Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta changes/devaluation to GUC Program -2022 (Only 1 Class of Service Upgrade)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
New master GUC thread started for GUC discussion post 2/1 rules with class codes and aircraft scenario chart in that WIKI.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...2-changes.html

Effective February 1 (including if waitlisted but haven't cleared) GUC change. RUC do not change at all, except for change in expiration date policy.

You will clear immediately into First Class on any connecting flights that have a First Class cabin and any available First Class seats for sale. This only applies when using a GUC -- RUCs will continue to require available upgrade inventory to clear immediately.

DL operated Flights with PS -
You now will clear immediately to PS as long as any seats are available for sale. No needing to hope for upgrade space. You will be added to waitlist for D1 that will clear starting at T-24. You do not need an additional upgrade certificate for the D1 waitlist, a single upgrade certificate (per person-direction) covers PS at booking + D1 waitlist. There is no option to use 2 certificates to upgrade from main cabin to D1.

If you wish to upgrade to D1 before T-24 you must buy a PS fare and there must be upgrade award space.

DL operated flights without PS -

Main cabin fare can upgrade to D1 if award space is available at anytime. (No change)

Partner flights -

KLM flights continue to upgrade to business class for now. KLM is in the process of introducing a real premium economy cabin.

Air France flights have reverted to old rules, either buy economy and upgrade to premium economy or buy premium economy and upgrade to business.

Virgin Atlantic flights are buy economy and upgrade to premium economy or buy premium economy and upgrade to business.

Partner-operated flights upgraded to premium economy do not include the business class waitlist within 24 hours.

More to be added as more time allows. Feel free to help edit.

EXPIRATION DATE CHANGES

Starting 2/1/22, RUC & GUC expiration dates will change. They will no longer be valid for 12 months from the date you select them -- they will be valid through the end of that Medallion Year.

Print Wikipost

Delta changes/devaluation to GUC Program -2022 (Only 1 Class of Service Upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Delta continues to add in my view insult to injury as the TPG is reporting on Deltas 2022 summer expansion and one comment stood out as clearly Deltas way of getting around the 3 cabin direct D1 upgrade with saying per Delta “Every European flight will offer a Premium Select cabin next summer”

link to article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...ork-expansion/
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Sxc7887
Delta continues to add in my view insult to injury as the TPG is reporting on Deltas 2022 summer expansion and one comment stood out as clearly Deltas way of getting around the 3 cabin direct D1 upgrade with saying per Delta “Every European flight will offer a Premium Select cabin next summer”

The PS news about PS continuing to expand to more flights is good for those of us who won't be getting GUCs but may look to PS as an option when D1 isn't, but definitely a major devaluation for the GUCs.

What will be interesting too is that the PS cabin is smaller (in seat numbers) than the D1 cabin on many DL aircraft. Not sure what DL's PS sales are indicating, but this could make it difficult to buy PS if the cabin is filling up with DMs applying GUCs and clearing right away, not only by fewer seats being available but also if these upgrades remove cheaper fare bucket options for PS.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Nov 8, 2021 at 6:25 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
Maybe this is true. I hope it is true.

But the e-mail from Delta reads: "Beginning February 1, 2022, all newly selected Upgrade Certificates must be redeemed in the Medallion Year associated with that Choice Benefit selection".
Now this move is truly idiotic
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
CB have always been associated with the year for which status was.. just that we get to select it as soon as earned. I don't think anything is changing except must be used by end if the status year.

I think they're trying to prevent people using 8 in a year.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:11 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
What will be interesting too is that the PS cabin is smaller (in seat numbers) than the D1 cabin on many DL aircraft. Not sure what DL's PS sales are indicating, but this could make it difficult to buy PS if the cabin is filling up with DMs applying GUCs and clearing right away, not only by fewer seats being available but also if these upgrades remove cheaper fare bucket options for PS.
The 40+ seat PS cabins installed pre-pandemic on the A350s and 777s were definitely an outlier compared to most airlines (with the exception of a few like the Taiwanese carriers, and BA’s pre-pandemic LGW retrofit), whereas the 20-ish seat cabins being installed in the rest of the fleet is more in line with most carriers (and I assume demand on most routes).
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by tanglin
These are really sad changes for me. I have been DM for about 7-8 years now, based mainly on spend (on Amex prior to the $250k limit, on DL tickets after that).

My main benefits I used are SC membership, and GUCs. I have a bunch of GUCs and RUCs in my wallet I guess have been significantly devalued now (OK, they are valid until 1/23,but that doesn't help if they are not really usable).

I'll be DM next year thanks to the rollover, but won't get SC because there's no CB unless you qualify for DM on spend.

I will look at moving my Delta Amex back down to Gold next year, and might convert my unused certs to miles next December but that's not a great deal.

