Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old Nov 12, 21, 9:41 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC, MSY
Programs: DL DM, 1.3MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Posts: 5,477
Originally Posted by LadyWrites View Post
I'm sorry I didn't keep better track of a CSR who assisted me a few months ago. Wondering if it's too late?

This summer, I was informed by my elderly mother's nursing home that she was having trouble breathing and was in the hospital. I spoke with my mom and her doctor and it appeared she had stabilized. Mom was joking with me, and I told her I would make a jelly roll for when I next saw her. (A raspberry jelly roll is her personal sweet indulgence, and they don't have them in Wisconsin).

I made a reservation online with DL, BDL to MSN (RT) to visit her the following week. But the next day, mom called and said she wanted to refuse life-saving medical treatment and as her Health Care Agent, I said I would comply with her wishes. Her doctor said the hospital would release her back to the nursing home the following day.

The next morning, mom was back at the nursing home, off all life supports, and was fading fast. I tried speaking with her but she was uncommunicative. I decided to go to Madison asap, that afternoon. I tried calling DL to change my flight plan but hold time was four hours. So, I booked a another trip online (just one way) and immediately headed to JFK. (BDL didn't have any afternoon flights to MSN).

I explained the situation to the CSR, a young woman with long brown hair, whose name escapes me. She took the time to cancel my first trip. She had to make a number of lengthy calls to make it happen. Her supervisor got frustrated with her at one point, implying she should stop and move on, but she continued (fortunately, there wasn't a big line waiting behind me). She was able to cancel everything and was a big help.

I got to my mother just in time, she passed after just five hours.

This happened in August, and I never got the chance to send DL a message about the CSR, and how her assistance was greatly appreciated. So, without having a specific name, can I (should I?) send a message of thanks, and if so, who should I send it to?

Thanks
You can fill out a Compliment online. Login to Delta and click on NeedHelp? - Comment/Complaint (last item in left hand column) - Feedback & Complaints - Submit General Feedback - Check 'Give a Compliment" (bottom of list) - Reservations Experience - Click on Continue to Personal Info - Click on Continue to Comment and then you should be able to continue from there. Omit anything where the CSR might have violated policy and did you a favor such as her continuing after her supervisor told her to move on.

OR, do it my way and write a letter, which you should be good at, and send it to:

Delta Airlines, Inc.
Customer Care
P.O. Box 20980
Department 980
Atlanta, GA 30320-2980
LadyWrites likes this.
SuperG1955 is offline  
Old Nov 12, 21, 9:44 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,630
Originally Posted by LadyWrites View Post
<snip> This happened in August, and I never got the chance to send DL a message about the CSR, and how her assistance was greatly appreciated. So, without having a specific name, can I (should I?) send a message of thanks, and if so, who should I send it to?
I don't think providing the details as you described them would get her in trouble and in fact shows kindness and care toward a customer and fellow human. Others will know for sure, but I expect if you provide the ticket number (if DL chooses to) it could figure out who touched the reservation and identify the agent at JFK.
LadyWrites likes this.
El Boocho is offline  
Old Nov 12, 21, 9:47 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,630
Originally Posted by RRRW View Post
Hi -
I know if I'm waitlisted to use a RUC, and it doesn't clear, the cert will be available for future use. But what about if I cancel the reservation?

If I have a reservation, and I'm waitlisted to use a Regional Upgrade Cert, will that cert be returned for future use if I cancel on Delta.com? How about if I call and have the RUC removed from waitlist before I cancel the reservation.

Thanks
You get the cert back. Even if it clears and you cancel, you now get the cert back. Not sure when this changed, but I think it was in the past year or so.
El Boocho is offline  
Old Nov 12, 21, 1:22 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Connecticut, USA
Programs: Delta Silver
Posts: 157
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will write a letter to DL thanking the CSR who was helpful!
LadyWrites is offline  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:14 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Confused re: baggage/upgrades for companions

I am confused with how Delta manages a) baggage allowances and b) upgrades for people travelling together. I thought I understood, but just texted with a Delta Rep who gave me information that I did not think was true. Here's the scenario:

6 of us flying from roundrip this Friday to California - - but under 4 separate reservations due to using my AMEX companion passes (could only book 2 at a time with those). So that's:

1.) RES 1 - I am flying (paid ticket), my daughter is my companion. I am Silver Medallion. She is not (but she is a Sky Miles Member).
2.) RES 2 - My son is flying (paid ticket), my daughter's husband is my son's companion (it's an extra companion CERT I had that Delta extended due to COVID). Neither have status. Both a Sky Miles Members (new members).
3.) Res 3 - My son's GF is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Award trip (I reserved with my sky miles.)
4.) Res 4 - My husband is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Paid (technically, partially paid with an unused credit from a previously cancelled flight).

