Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by satellite779
First time flying internationally as Gold, which gives me SkyTeam Elite Plus, which in turn gives me access to SkyTeam lounges. I'm flying over CDG/AMS in Main cabin. Do I need to do anything to be able to access AirFrance/KLM lounges in respective airports? Will they automatically recognize my SkyTeam status based on my boarding pass?
I only have experience with CDG… only thing is to make sure the ticket is properly crediting SkyMiles as the FF program. One time the scanner at CDG didn’t recognize me but the ticket showed my status and the AF reps quickly updated something in the system and got me in. Other times I just scan and enter.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by satellite779
First time flying internationally as Gold, which gives me SkyTeam Elite Plus, which in turn gives me access to SkyTeam lounges. I'm flying over CDG/AMS in Main cabin. Do I need to do anything to be able to access AirFrance/KLM lounges in respective airports? Will they automatically recognize my SkyTeam status based on my boarding pass?
STE+ will typically be noted on your boarding pass, yes. If you don't see it, it may indicate a problem with your frequent flyer number as entered (or not) in the ticket.
MSPeconomist and mnbp like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
How do I file an EU 261 claim with Delta? I awoke in Munich to a cancelled flight back home and hey, leisure flyer who works all options available to me.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: AY+ (Emerald), OZ (*G), IHG (Diamond)
DL Status Challenge

Hi All,

Would like to tap the forum for some advice / ideas regarding DL’s Status Challenge. I know that there is a separate status challenge thread but most posters there seem quite specific in their questions while I am still quiet blur. my apologies in advance if I should not be posting here

1) Firstly, based on what I could find on the website, ST partner flights also seem to count for the Status Challenge, have attached the link and extract below (with my own bolded and underlined sections).

So, would this mean a person NOT US BASED, could do mileage runs on say just AF / KL / KE to hit the challenge requirements, i.e. without ever flying DL metal?

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge

MQMs, MQSs and MQDs earned on Delta- and Delta Connection-operated flights in Main Cabin or above will count towards this challenge. MQMs, MQSs and MQDs may also be earned on partner airline flights that are eligible to earn MQMs, MQSs and MQDs. Visit Airline Partners to learn more about what flights qualify.

Offer valid for travel completed within 3 months from time of account upgrade and will not include flights taken prior to enrollment. Participation does not guarantee Medallion Status. Promotional or temporary elite status on other airlines will not be eligible for this promotion. Matched Status will expire after 3 months unless that level or a higher level of Medallion Status is awarded prior to that date. Medallion Status must be earned in subsequent years by traveling the required amount of MQMs or MQSs and spending the required MQDs (U.S.-based members only) or earning the MQD Waiver. *Only MQMs, MQSs and MQDs earned through travel on Delta, Delta Connection, and SkyMiles Partner Airlines on qualifying flights in Main Cabin or above will count towards the challenge*. MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge. Visit Airline Partners to learn more about what flights qualify.

2) Would a member during the 3 months challenge “stage” have STE+ benefits (lounge access etc) when flying on say AF, KL, KE? I noticed the following wording in DL’s website, “Promotional or temporary elite status on other airlines will not be eligible for this promotion”

I am not sure if it refers to eligible status for matching or if means that during the 3 months challenge “stage”, member will not have STE+ benefits?
Thank you in advance and sorry again if I made a mistake
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
2) The way these status challenges work is that DL gives you its own elite benefits during the challenge period but you do not get SkyTeam ElitePlus benefits on partner airlines.

The "Promotional..." sentence you quote means that the status on another airline that you use to request the challenge from DL must be status that you have earned according to that program's regular rules: no matches, challenges, special offers, etc.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
2) The way these status challenges work is that DL gives you its own elite benefits during the challenge period but you do not get SkyTeam ElitePlus benefits on partner airlines.

The "Promotional..." sentence you quote means that the status on another airline that you use to request the challenge from DL must be status that you have earned according to that program's regular rules: no matches, challenges, special offers, etc.

thank you so much. Might we get DL elite benefits during the status challenge period on DL code shares ? say DL coded, KE operated flights? I'm based in S.E. Asia so while I can book flights to say ATL on the DL website, at least part if not all the segments will be on KE.

Also any idea on the first question?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelExperience
thank you so much. Might we get DL elite benefits during the status challenge period on DL code shares ? say DL coded, KE operated flights? I'm based in S.E. Asia so while I can book flights to say ATL on the DL website, at least part if not all the segments will be on KE.

Also any idea on the first question?
Unfortunately, I don't think so. The elite benefits I can recall, such as preferred seats in coach or whatever KE calls them (I seem to strike out with KE on getting their better seats in business class as a real DL DM) or KE lounge access would all be offered by the operating carrier (KE).

The exception would be USA TPAC departures on KE where you might be able to use DL lounges if applicable (ATL but not JFK as KE departs from T1 while DL uses T2 and T4; at LAX you could check in with KE in TBIT, walk landside to T2/T3 and use the DL lounge, then take the airside shuttle bus back to TBIT for the KE departure, but this would require a lot of time). I saw *might* because your boarding pass wouldn't say SkyTeam ElitePlus, but you should be able to show DL your GM+ electronic FF card on your phone (you won't get a physical card during the challenge).

