Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Seat upgrade fees are nonrefundable unless there's an involuntary change (flight cancellation, schedule change, IROPs).
GoBob likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: DL, B6
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Seat upgrade fees are nonrefundable unless there's an involuntary change (flight cancellation, schedule change, IROPs).
Thanks. I need to follow the Carpenter's creed here (subject to adaptation): measure twice, cut once.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Quick question regarding booking a 2-person itinerary with Skymiles. If I call into the PM line, can I book this ticket using the miles from each individual account? Or can you only purchase using the booking passenger's miles? I ask because sending/receiving Skymiles seems prohibitively expensive and I'd rather not use my own miles for this flight if I don't have to. Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
You can book tickets for another person from someone else's Skymiles account. If you're trying to book each ticket from a different SM account, you have to book them individually. You obviously won't be on the same PNR and if one person has lower or no status they won't get the benefits of the higher status person.

As an example, if you're a PM and the other person has no status they won't get a complimentary C+ upgrade.

You can book both tickets from one persons SM account and then you'd be on the same PNR and get your PM benefits.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
You can book tickets for another person from someone else's Skymiles account. If you're trying to book each ticket from a different SM account, you have to book them individually. You obviously won't be on the same PNR and if one person has lower or no status they won't get the benefits of the higher status person.

As an example, if you're a PM and the other person has no status they won't get a complimentary C+ upgrade.

You can book both tickets from one persons SM account and then you'd be on the same PNR and get your PM benefits.
This is what I expected, thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
This is what I expected, thanks!
If you're booking RTs and the cost is equal to or not much more than the cost of two OW tickets, you could book outbound from one account and inbound (return portion) from the other account to keep both people on the same PNR. RT vs OW tickets have advantages and disadvantages.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:57 pm

If you're booking RTs and the cost is equal to or not much more than the cost of two OW tickets, you could book outbound from one account and inbound (return portion) from the other account to keep both people on the same PNR. RT vs OW tickets have advantages and disadvantages.
This is a good idea and one that I have considered. However, if the other person is an FO and I'm a PM, am I correct in assuming that we would only be eligible for the FO benefits on the segment booked under their Skymiles account?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
This is a good idea and one that I have considered. However, if the other person is an FO and I'm a PM, am I correct in assuming that we would only be eligible for the FO benefits on the segment booked under their Skymiles account?
Upgrade priority is based on the highest level person in the reservation. It doesn't matter whose account the miles came from.

Note that while most international awards from US require a roundtrip booking for lowest award levels. Domestically, it varies depending on how competitive the route is and if there are roundtrip revenue fares on route. If you are flying out of SEA domestically, DL competes with AS (who only has one way fares) and most DL revenue fares (and also awards) are only one ways to match AS. Out of captive hubs like DTW and MSP, there tend to be more domestic routes that require roundtrip bookings of revenue/awards to get the cheapest fare/award levels.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 6, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Upgrade priority is based on the highest level person in the reservation. It doesn't matter whose account the miles came from.

Note that while most international awards from US require a roundtrip booking for lowest award levels. Domestically, it varies depending on how competitive the route is and if there are roundtrip revenue fares on route. If you are flying out of SEA domestically, DL competes with AS (who only has one way fares) and most DL revenue fares (and also awards) are only one ways to match AS. Out of captive hubs like DTW and MSP, there tend to be more domestic routes that require roundtrip bookings of revenue/awards to get the cheapest fare/award levels.
Much appreciated, thank you! I wasn't aware of this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Anyone know if you can check a golf bag as your checked bag on a TATL award ticket?

I know I can do it with AA, but not as clear with DL what the rules are at first glance.

Edit: It would appear you can! https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...ting-equipment

Last edited by ChurnieEls; Jul 7, 2022 at 7:12 pm Reason: Answered
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Anyone know if you can check a golf bag as your checked bag on a TATL award ticket?

I know I can do it with AA, but not as clear with DL what the rules are at first glance.
The sporting equipment page says, under golf equipment:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...ting-equipment
"You may check one golf bag (per passenger) as a standard item of checked baggage, as long as equipment is contained safely and meets the size requirement. Standard baggage charges apply. Golf Checked Bag RequirementsStandard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply"

So I would think yes, but no personal experience... someone on FT surely has a DP though.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:35 am

Maybe some of our forum participants who play golf for military fitness know the answer from personal experience.

Do golf clubs fall within the size and weight requirements for a normal checked bag? Are they handled as oversized bags, so that they wouldn't be delivered on the regular belt? If so, would the 2,500 RDMs for a late bag apply?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Zorak
The sporting equipment page says, under golf equipment:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...ting-equipment
"You may check one golf bag (per passenger) as a standard item of checked baggage, as long as equipment is contained safely and meets the size requirement. Standard baggage charges apply. Golf Checked Bag RequirementsStandard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply"

So I would think yes, but no personal experience... someone on FT surely has a DP though.
As long as it meets the size requirement.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Maybe some of our forum participants who play golf for military fitness know the answer from personal experience.

Do golf clubs fall within the size and weight requirements for a normal checked bag? Are they handled as oversized bags, so that they wouldn't be delivered on the regular belt? If so, would the 2,500 RDMs for a late bag apply?
  • Golf bags weighing over 50 lbs. will be charged the applicable excess weight fee
  • If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), the item will not be accepted
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:19 am

Wouldn't that be 70 pounds for a FC or D1 passenger? I'm not sure about PS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.