Likely I will be Plat from 2023 on, and a little less loyal. I still like Delta but I can use VS and VA a lot for places I go to.
THIS+a few comments

I dropped from 10 years of DM to now PM

I no longer do International (that's why I lost DM), but when I did it was paid J

Certs have always been a PITA to use

I got rid of DL AX and have regular AX plat

AX plat gets more miles for DL tickets, SkyClub, Priority Pass, a pizza per month from Uber, Hilton Gold, Clear refund, and $200 of refunds for SM ticket fees. All for $550

I am completely fine with PM and regular AX. All I have to do is fly $9K on DL and I'm good. I can free agent from there.

Last week I flew nonstop on UA instead of connection on DL, getting home 3 hours earlier, and hung out in the LH Lounge in IAD, which is way nicer than any SC.

No more treadmill!
DrMilano and DCAhome like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The PS news about PS continuing to expand to more flights is good for those of us who won't be getting GUCs but may look to PS as an option when D1 isn't, but definitely a major devaluation for the GUCs.
Looking at a JFK to ZHR itinerary for March now - thinking about a D1 outbound, PS inbound. 150,000 miles roundtrip, $1,879 in cash... 1.25 cents per mile, Decent redemption for Delta. D1 both was is 210,000 miles or $2,500 in cash via the Amex IAP program...
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
THIS+a few comments

I dropped from 10 years of DM to now PM

I no longer do International (that's why I lost DM), but when I did it was paid J

Certs have always been a PITA to use

I got rid of DL AX and have regular AX plat

AX plat gets more miles for DL tickets, SkyClub, Priority Pass, a pizza per month from Uber, Hilton Gold, Clear refund, and $200 of refunds for SM ticket fees. All for $550

I am completely fine with PM and regular AX. All I have to do is fly $9K on DL and I'm good. I can free agent from there.

Last week I flew nonstop on UA instead of connection on DL, getting home 3 hours earlier, and hung out in the LH Lounge in IAD, which is way nicer than any SC.

No more treadmill!
I'd been fretting a bit about losing SkyClub... but your solution works.
I didn't realize the regular AX gave free CLEAR - will be doing likewise, thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I'd been fretting a bit about losing SkyClub... but your solution works.
I didn't realize the regular AX gave free CLEAR - will be doing likewise, thanks!
The Amex Platinum fee is $695 now, not $550. In any event it is a worthwhile option for any Delta flier. I have both Amex Platinum and DL Reserve and find the combo works for me in terms of getting MQM boosts (I do agree with criticism regarding the certificates).
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

Deleted

Last edited by SuperG1955; Nov 8, 2021 at 9:21 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite

I don't doubt the article at all...DL is flat out installing the PS cabin to most, if not all, of the B763ERs (at CAN), and all the A332/A333s (at SAL), this fall/winter/spring! Thus by late sring/early summer every TATL flight will have a PS cabin.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
I don't doubt the article at all...DL is flat out installing the PS cabin to most, if not all, of the B763ERs (at CAN), and all the A332/A333s (at SAL), this fall/winter/spring! Thus by late sring/early summer every TATL flight will have a PS cabin.

Oh yeah im not doubting the validity of the article and I knew we were heading this way when they announced the changes last week I was just shocked to see it will be by next summer and it makes using the GUCs to D1 on the 3 cabin config aircraft just as hard as the 4 cabin configuration
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by dw
The 40+ seat PS cabins installed pre-pandemic on the A350s and 777s were definitely an outlier compared to most airlines (with the exception of a few like the Taiwanese carriers, and BA’s pre-pandemic LGW retrofit), whereas the 20-ish seat cabins being installed in the rest of the fleet is more in line with most carriers (and I assume demand on most routes).
Here are the D1 vs PS seat counts for all the aircraft which can/will be used for TATL next summer:

A332/A333 D1 34...PS 21
A339 D1 29...PS 28
A359 D1 32...PS 48
B763ER D1 26...PS 18
B764ER D1 34...PS 20
dw likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
There's been a lot of comments from longtime DM's in this thread along the lines of "I'm just one small drop of water in the big bucket of DMs"syaing that Delta won't miss their spend but I think this has the potential to change the spending habits of a significant portion of DL's top tier elites. Many, if not most DMs, reach that level by flying at least 1-2 roundtrip international D1/J trips a year, often times paid for by their employer. They then collect their GUCs and use them for their personal travel with their family and friends. GUCs were a big motivator for a lot of people to earn DM. Even those who don't spend hours reading FT and travel blogs will quickly realize how huge this devaluation is. GUCs have already been notoriously hard to use and now they are worth significantly less. Add in the devaluation Skymiles and how much D1 awards are now, long waits and poor service on the phone lines, the slow return of pre-covid service levels, plus any number of other valid complaints and there will be a lot of fed-up elites who are happy to become free agents for their paid J trips.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
They never liked the fact that a DM could drop to FO or no status the following year yet still travel on GUCs if the flights were booked before 1/31 when their DM status ended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.