BTW, check earnings for DL coded vs KE coded KE flights. It makes a difference, especially for MQDs (if they matter for you). Make sure you understand the rules before deciding whether or not to purchase a codeshare ticket.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:19 am

MQM's buying upgrade, earning more?

Husband is GM. He is currently 6471 MQM's away from PL. We have a trip in August. GYE-UIO-ATL-CHA, which looks like it earns about 3300 MQM's.

We have a trip we need to take from CHA to Chicago. I went on Matrix and pieced together CHA-ATL-DTW-MDW then MDW-DTW-DCA-ATL-CHA which looks like 3500 MQM's. for $541.00

We can upgrade on the UIO-ATL ( 2364 miles) leg on DL from Econ to First. Does flying in 1st get you more MQM's? or is it just MDD's?

Is the long trip to Chicago the better way to get there (to PL)?

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:51 am

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The elite benefits I can recall, such as preferred seats in coach or whatever KE calls them (I seem to strike out with KE on getting their better seats in business class as a real DL DM) or KE lounge access would all be offered by the operating carrier (KE).

The exception would be USA TPAC departures on KE where you might be able to use DL lounges if applicable (ATL but not JFK as KE departs from T1 while DL uses T2 and T4; at LAX you could check in with KE in TBIT, walk landside to T2/T3 and use the DL lounge, then take the airside shuttle bus back to TBIT for the KE departure, but this would require a lot of time). I saw *might* because your boarding pass wouldn't say SkyTeam ElitePlus, but you should be able to show DL your GM+ electronic FF card on your phone (you won't get a physical card during the challenge).

BTW, check earnings for DL coded vs KE coded KE flights. It makes a difference, especially for MQDs (if they matter for you). Make sure you understand the rules before deciding whether or not to purchase a codeshare ticket.

On well, not the best news but still thanks, at least I can be prepared. and sorry to hear about you not getting to choose J seats.

I'm likely to do a TPAC run via ICN to ATL, for the reason that ATL is further than LAX (have honestly not been to either city before) and also that I could find some DL operated flights on the ICN-ATL segment.

Thank you too for the reminder on code share earnings. I probably will do the ICN-ATL segment on DL metal and it is the flight into ICN that I will be on code share, probably KE on account of their better MQM earnings. I normally am cautious of code shares but wanted to book it off the DL website to have a firm idea of how many MQMs I would get.

Regarding MQDs, I am neither a US citizen nor US based so I do believe MQMs are going to be my main worry?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:15 am

What flights and fare classes are you considering that would earn more MQMs when booked under a KE flight number?

For DL flight numbers, coach earns 100% except for (FULL) Y and B, premium economy (PS) earns 150% and business class (D1) or FC earns 150% except that FULL J and F fares earn 200%. Basic economy earns nothing, but I wouldn't risk assuming that an equivalent fare on KE earns anything toward the challenge.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:08 pm

How far in advance do you have to cancel a miles booking in order to get a refund of the miles? Let's say I don't check in and it's 3hr before departure, can I cancel and get my miles back for a Main Cabin fare?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:00 pm

What flights and fare classes are you considering that would earn more MQMs when booked under a KE flight number?

For DL flight numbers, coach earns 100% except for (FULL) Y and B, premium economy (PS) earns 150% and business class (D1) or FC earns 150% except that FULL J and F fares earn 200%. Basic economy earns nothing, but I wouldn't risk assuming that an equivalent fare on KE earns anything toward the challenge.

Hi. Sorry I think I caused some confusion.

What I meant to say is that I do target to fly a DL operated flight on the ICN-ATL route and to get to ICN, I am likely to fly KE from either CGK or KUL. I was further saying that I plan to use KE instead of, say GA, as I do believe KE earns 100% MQMs on most fare classes; attaching screen shot from DL skymiles page. However I acknowledge that this will be my first experience with DL and I stand to be corrected on my interpretation

This was the reason for my other question, whether I could qualify and later requalify for DL status doing AF / KE / KL runs

Last edited by TravelExperience; Jul 21, 2022 at 3:05 am Reason: typos and punctuations
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:27 pm
RDP

Programs: MPC Silver, and other baseline accounts.
I'm flying soon, and had the "my middle name!" panic attack.

Skymiles profile: John Doe
Skymiles redemption ticket: John Doe
Secure Flight info: None
Passport info loaded into Skymiles: No
Delta FlyReady Passport info: John Francis Doe

Do I have to update anything before my flight to register my middle name?

Going forward (but after upcoming trip) should I try to change my Skymiles profile name? This is only coming up now as I have not flown on Delta in almost a decade.

thanks,
RDP
GoBob likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL SM.UA,HA
We are flying PHX-ATL in first and ATL-VCE in D1. Do we get Sky Club access in PHX?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by JFKATC
We are flying PHX-ATL in first and ATL-VCE in D1. Do we get Sky Club access in PHX?
Yes assuming it's same day (no stopover in ATL).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.