Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Or, IIRC if you flight comes into an E gate at ATL where you then have to take the airside plane train to F or T to exit the airport.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by HisGirlFriday
Good afternoon,

If I have an AMEX Platinum card can I access Delta Sky Club upon arrival? I know that Delta initially announced disallowing lounge access upon arrival, but then they rolled that back. I am arriving to LAX on an economy DL flight, departing on a non-DL carrier (Qatar Airways, J ticket).

The lingo in the AMEX conditions says a same day Delta flight boarding pass (and AMEX platinum) is needed, but it does not specify that the boarding pass must be for departure (from LAX in my case).

I know I can access the Centurion Lounge, and the OneWorld Lounge, but I thought the Sky Club looks pretty swanky and I have a LONG layover so I can't access Centurion for the first few hours.

Thanks,
HisGirlFriday
Recently flew First class RDU-JFK. Have a Delta branded Plat Amex. We were told we must pay $39 each to enter the RDU Sky Club prior to the flight. I really don’t know what it takes these days to freely access Sky Club if not these two things and don’t fly often enough to keep up with it.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishingcarlos
Recently flew First class RDU-JFK. Have a Delta branded Plat Amex. We were told we must pay $39 each to enter the RDU Sky Club prior to the flight. I really don’t know what it takes these days to freely access Sky Club if not these two things and don’t fly often enough to keep up with it.
Only the Delta Reserve Amex and the unbranded Plat/Centurion Amex cards provides complimentary access for primary cardholder (companions are $39 unless they have the for-fee secondary cards). The cheaper Delta branded Plat Amex card does not. Delta domestic First Class flights have never provided for lounge access. The only domestic flights which provide for Sky Club access are those when you are flying in Delta One class on the Delta One marketed transcon and Hawaii flights. (While there are times DL will use Delta One equipment on domestic routes that are not marketed as Delta One, simply flying in Delta One cabin on routes that aren't Delta One marketed won't get you access).

Access policies are documented here -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 23, 2022 at 12:27 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2M
Luggage Transfer Help DL (LAX) to FIN (LAX)

We are ticketed on DL RNO-LAX and then onward FIN LAX-ARN. We have the two trips ticketed separately and must recover our bags in LAX and transfer them to FIN in the Bradley terminal. We will need some baggage assistance. Can someone provide ideas on getting this kind of help?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Plat
Last week my flight from FSD-MSP was delayed 7 hours over a mechanical issue. I was re-booked on the later flight from MSP-LAX. I had paid with points for first class on both legs but was downgraded on the MSP to LAX leg when they re-booked.

Do I just suck it up or could I expect some kind of reimbursement if I complained? It sucks to pay 50,000 miles each way for first and not get it on one of the longest legs.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CycloneSteve
Last week my flight from FSD-MSP was delayed 7 hours over a mechanical issue. I was re-booked on the later flight from MSP-LAX. I had paid with points for first class on both legs but was downgraded on the MSP to LAX leg when they re-booked.

Do I just suck it up or could I expect some kind of reimbursement if I complained? It sucks to pay 50,000 miles each way for first and not get it on one of the longest legs.
Traditionally DL paid a $200 voucher plus the fare difference when customers were involuntarily downgraded.

Was this a (DL) award ticket or did you pay (DL redeemable) miles to confirm FC upgrades? If it's the latter, your fare difference would be the points you paid, attributed to the two segments proportional to mileage. For a FC award ticket, DL should be able to check what the same flights in coach would have cost in miles at the time you obtained your award ticket.
CycloneSteve likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:26 pm

See reply below
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Traditionally DL paid a $200 voucher plus the fare difference when customers were involuntarily downgraded.

Was this a (DL) award ticket or did you pay (DL redeemable) miles to confirm FC upgrades? If it's the latter, your fare difference would be the points you paid, attributed to the two segments proportional to mileage. For a FC award ticket, DL should be able to check what the same flights in coach would have cost in miles at the time you obtained your award ticket.
This was not an upgrade. I just used points to purchase a FC 4-leg RT ticket. FSD-MSP-LAX and then a return ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Accepting Y during IRROPS is not an involuntary downgrade; I would expect a ratable refund of the fare upon request, but no $200 ETC.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Mr. tm478 and I will be flying ATL-FCO on DL in September. I’m in Premium Select, he’s in coach (two separate tickets, because I couldn’t really imagine how to book both of those at the same time). Neither of us has any status on DL. Do I get lounge access in ATL, and if so, can I bring him in with me? (Do I need to call and link the two records to do that to demonstrate that we’re traveling together?)
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Mr. tm478 and I will be flying ATL-FCO on DL in September. I’m in Premium Select, he’s in coach (two separate tickets, because I couldn’t really imagine how to book both of those at the same time). Neither of us has any status on DL. Do I get lounge access in ATL, and if so, can I bring him in with me? (Do I need to call and link the two records to do that to demonstrate that we’re traveling together?)
Sorry, no lounge access is provided on Premium Select fares. Only DL Delta One business class fares provide for lounge access.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:31 pm

Here's another odd question. I was thinking of taking a long trip to get some MQM's so I thought I'd try a trip to Bangkok. (I'm Platinum)

On DL website I got a trip from OMA-DTW-ICN-BKK and it showed I would earn 8,775 miles, 19,114 MQM, 1,755 MDM (and circle mapper showed the trip as 9,563 air miles)
On KLM's I found a trip from OMA-ATL-AMS-BBK listed as 10,949 air miles on circle mapper. The KLM listing doesn't show the fare class or any mileage that I could find.
On the DL site it shows that economy fares on KLM earn as little as 25% of the miles earned (depending on the fare class) but it shows 100% of MQM and bonus.

So the question is, would I get 100% of the 25% as MQM or 100% (plus or minus) of the miles flown as MQM?
It would really stink to save $50 on a fare but lose 75% of the MQM's, when that's the whole point! I thought I might get an "extra" 2,000 MQM by going the other way around the world.
It looks like I would get either around 21,000 MQM or 5,250. Anyone know a simple way to find out? Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another odd question. I was thinking of taking a long trip to get some MQM's so I thought I'd try a trip to Bangkok. (I'm Platinum)

On DL website I got a trip from OMA-DTW-ICN-BKK and it showed I would earn 8,775 miles, 19,114 MQM, 1,755 MDM (and circle mapper showed the trip as 9,563 air miles)
On KLM's I found a trip from OMA-ATL-AMS-BBK listed as 10,949 air miles on circle mapper. The KLM listing doesn't show the fare class or any mileage that I could find.
On the DL site it shows that economy fares on KLM earn as little as 25% of the miles earned (depending on the fare class) but it shows 100% of MQM and bonus.

So the question is, would I get 100% of the 25% as MQM or 100% (plus or minus) of the miles flown as MQM?
It would really stink to save $50 on a fare but lose 75% of the MQM's, when that's the whole point! I thought I might get an "extra" 2,000 MQM by going the other way around the world.
It looks like I would get either around 21,000 MQM or 5,250. Anyone know a simple way to find out? Thanks!
It will earn 100% of miles flown as MQMs. The 25% figure only applies to redeemable miles earned. Delta Medallions also earn a bonus on redeemable miles based on status, but it is applied to the 25% of miles flown (and not actual miles flown). There is no status based bonus for MQMs earned.
CycloneSteve likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The numbers above for "miles flown" seem to be one way distances for the routings. A RT in most coach fares at 100% MQM will earn twice the indicated numbers of "miles flown" as MQMs.
CycloneSteve likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:23 am

Also, just in case you wanted to find out your fare class so that you can figure out your exact earnings, @xliioper detailed how to do so here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34272253-post14.html
CycloneSteve likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.