Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Delta App is not working:

I cannot get the "my trips" section of the Delta App to populate with my flight information.

I have updated my iPhone and iPad operating systems; I have deleted the Delta Apps and reinstalled; I have had this issue since the end of May 2022. My Trips is totally blank but it should have 10+ trips. The "activity" section of the Delta App seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Pocatello
Delta App is not working:

I cannot get the "my trips" section of the Delta App to populate with my flight information.

I have updated my iPhone and iPad operating systems; I have deleted the Delta Apps and reinstalled; I have had this issue since the end of May 2022. My Trips is totally blank but it should have 10+ trips. The "activity" section of the Delta App seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions?
Recent thread: App keeps "losing" pending trips?

several people in that thread had luck logging out and back in again (though that won't work well if you're also afflicted with the other recent bug where logins don't work :-/) and/or force-stop the app in Android (or its IOS equivalent)
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
Recent thread: App keeps "losing" pending trips?

several people in that thread had luck logging out and back in again (though that won't work well if you're also afflicted with the other recent bug where logins don't work :-/) and/or force-stop the app in Android (or its IOS equivalent)
I took the most extreme step and deleted the app; I nuked it from orbit. After downloading and installing the app ... it still does not work.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:52 am

I'm about to reach Platinum status and would like to learn opinions from Skymiles veterans on the choice benefit. I believe I'm going to pick the four regional upgrade certs but I don't have travel plans in the immediate future. Should I wait before selecting this choice? How long do I have? Other thoughts?

Please and thanks for any suggestions! Much appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
It used to be that you would wait until you were going to use the first of them because they expired a year after you selected them.

Now, they expire at the end of the Medallion year so if you're set on choosing them and feel confident that you'll be able to use them, there's no reason to wait to select them.

I recommend that you go through the thread Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022 if you haven't already done so before selecting them.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Aug 4, 2022 at 6:17 am
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:36 pm

Just booked multi-city trip - first leg departing this Thursday, 8/11. I am newly GM, so hoping to get cleared for upgrades T72. However.....

I think I messed up the first leg of my trip for upgrades.

When booking, I was able to get preferred exit aisle for three legs, but not the first one - and the only aisle available was back of the plane. So be it. Seat map still shows quite a few C+ and FC.

Went to my trips to ensure my upgrade requests were selected. Noticed that only FC was selected, so I added C+ (Aisle/Window preference only) and applied to all legs of trip.

Then noticed Delta offering me paid upgrade to C+ aisle, $60 for that ONE leg that I was stuck in far back of plane (non-exit). Much cheaper than paying for C+ for entire trip, and I think I have good chance to clear on other legs anyway, but also not that concerned because I already have the exit seats I wanted for the remaining 3 legs, so...Ok, I clicked purchase for C+ aisle, ONLY for that 1 leg.

But now? My upgrade request page? Doesn't show ANY upgrade request available for that leg. Previously it was defaulted to FC selected request. Now it's completely blank for that leg.

Why did it show an FC request previously, but now that I purchased C+ just for that leg, FC upgrade request is no longer available?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by arroway
Just booked multi-city trip - first leg departing this Thursday, 8/11. I am newly GM, so hoping to get cleared for upgrades T72. However.....

I think I messed up the first leg of my trip for upgrades.

When booking, I was able to get preferred exit aisle for three legs, but not the first one - and the only aisle available was back of the plane. So be it. Seat map still shows quite a few C+ and FC.

Went to my trips to ensure my upgrade requests were selected. Noticed that only FC was selected, so I added C+ (Aisle/Window preference only) and applied to all legs of trip.

Then noticed Delta offering me paid upgrade to C+ aisle, $60 for that ONE leg that I was stuck in far back of plane (non-exit). Much cheaper than paying for C+ for entire trip, and I think I have good chance to clear on other legs anyway, but also not that concerned because I already have the exit seats I wanted for the remaining 3 legs, so...Ok, I clicked purchase for C+ aisle, ONLY for that 1 leg.

But now? My upgrade request page? Doesn't show ANY upgrade request available for that leg. Previously it was defaulted to FC selected request. Now it's completely blank for that leg.

Why did it show an FC request previously, but now that I purchased C+ just for that leg, FC upgrade request is no longer available?

I've had this happen, too.

I bought an upgrade, but then it "froze" that leg of the trip so I couldn't request upgrades on it.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:08 pm

Newbie here, trying to make sure I spend Skymiles wisely. (Never redeemed before.) Need a first-class roundtrip from TPA to PSP.

The cost looks like at least 200,000 miles, which sounds like a lot. Is there some 'smarter' way to do things, like buy an economy ticket and then use miles to upgrade it? For a 'less common' route like this, I'm guessing the chance of a flash sale is slim.

I have a small eCredit but it seems that can't be combined with Skymiles. Also have some Amex Membership Rewards points that I'd only want to touch if it yielded a better redemption value. So far I only earn these points, I haven't redeemed them! 😅

Do I need to bite the 200,000-Skymile bullet, or is there some insider trick?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by prefers road trips
Newbie here, trying to make sure I spend Skymiles wisely. (Never redeemed before.) Need a first-class roundtrip from TPA to PSP.

The cost looks like at least 200,000 miles, which sounds like a lot. Is there some 'smarter' way to do things, like buy an economy ticket and then use miles to upgrade it? For a 'less common' route like this, I'm guessing the chance of a flash sale is slim.

I have a small eCredit but it seems that can't be combined with Skymiles. Also have some Amex Membership Rewards points that I'd only want to touch if it yielded a better redemption value. So far I only earn these points, I haven't redeemed them! 😅

200,000 RDMs are worth at least $2000 (you can get approximately one cent per mile on any DL ticket by using pay with miles if you have a DL AmEx credit card), so what would it cost to simply buy the FC ticket you want with money.

Don't assume that you'll get an upgrade offer or that it would be reasonable value.
prefers road trips likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prefers road trips

DL award pricing is variable and has multiple levels per route. This route looks to have FC awards starting at 44K miles each-way (shown below), but you will likely need to fly on less popular days and less than ideal routings to find these levels. If FC revenue fares are pricing in the $2K or less range roundtrip, 200,000 is a poor redemption as you can get that much value from 200,000 miles by just using Amex Pay with Miles (as noted above) and you should probably save your miles for some other trip.

Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
This route looks to have FC awards starting at 44K miles each-way (shown below), but you will likely need to fly on less popular days and less than ideal routings to find these levels.
Thank you xliioper and MSPeconomist both for your replies. I suppose this is just an expensive flight and I had sticker shock . With 44K Skymiles × 2 passengers × 2 ways for a 'cheap' FC route, I have no trouble spending a little bit more to make it one layover rather than two. I'll make sure I redeem with Amex Pay with Miles if Delta offers less than 1.00˘ per Skymile.

Capital One's price predictor tool suggested that the price may vary up or down by a few hundred dollars until late October, at which point they'd expect prices to increase substantially. I also understand these predictors might be particularly bad in the current market [wired.com/story/airfare-prediction-tools]. As an over-thinker, I was thinking of waiting a little bit longer, seeing if I get any price alerts on the flight, and finally booking tickets no later than mid-October. If you would act differently, please say so — I should probably listen

I think I'll pay the taxes with Chase Sapphire Preferred because of travel insurance benefits that seem to slightly edge out Amex.

Thank you both again for your kindness and useful info!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta
I'm starting to travel a lot more for work and have a big trip coming up. I have never been in a medallion status before and only need 8K MQMs to hit silver. My upcoming work trips will put me well past the 8k MQM. My questions is will the MQMs that are past the 8k threshold for silver roll into the MQM requirements for Gold?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by initial e
I'm starting to travel a lot more for work and have a big trip coming up. I have never been in a medallion status before and only need 8K MQMs to hit silver. My upcoming work trips will put me well past the 8k MQM. My questions is will the MQMs that are past the 8k threshold for silver roll into the MQM requirements for Gold?
Yes -- MQMs are a running counter for the year. If you go on to satisfy the requirements for Gold then you'll get Gold status. Note there is also an MQD requirement (unless you have it waived via AMEX or foreign residency)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
May I cancel an award booking made with DL within t-24 before departure?
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
May I cancel an award booking made with DL within t-24 before departure?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.