I was under the impression that I would still be upgrade eligible based on my silver medallion status, and that my daughter would be as well since she's my companion (but would clear at my level/status). And that no one else would be upgrade eligible at all (they don't have status, and I am not on their reservations).

I also thought I would get free baggage allowance (as would my daughter, as my companion), but no one else would.

**However, Delta rep just told me that EVERYONE flying would get free bags (as long as we check in together at airport). Well, that's nice, ha! BUT?
She also informed me that NO ONE travelling would be eligible for upgrade because "non status members are flying with you so you will not be eligible for upgrade".

I am confused as to why. We are under separate reservations. Why wouldn't I be eligible for upgrade? Is it because my daughter, non status, is my companion? That's not what Delta's website reads (rep told me must be old info). Huh? It's spelled out in several places. But perhaps I am not reading correctly ;-)

And why does everyone get free bags?! Ha.

Very confused.

But a) trying to advise family whether to count on checking a bag or not (don't want to be surprised with fees at airport) and also trying to manage expectations if any upgrades are available for myself ;-)

I do not believe these reservations are "linked". I suppose it's possible, but I didn't link them so....?
arroway is offline  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:24 pm
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 12,360
Originally Posted by arroway View Post
6 of us flying from roundrip this Friday to California - - but under 4 separate reservations due to using my AMEX companion passes (could only book 2 at a time with those). So that's:
Assuming your origin is within the United States or Canada:

Originally Posted by arroway View Post
1.) RES 1 - I am flying (paid ticket), my daughter is my companion. I am Silver Medallion. She is not (but she is a Sky Miles Member).
Checked baggage allowance: each pax, 1x70 lbs (ed. 2x70 lbs if you are also a Delta Amex cardholder)
Upgrade eligibility: each pax, with the priority of a Silver Medallion

Originally Posted by arroway View Post
2.) RES 2 - My son is flying (paid ticket), my daughter's husband is my son's companion (it's an extra companion CERT I had that Delta extended due to COVID). Neither have status. Both a Sky Miles Members (new members).
3.) Res 3 - My son's GF is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Award trip (I reserved with my sky miles.)
4.) Res 4 - My husband is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Paid (technically, partially paid with an unused credit from a previously cancelled flight).
Checked baggage allowance: none
Upgrade eligibility: none

At check-in, the agent may waive the first checked bag fee for your off-PNR companions traveling on the same itinerary, assuming you check in together. This is an unpublished benefit, but frequently honored.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by findark; Nov 15, 21 at 2:56 pm
findark is online now  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:25 pm
  #52  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,768
Originally Posted by arroway View Post
I am confused with how Delta manages a) baggage allowances and b) upgrades for people travelling together. I thought I understood, but just texted with a Delta Rep who gave me information that I did not think was true. Here's the scenario:

6 of us flying from roundrip this Friday to California - - but under 4 separate reservations due to using my AMEX companion passes (could only book 2 at a time with those). So that's:

1.) RES 1 - I am flying (paid ticket), my daughter is my companion. I am Silver Medallion. She is not (but she is a Sky Miles Member).
2.) RES 2 - My son is flying (paid ticket), my daughter's husband is my son's companion (it's an extra companion CERT I had that Delta extended due to COVID). Neither have status. Both a Sky Miles Members (new members).
3.) Res 3 - My son's GF is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Award trip (I reserved with my sky miles.)
4.) Res 4 - My husband is flying. Sky Miles Member. No Status. Paid (technically, partially paid with an unused credit from a previously cancelled flight).

I was under the impression that I would still be upgrade eligible based on my silver medallion status, and that my daughter would be as well since she's my companion (but would clear at my level/status). And that no one else would be upgrade eligible at all (they don't have status, and I am not on their reservations).

I also thought I would get free baggage allowance (as would my daughter, as my companion), but no one else would.

**However, Delta rep just told me that EVERYONE flying would get free bags (as long as we check in together at airport). Well, that's nice, ha! BUT?
She also informed me that NO ONE travelling would be eligible for upgrade because "non status members are flying with you so you will not be eligible for upgrade".

I am confused as to why. We are under separate reservations. Why wouldn't I be eligible for upgrade? Is it because my daughter, non status, is my companion? That's not what Delta's website reads (rep told me must be old info). Huh? It's spelled out in several places. But perhaps I am not reading correctly ;-)

And why does everyone get free bags?! Ha.

Very confused.

