Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by writetorich
If I have a T class coach class ticket departing 8:00 pm Saturday , what is the procedure to request a same day change. (I did not see anyway to make such a request on the APP)

1-Is there a change fee?
2-Is there a difference in fare fee?
3- At what day and time can I make the request ? ( i.e the earliest time possible)
4-and how would I do it
If it makes any difference , I have a refundable fare but I do not want to cancel and buy the desired flight as a new purchase because it is more expensive.

Happy New year to all.
You can try for SDC = same day confirmed or SDS = same day standby starting 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your (first) current flight.

Coach requires availability in the same fare class, T for you, for SDC, but you can change to another legal routing or go from a nonstop to a connection but not vv.

For nonelites, IIRC there's a $75 fee but no fare difference. Also, you cannot do SDS to a later flight or to some new connection where you risk being stranded at the transit point.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writetorich
If I have a T class coach class ticket departing 8:00 pm Saturday , what is the procedure to request a same day change. (I did not see anyway to make such a request on the APP)

1-Is there a change fee?
2-Is there a difference in fare fee?
3- At what day and time can I make the request ? ( i.e the earliest time possible)
4-and how would I do it
If it makes any difference , I have a refundable fare but I do not want to cancel and buy the desired flight as a new purchase because it is more expensive.

Happy New year to all.
You can't same-day confirm/stand-by until 24 hours before your originally scheduled flight (which is also check-in time). There's an option for it in the app once you hit 24-hour mark. There's a $75 fee for SDC unless your are gold or higher (there also must original booking class availability which will be somewhat rare for a T fare -- only X and V are lower). There's no charge for same-day standby and no requirement original fare class availability. You can also SDC/SDS via website by going through the check-in process and selecting change flight option. You can repeat check-in process online as often as you want even if you are already checked in.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 31, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:59 am

Hi all,

I’m one of the many travelers who earned status at an accelerated rate this year. I went from Silver to Gold to Platinum in just a few months.

I reached Platinum on 12/29.
- When will I be able to choose my CB?
- How does the 2023 status extension apply / doesn’t apply to me?

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FabCW
Hi all,

I’m one of the many travelers who earned status at an accelerated rate this year. I went from Silver to Gold to Platinum in just a few months.

I reached Platinum on 12/29.
- When will I be able to choose my CB?
- How does the 2023 status extension apply / doesn’t apply to me?

Thanks for your input.
You should be able to select 2022 Plat Choice Benefit now -- https://www.delta.com/en_US/skymiles...hoice-benefits
You only get a single Choice Benefit for the program year of your status qualification (while you earned Plat status during the 2021 calendar year, it was actually status for the 2022 Medallion program year) which you can select through 1/31/2023 which is the end of 2022 Medallion program year. You will not get another Plat Choice Benefit for next year unless you requalify for 2023 Medallion program year Plat status during the 2022 calendar year.

There has been no announcement about status extensions for 2023 program year (and I suspect they will not do another extension) and the status extensions for 2022 do not have any application to your situation as you earned status organically -- other than you having higher upgrade priority over Plats who did not earn or re-earn their Plat status organically during 2021 calendar year and are relying on the status extension for their Plat status during 2022 program year. Also, Plats who had their status extended for 2022 program year did not get a 2022 Plat Choice Benefit (unlike last year where both those who earned Plat status organically during 2020 and those who were given extended Plat status both got a 2021 Plat Choice Benefit).
FabCW likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 1, 2022 at 6:49 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM,
I currently hold a Delta Platinum AXEX card with a $25,000 Platinum waiver. If I elect to establish a Delta Reserve card as well to achieve their bonuses after spending $3k(understanding that I will have an extra annual fee), If in theory I only spend $22k on the Delta platinum card and $3k on the Delta reserve card, do I still qualify for the MQD spend waiver for platinum? Multiple phone calls to AMEX and e-mails to Delta have yielded different answers. Ideally, if it is AMEX spend, I can't figure out why not.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
I currently hold a Delta Platinum AXEX card with a $25,000 Platinum waiver. If I elect to establish a Delta Reserve card as well to achieve their bonuses after spending $3k(understanding that I will have an extra annual fee), If in theory I only spend $22k on the Delta platinum card and $3k on the Delta reserve card, do I still qualify for the MQD spend waiver for platinum? Multiple phone calls to AMEX and e-mails to Delta have yielded different answers. Ideally, if it is AMEX spend, I can't figure out why not.

Thanks in advance.
The AmEx MQD Waiver is supposed to account for spend across all qualifying co-branded DL AmEx cards so in your example you should qualify for the DL AmEx MQD Waiver. (Of course it’d be silly to spend $22K on the Platinum and then spend $3K on the Reserve and then not get the 15,000 MQMs that one would get for spending $25K on the DL Platinum AmEx).
MSPeconomist and KOTAR1988 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Do DL award tickets still earn MQM
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Do DL award tickets still earn MQM
Yes, they have extended it for another year. But the status accelerator has ended, so neither award or revenue flights earn a MQM bonus now. Note that only DL metal award flights will earn MQM. Also, they are not giving a class or service MQM bonus on awards upgraded post-purchase (via certs, miles, or cash) because they all rebook into OY. FC/D1 awards will earn class of service bonus if that is how they were originally purchased (books into OZ/OI/OD/OC/OJ classes).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 2, 2022 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Did Delta stop flying to Iceland? May 2021 they announced flights, can't find anything saying they stopped.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cubeman
Did Delta stop flying to Iceland? May 2021 they announced flights, can't find anything saying they stopped.
They were seasonal flights. JFK-KEF restarts May 1st and MSP-KEF on May 26th.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:58 am

I have a newbie question about SkyTeam partner MQD earnings. I know that if I take an AF flight, say from ATL-CDG on AF metal, bought from AF, and in Business class, I get 40% of mileage for MQD.

What happens when you have a flight sold by AF (or KLM) that one of the legs is on DL metal? For instance ATL-JFK-CDG purchased from AF but the ATL-JFK flight is operated by Delta. Does that change the earnings equation?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjcace
I have a newbie question about SkyTeam partner MQD earnings. I know that if I take an AF flight, say from ATL-CDG on AF metal, bought from AF, and in Business class, I get 40% of mileage for MQD.

What happens when you have a flight sold by AF (or KLM) that one of the legs is on DL metal? For instance ATL-JFK-CDG purchased from AF but the ATL-JFK flight is operated by Delta. Does that change the earnings equation?
No, MQM/MQD/mileage earnings are solely based on marketing carrier (operating and ticketing carrier don't matter). You can actually book AF marketed flights on Delta website as a Delta ticket with the right tools.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
No, MQM/MQD/mileage earnings are solely based on marketing carrier (operating and ticketing carrier don't matter). You can actually book AF marketed flights on Delta website as a Delta ticket with the right tools.
To add to this: make sure you check the rules/earnings for a marketing carrier. For example, a VS marketed, DL operated flight would earn miles while a VS marketed, KL or AF operated flight would not earn miles (even though VS, AF, and KL are DL all partners and partners with each other). Don't assume that just because VS is a DL partner that any VS or otherwise DL-partner marketed flight would earn DL miles. Check the earnings details on DL.com so there's no surprises later on.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there's a more general rule saying that you don't earn on codeshares when one of the marketing/operating carriers is a SkyTeam member other than DL and the other isn't a SkyTeam member.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:35 am

After you select your $200 Plat Medallion Benefit (I know this is not the most popular but this is what works best best for me since I book First/D1), it says I will receive an email.

When can I expect that email and when will the certificate appear in my SkyMiles account?

Thanks friends!
✈️

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.