Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A gate agent might be willing to do it, but it is technically only a benefit for Diamonds (albeit not formally listed under DM benefits). I'm assuming you are looking at DL Connection carrier flights as PIT-LGA is 100% Endeavor flights. Most of the recent issues with them look to have been weather related as they are the first to be impacted and have flights delayed or cancelled (rather than mainline). You can generally get a good idea if there will be delays by looking at weather forecast for NYC area ahead of time.
emag_eh7 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 30, 2022 at 9:56 am
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
Flyer with no status here, am booked to fly BKK-ICH-ATL-RDU in November after disembarking a cruise. The first segment is on Korean the remainder on DL. The cruiseline included an economy ticket in the promo we used to book the cruise. Based on what I can see, I have a “U” fare. I am able to purchase preferred seats on the DL segments but cannot access exit rows or Premium Select seats.

I texted with a Delta representative who said that she was unable to upgrade our tickets but that the travel agency (in this case the cruiseline) could. Before I contact them, I would like to see if anyone knows or can estimate how much an upgrade to PS should cost in points? In dollars?

Also, if it is indeed possible to upgrade can it be done on Korean Air also?

TIA!
Are the "premium" seats you bought on DL ComfortPlus (at the front of coach with a little bit more legroom)? If so, you might have already upfared your ticket to C+. How much did you pay? Did you do this through the cruise line or through DL (phone call, website, app)?

My *guess* is that your cruise line offered you a bulk fare. Assuming that they don't have a bulk fare to offer (was this an option they offered to you earlier?) for PS, you would need to pay the difference between your special unpublished deeply discounted coach fare and the current published fare that DL is selling for PS, which is likely to be a lot of money and IMO more than the PS seat is worth. You'll still be in coach for the narrow body domestic connecting segments.

AFAIK to upgrade with miles, you would need to upfare to a published fare in a higher fare class (IIRC K or higher) and upgrade inventory would be required to use a mileage upgrade award. Again, you would only be upgraded for the DL wide body segment(s).

Note also that international published fares for one way tickets are very expensive. I'm assuming that your cruise booked you on another bulk one way ticket for the other end of the cruise. If this is DL, once you start paying to upfare, it could make more sense to upfare both directions of your open jaw ticket. (Do you have a single ticket?) If you're on some other carrier, there might not be an option other than to upfare on a one way basis.
Clay Clayton likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:50 pm

Last edited by WillBarrett_68; Jul 30, 2022 at 2:51 pm Reason: delete
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Rollover Question. Do we get rollover for both MQM and MQD to the next year ? And is it only after Diamond status extra miles will be rollover or any status like Platinum and you are still short of Diamond and after the platinum status remaining MQM/MQD will be rolled to Next year ?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Rollover Question. Do we get rollover for both MQM and MQD to the next year ? And is it only after Diamond status extra miles will be rollover or any status like Platinum and you are still short of Diamond and after the platinum status remaining MQM/MQD will be rolled to Next year ?
MQDs do not rollover. Rollover MQMs are available to anyone who qualifies for Medallion status -- you rollover any excess above the amount needed for whatever level you qualify for. If you have 130,000 MQMs but only hit the MQD waiver/spend for Plat then you will rollover 55k. If you have the same 130,000 MQMs but only spend $3000 in MQDs and no AMEX waiver then next year you'll be silver with 105k of rollover.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Does anybody know if Delta also have double dip (mileage earned in Jan and Feb count towards for both 2023 and 2024 status) for Jan and Feb months for 2023 ? I remember American had last year not sure if American has this year though ?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Does anybody know if Delta also have double dip (mileage earned in Jan and Feb count towards for both 2023 and 2024 status) for Jan and Feb months for 2023 ? I remember American had last year not sure if American has this year though ?
Yes, and Delta calls it "rollover".
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnbp
Yes, and Delta calls it "rollover".
Not really the same thing. Rollover of excess MQMs from 2022 into 2023 will help one earn 2024 status (and is a form of double-dipping), but they won't back count MQM/MQD earned in Jan/Feb 2023 towards 2022 totals and thus 2023 status.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 31, 2022 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
MQDs do not rollover. Rollover MQMs are available to anyone who qualifies for Medallion status -- you rollover any excess above the amount needed for whatever level you qualify for. If you have 130,000 MQMs but only hit the MQD waiver/spend for Plat then you will rollover 55k. If you have the same 130,000 MQMs but only spend $3000 in MQDs and no AMEX waiver then next year you'll be silver with 105k of rollover.
Note that the word "qualify" here specifically means EARNED. If your status is comped or gifted, including from MM, this doesn't count and you will lose all of your MQMs if you fail to at least EARN FO status.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:49 am

Platinum medallion benefits

I just became platinum for the first time at the end of July. My question is do I choose my 1 benefit (probably regional upgrades) now for the rest of 2022 and then do I select again at the beginning of 2023?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Faulhorn
I just became platinum for the first time at the end of July. My question is do I choose my 1 benefit (probably regional upgrades) now for the rest of 2022 and then do I select again at the beginning of 2023?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, and congrats on hitting PM for the first time!

You only get one Choice Benefit each time that you qualify (or subsequently re-qualify) for Platinum Medallion. When you qualified in July, you were qualifying for Platinum status in 2023, but it is also granted to you immediately for the rest of 2022. So you can choose the CB now, but you are selecting your 2023 CB and will not receive another one unless you re-qualify (during 2023) for 2024 PM status.
MSPeconomist and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Skymiles redemption routings error

Hi,
This is my first time redeeming miles. Is there a guide / primer on how it works? Because i got difficulty booking open jaw and the availibity fluctuates from day to day. Also can i know why "price calendar" and "flexible dates" options is missing when booking open jaw trip?

My routing is

SIN - YYZ on October 25 or 26th
YUL - SIN on November 6th

Regards,
Hashim

Last edited by hashim17; Aug 1, 2022 at 12:05 am Reason: additional questions
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by hashim17
Hi,

This is my first time redeeming miles. Is there a guide / primer on how it works? Because i got difficulty booking open jaw and the availibity fluctuates from day to day

My routing is

Regards,
Hashim
Of course availability fluctuates. If all flights were DL operated, this would mean that the price in miles fluctuates, sometimes dramatically, but partner-operated award flights require that the partner make award space available to DL.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Regarding baggage allowance, does the baggage allowance follow delta's or partner's allowance?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hashim17
Hi,
This is my first time redeeming miles. Is there a guide / primer on how it works? Because i got difficulty booking open jaw and the availibity fluctuates from day to day. Also can i know why "price calendar" and "flexible dates" options is missing when booking open jaw trip?

My routing is

Regards,
Hashim
Flexible dates is not available when you are doing multi-city searches. It is only available for roundtrip and one-way searches. FYI, there are carrier surcharges for starting award trips in Asia (which don't apply to ex-US/Canada awards). Not clear if you are looking for coach or business class flights. As already noted, DL has multiple award levels and getting cheapest levels will require considerable date flexibility (which it sounds like you don't have) and routes which do not have DL metal on them (DL no longer flies to SIN) may not have availability on all flights as DL is dependent on partners releasing seats for DL awards in these cases. Cheapest coach awards are available from 35K each way on DL metal over Pacific if booked as roundtrip or open-jaw (partner awards involve flying partner metal over Pacific). Delta has different award levels for one-way bookings vs. roundtrip/open-jaw. There's no availability at 35K level for SIN-YYZ flights on Oct 25th or 26th (but there's some on nearby dates). If you are looking for business class awards, it is unlikely you will find anything decent.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 1, 2022 at 8:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.