But a) trying to advise family whether to count on checking a bag or not (don't want to be surprised with fees at airport) and also trying to manage expectations if any upgrades are available for myself ;-)

I do not believe these reservations are "linked". I suppose it's possible, but I didn't link them so....?
Yes, everyone will (should) get free bags if you check-in together. But you will need to go to the counter together so the agent can manually over-ride the fees.

On the subject of upgrades, your reservation with your daughter should be upgrade eligible, though you will be pretty low on the totem pole. Was does it show under "My Trips" under the "Manage Upgrades" section?
ATOBTTR is offline  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:33 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Yes, everyone will (should) get free bags if you check-in together. But you will need to go to the counter together so the agent can manually over-ride the fees.

On the subject of upgrades, your reservation with your daughter should be upgrade eligible, though you will be pretty low on the totem pole. Was does it show under "My Trips" under the "Manage Upgrades" section?
Yes, silver is no fun for upgrades, ha!

I do have the "manage upgrades" option available and it shows "upgrade requested"! I wonder why the agent was insistent this wasn't the case? It was a secondary conversation (my main question was about baggage). It almost seemed like she was connecting the two things - like, if we all check in together, I'd lose any upgraded seats (is that even possible?) I dunno. Seemed weird.

I'm not a newbie traveler, but I've never travelled with my entire family, either. ;-)

Thanks!
arroway is offline  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:35 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Assuming your origin is within the United States or Canada:
At check-in, the agent may waive the first checked bag fee for your off-PNR companions traveling on the same itinerary, assuming you check in together. This is an unpublished benefit, but frequently honored.
Ah.....I didn't know that was a benefit. Nice. Hopefully they will? I hate to advise folks to plan on checking bags and then find out it's costly ;-)
arroway is offline  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:44 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Assuming your origin is within the United States or Canada:

Checked baggage allowance: each pax, 1x70 lbs
Upgrade eligibility: each pax, with the priority of a Silver Medallion
Also? My Trips shows I get 2 checked bags at 70lbs and my daughter (companion) does as well. So that's 4 for sure even if the others don't get it as a courtesy benefit. (It says both 1st and 2nd are free. I didn't realize we'd each get 2 free checked bags? This seems like a lot. Granted, I never check more than one so maybe it's always available and I didn't know?)
arroway is offline  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:55 pm
  #56  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,768
Originally Posted by arroway View Post
Also? My Trips shows I get 2 checked bags at 70lbs and my daughter (companion) does as well. So that's 4 for sure even if the others don't get it as a courtesy benefit. (It says both 1st and 2nd are free. I didn't realize we'd each get 2 free checked bags? This seems like a lot. Granted, I never check more than one so maybe it's always available and I didn't know?)
It's always been there. Silver Medallions get one free bag as a benefit of their Silver status and then if they have a co-branded Delta AmEx, they get a second checked bag free as well.
Synapseturquoise and arroway like this.
ATOBTTR is offline  
Old Nov 15, 21, 2:56 pm
  #57  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 12,360
Originally Posted by arroway View Post
Also? My Trips shows I get 2 checked bags at 70lbs and my daughter (companion) does as well. So that's 4 for sure even if the others don't get it as a courtesy benefit. (It says both 1st and 2nd are free. I didn't realize we'd each get 2 free checked bags? This seems like a lot. Granted, I never check more than one so maybe it's always available and I didn't know?)
I forgot the obvious but unstated status in your post.

If you are a Amex Delta Platinum (or Reserve) cardholder and a Silver Medallion, 2x70 each pax would be correct.
arroway likes this.
findark is online now  
Old Nov 16, 21, 9:40 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: London, UK
Programs: Top of ST, OW and Hilton.
Posts: 101
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me answer this. I'm trying to write feedback on a recent flight, where much went wrong, to Delta using the online form on Delta. I can fill the form but never receive a confirmation email or case number after submitting my feedback.

Is this normal, or do you only get a reply once someone has looked at it? It has been over a week now without any confirmation.

In short: should I get an e-mail confirmation right away after filling the complaint form?
MarcElMile is offline  
Old Nov 17, 21, 5:02 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PLT
Posts: 55
What does FO mean? I see folks posting about Gold (GM) and Plat (PM) and Diamond (DM) Medallion statuses, but I also see FO listed as someone ahead in the UG queue.
ZKrunk is offline  
Old Nov 17, 21, 7:55 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by ZKrunk View Post
What does FO mean? I see folks posting about Gold (GM) and Plat (PM) and Diamond (DM) Medallion statuses, but I also see FO listed as someone ahead in the UG queue.
Another acronym for Silver Medallion (SM)
tomtaylor23 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread