Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award Ticket- Cancellation and Redeposit

Award Ticket- Cancellation and Redeposit

Old Oct 18, 21, 1:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 234
Award Ticket- Cancellation and Redeposit

As I understood from DL website:
1) award ticket (anything above Basic Eco) can be cancelled ANYTIME BEFORE flight WITHOUT penalty
2) award tickets mile would be redeposited WITHOUT any fees
3) taxes will be credited back to charge card

Am I right ( this is like good old days) ? or am I missing something (fine print) ?
Thanks for clarification.
BDQBDQ is offline  
Old Oct 18, 21, 1:17 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by BDQBDQ View Post
As I understood from DL website:
1) award ticket (anything above Basic Eco) can be cancelled ANYTIME BEFORE flight WITHOUT penalty
2) award tickets mile would be redeposited WITHOUT any fees
3) taxes will be credited back to charge card

Am I right ( this is like good old days) ? or am I missing something (fine print) ?
Thanks for clarification.
1)Yes
2)As long as originating in N. America, yes
3)yes
flyerCO is offline  
Old Oct 18, 21, 1:26 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by BDQBDQ View Post
As I understood from DL website:
1) award ticket (anything above Basic Eco) can be cancelled ANYTIME BEFORE flight WITHOUT penalty
2) award tickets mile would be redeposited WITHOUT any fees
3) taxes will be credited back to charge card

Am I right ( this is like good old days) ? or am I missing something (fine print) ?
Thanks for clarification.


1: I believe even basic economy award tickets are refundable but only for flights that depart before December 31, 2021. When going through a dummy booking, the exact wording says "Book your next trip now and enjoy peace of mind with no change fees. Excludes Basic Economy travel that departs after December 31, 2021.


2 and 3: I've booked and cancelled a few award flights. Miles are redeposited within minutes of cancelling (could take up to 10-20 minutes) and the taxes and fees are refunded back to original form of payment within 5 business days (from my own experience). As long as the travel originates in North America, they will be refunded.
xjaehyun is offline  
Old Oct 18, 21, 4:46 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 234
Thanks

Thank you, guys
Peace of mind with hearing from the pro's
BDQBDQ is offline  
Old Oct 18, 21, 6:53 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,119
Originally Posted by BDQBDQ View Post
Thank you, guys
Peace of mind with hearing from the pro's
And DL is usually pretty fast refunding the taxes back to your credit card
fly747first is offline  
Old Apr 26, 22, 8:19 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,913
Just wanting to confirm that this is still the policy for NA domestic award tickets. No problem canceling even up to the day before?
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CHS
Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 675
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
Just wanting to confirm that this is still the policy for NA domestic award tickets. No problem canceling even up to the day before?
Confirmed. Just canceled a flight the day before departure and miles were redeposited without issue. Although the warnings did make me worry:

"You are attempting to cancel an Award Ticket that is within 72 hours of departure. Award Tickets must be canceled at least 72 hours prior to originating flight time to be eligible for mileage redeposit (exceptions may apply). Miles will not be redeposited".

However, once I clicked through to the next screen, it confirmed that the miles would be redeposited. Guess an exception did in fact apply? I'm a Diamond so maybe that makes a difference?

yupenn likes this.
jmgriffin is offline  
Old Jun 7, 22, 1:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,913
Originally Posted by jmgriffin View Post
Confirmed. Just canceled a flight the day before departure and miles were redeposited without issue. Although the warnings did make me worry:

"You are attempting to cancel an Award Ticket that is within 72 hours of departure. Award Tickets must be canceled at least 72 hours prior to originating flight time to be eligible for mileage redeposit (exceptions may apply). Miles will not be redeposited".

However, once I clicked through to the next screen, it confirmed that the miles would be redeposited. Guess an exception did in fact apply? I'm a Diamond so maybe that makes a difference?

Most excellent data point! Thanks! I’m going to go ahead and book a trip. Probably will actually keep but these days I never count on anything anymore.
Stgermainparis is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:07 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: JFK
Posts: 217
award ticket originating overseas

An award ticket originating overseas would get a fee to redeposit? What is the fee for non elite?
I booked and am within 24 hours, but if there's a fee I'll cancel till I'm 100% sure about the trip.
airfly56 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 10:09 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by airfly56 View Post
An award ticket originating overseas would get a fee to redeposit? What is the fee for non elite?
I booked and am within 24 hours, but if there's a fee I'll cancel till I'm 100% sure about the trip.
Technically, yes. However DL agents seem to not be charging.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 21, 22, 12:15 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: JFK
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Technically, yes. However DL agents seem to not be charging.
thank you, also, this link seems to say simply there are no fees? https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...vel-with-miles
airfly56 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:51 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by airfly56 View Post
thank you, also, this link seems to say simply there are no fees? https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...vel-with-miles
If you click details, you'll see the free is for ex-N America award tickets.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:03 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 795
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
If you click details, you'll see the free is for ex-N America award tickets.
I've never heard of an instance of travel originating anywhere else being charged a fee, and I've seen this question asked here many times.
Goodoldflyer is online now  
Old Jun 24, 22, 2:54 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
I've never heard of an instance of travel originating anywhere else being charged a fee, and I've seen this question asked here many times.
It's been posted about tons of times. Now if an agent actually charges is different question. However it has been discussed what policy is many, many times, in multiple threads.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 12:45 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 795
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
It's been posted about tons of times. Now if an agent actually charges is different question. However it has been discussed what policy is many, many times, in multiple threads.
I've seen the policy discussed many, many times, in multiple threads. I haven't seen where anyone was actually charged a fee, so I've always been quite curious about it. I'm a relative newby, though. I just always look for first hand accounts.

If someone has experience (particularly recently), I hope they weigh in.
Goodoldflyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread