coming weekend, which honestly I don't really feel like doing. I think the choice benefits would be worth a one day r/t to PHX or SLC, but not really wanting to.

Is there any other way to get the small amount of MQD needed without flying? Thank you.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Question on MQD earning. I just realized after returning from a trip to Spain last week, that I will be coming up ~$175 short on MQD for earned DM. I have one more trip to visit family for Christmas so my only chance to do a mileage run would be this coming weekend, which honestly I don't really feel like doing. I think the choice benefits would be worth a one day r/t to PHX or SLC, but not really wanting to.

Is there any other way to get the small amount of MQD needed without flying? Thank you.
Not unless you can find they made an accounting error or you can put $250,000 on a Delta credit card VERY quickly.

Last edited by flyerfirsts; Dec 6, 2021 at 11:57 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb

you can also just upfare your planned Christmas ticket to get the MQDs you need
BSAChris and onebobobo like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkCron
you can also just upfare your planned Christmas ticket to get the MQDs you need
Thanks, I'm already upgraded but I guess I can see how much to change to refundable, I didn't think of that one. I was hoping I missed a notice about buying gift cards counting or something, but I guess not.

And LOL to the poster on spending $250k on the Amex real quick!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:01 pm

Thanks, I'm already upgraded but I guess I can see how much to change to refundable, I didn't think of that one. I was hoping I missed a notice about buying gift cards counting or something, but I guess not.

A phone rep can also just charge you for a higher fare class without changing the fare type.
And who knows, maybe you're a gray market Rolex dealer and your business cycles $750k in a week.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb

you can also ask for a more expensive fare class in F, or maybe that is what you were saying
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:51 pm

Well, unfortunately the fare difference was more that $1,000 so looks like I'm flying this weekend. Thanks for the ideas though.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:21 pm

Well, unfortunately the fare difference was more that $1,000 so looks like I'm flying this weekend. Thanks for the ideas though.
there's some great food in SLC, not a bad trip.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
if you hit platinum this year and don't take a single flight in 2022 but you do hit the mqd waiver in 2022 you will still have platinum until 2 1 24, with the benefit of you also have it all 2022 before you hit the mqd waiver

Sorry for delayed response, but your comment was the question I was specifically looking to have answered. I hope you’re right , but I was skeptical that the situation would work that way (still be platinum until 2024). Is this a belief or is this stated somewhere in their Covid roll-over policy terms ?
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StangGT909
Sorry for delayed response, but your comment was the question I was specifically looking to have answered. I hope you’re right , but I was skeptical that the situation would work that way (still be platinum until 2024). Is this a belief or is this stated somewhere in their Covid roll-over policy terms ?
You will rollover all MQMs into 2022 regardless of your status level at the end of 2021. This means if you end 2021 with 75K+ MQMs, you will start 2022 with 75K+ MQMs. All you need for 2023 Plat status (which runs until 1/31/2024) is to hit the Amex MQD spend waiver sometime in 2022. DL does not distinguish between the sources of your MQMs.

I posted this same info yesterday in response to your post in the schedule change thread -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33786196-post2377.html
Pianoman109876 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 7, 2021 at 8:14 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
You will rollover all MQMs into 2022 regardless of your status level at the end of 2021. This means if you end 2021 with 75K+ MQMs, you will start 2022 with 75K+ MQMs. All you need for 2023 status (which runs until 1/31/2024) is to hit the Amex MQD spend waiver sometime in 2022. DL does not distinguish between the sources of your MQMs.

I posted this same info yesterday in response to your post in the schedule change thread -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33786196-post2377.html

Ok thank you for the confirmation and sorry for posting in the wrong thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.