Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by physicsdude
I recently saw that my trip has suddenly gotten Sky Priority even though I am flying Y. Are there any benefits, like expedited security, at JFK or DTW?
DTW doesn’t have expedited security for skypriority, only the checkin/bag drop line and of course your boarding zone.
Old May 23, 2022, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VacationMode
DTW doesn’t have expedited security for skypriority, only the checkin/bag drop line and of course your boarding zone.
They actually do, but it can be somewhat difficult to identify. The entrance for the Sky Priority security lane is near the Sky Priority check-in desk. If you are having trouble locating it, ask one of the agents where to go for Sky Priority security. If you have TSA Precheck, there are also separate Sky Priority and non-Sky Priority lanes (although Sky Priority lane will often not be any shorter).
VacationMode likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 23, 2022 at 1:55 am
Old May 23, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by xliioper
They actually do, but it can be somewhat difficult to identify. The entrance for the Sky Priority security lane is near the Sky Priority check-in desk. If you are having trouble locating it, ask one of the agents where to go for Sky Priority security.
Interesting, I’ve definitely never noticed it before but I’ll ask about it next time. I’ve never actually done the SP security line, do you still get the precheck benefits or would I have to go to the regular precheck lane for that (what I normally do).
Old May 23, 2022, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VacationMode
Interesting, I’ve definitely never noticed it before but I’ll ask about it next time. I’ve never actually done the SP security line, do you still get the precheck benefits or would I have to go to the regular precheck lane for that (what I normally do).
NO, you only get PreCheck benefits if your boarding pass says PreCheck. The SkyPriority line is like a FC line and should be somewhat shorter that the equivalent nonSkyPriority lines.
VacationMode likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by xliioper
If you have TSA Precheck, there are also separate Sky Priority and non-Sky Priority lanes (although Sky Priority lane will often not be any shorter).
Are there other airports that do this? I keep hearing rumors of it, yet I have never encountered in person.
Old May 23, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by findark
Are there other airports that do this? I keep hearing rumors of it, yet I have never encountered in person.
MSP.

There's also CLEAR, where the CLEAR person takes you to the PreCheck or nonPreCheck lane.
Old May 23, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's because FB Gold is SkyTeam ElitePlus. Did this "suddenly" happen or did you "suddenly" add your FB number to the reservation?

There will be special SkyPriority check in lines and security lines, although PreCheck or CLEAR are likely to be faster. You also get lounge access on international itineraries and earlier boarding in coach.
Thanks for clearing things up. I keep thinking that my accrued flying blue xp is lower than it actually is due to 1.5X xp boost for my flights this year with AF/KLM.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
MSP.

There's also CLEAR, where the CLEAR person takes you to the PreCheck or nonPreCheck lane.
What?! Which lane? I would be extremely surprised to learn this. Both North and South checkpoints have only one Pre line that I can think of. Each is the closest to airside of its respective line, and I have no memory of any "merge" afterwards.

I am of course aware of CLEAR, but that's different.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:26 am
Suspended

never mind the answer was provided when I did a dummy booking

Last edited by craz; May 26, 2022 at 8:57 am
Old May 26, 2022, 11:20 am

I am flying Salt Lake City to Heathrow, 20:40 on Monday, but need to be out of my airbnb by 11 (so can't retrieve items later). SLC doesn't seem to have a left luggage facility; do I have any hope of dropping my check-in baggage with Delta in the morning so I can enjoy an afternoon in the city? In premium economy rather than business if that's relevant.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
I am flying Salt Lake City to Heathrow, 20:40 on Monday, but need to be out of my airbnb by 11 (so can't retrieve items later). SLC doesn't seem to have a left luggage facility; do I have any hope of dropping my check-in baggage with Delta in the morning so I can enjoy an afternoon in the city? In premium economy rather than business if that's relevant.
I recently checked a bag at SLC ~8 hours in advance for similar reasons, so I think you have a pretty good shot.
TheFlyingDoctor likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:11 pm

Does anyone know real quick whether there's additional UK "luxury tax" for a flight from LHR to the USA when I upgrade from PS to D1? My PS receipt already shows UK APD (airline passenger duty) of about $240.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Does anyone know real quick whether there's additional UK "luxury tax" for a flight from LHR to the USA when I upgrade from PS to D1? My PS receipt already shows UK APD (airline passenger duty) of about $240.
From a quick Google search, the only distinction in terms of cabins appears to be between "lowest cabin offered" and "anything higher" so it seems that going from PS to D1 should not result in additional APD.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:44 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm on hold with the DM line (HA!) now trying to get my ticket reissued. I found some UK government site that seems to say the same thing, which is what I suspect you're looking at. The agent is really struggling, but I want my ticket reissued before any schedule change.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:06 pm

Another question: When I've already purchased a ticket, *IF* additional APD is due, does the phone agent need me to give all credit card details versus using the card used to purchase the ticket, which is also the primary card on my account? Now I'm a bit worried that I gave card number, expiration date, and security code to the agent on the phone. The guy seemed new and very unsure but he did reissue the ticket (with supervisor help) and it looks OK to me. The process took about an hour with no waiting time on hold as a DM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.