Wiki Posts
Search

KLM-DL AMS connection question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
KLM-DL AMS connection question

I've booked one of my progeny on a DL flight from AMS to ATL in Dec. If I book a separate KLM flight from EDI to AMS, will he be able to check his bags in EDI through to ATL? I'd assumed that KLM will interline with DL, but there seems to be some question about that.

Is 1 hour 10 minutes sufficient transfer time in AMS? I've done shorter there, but all on one KLM PNR.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by econprof
I've booked one of my progeny on a DL flight from AMS to ATL in Dec. If I book a separate KLM flight from EDI to AMS, will he be able to check his bags in EDI through to ATL? I'd assumed that KLM will interline with DL, but there seems to be some question about that.

Is 1 hour 10 minutes sufficient transfer time in AMS? I've done shorter there, but all on one KLM PNR.

Thanks in advance.
Yes they'll through check bags if asked. Time isn't an issue. No need to reclear security and will not be going through immigration at AMS. Thus they'll just wall from one gate straight to the other. (Or lounge even for 5-15 minute visit)
econprof and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Plus the COVID-19 docs/health checks @AMS as Delta's FlyReady and KLM Upload @ Home are at the moment basically non functional there will be lines only after those checks you will get a BP.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Plus the COVID-19 docs/health checks @AMS as Delta's FlyReady and KLM Upload @ Home are at the moment basically non functional there will be lines only after those checks you will get a BP.
They'll get BP at EDI for DL flight if checking bags across tickets. Only thing theyll need to do is answer the security questions at the DL gate and hand in a filled out CDC form. (Blank CDC forms at gate if don't have one)
econprof likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
1 hour 10 minutes on "connection" separate tickets is risky at any hub with any airline. I've done UK-AMS-US many times but on single tickets. A little fog in AMS can cause the UK flight to be held on the ground. It's happened to me in the past and I'm sure it will happen again. I wouldn't risk it this connection on separate tickets, not even at AMS.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ecaarch
1 hour 10 minutes on "connection" separate tickets is risky at any hub with any airline. I've done UK-AMS-US many times but on single tickets. A little fog in AMS can cause the UK flight to be held on the ground. It's happened to me in the past and I'm sure it will happen again. I wouldn't risk it this connection on separate tickets, not even at AMS.
What? Yes 1.1 connection can be risky at some airports. However each airport is setup differently. Also KL/DL protects across tickets for each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.