To test or not to test.

Old Oct 12, 21, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
To test or not to test.

It looks like as of last week things became a lot easier for US travelers heading to Europe. All the countries I'm visiting or transiting next week allow for vaccinated travelers to travel without testing; but what's DL's take? Since France allows vaccinated travelers, I _shouldn't_ need a negative test for ATL-CDG, but when heading back home FRA-ATL; I will need a test (as of 10/13/21).

This is my international trip since the rules were relaxed. Previously you needed to show the GA the forms for the destination country to board, so will I need my vaccine card for boarding or should i be expecting an email from DL in the coming days that will explain all that?
Old Oct 13, 21, 2:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I read that a couple of times but I can't figure out what you're trying to ask. So let me break it down for you:

If a country you are going to requires proof of vaccine, then you will need to bring proof of vaccine.

If a country you are going to requires a negative test result, then you will need to bring a negative test result.
mrcool1122, JBa, cre95 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 21, 3:18 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
The rules for entry into countries are set by the relevant regulatory authorites, not the airlines. The airlines are just the ones carrying out the document checks, and thus liable to validate them before accepting you on board.

If the rules for entry into France from the US dictate no PCR test is required, then DL will not ask you for them. Just proof of vaccination.
When travelling to the US, an antigenic or PCR test is required. The good news for you is that it is quite easy to get tests in Europe at relatively low cost and no hassle (around 30 € for an antigenic test) which will be fine for travel to the US.

You're responsible for keeping up-to-date on the entry requirements ; don't expect the airlines to send reminders.
Old Oct 13, 21, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
One suggestion. Start the French process if getting an EU vaccination certificate now. The process they use is painfully slow. Alternatively if in Germany for any reason, simply stop at pharmacy and they can issue one, very easy/quick. Once issued it's valid in all EU countries.

You will need the EU vaccination certificate to be able to enter most places.
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:15 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Gold, AccorHotels Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
One suggestion. Start the French process if getting an EU vaccination certificate now. The process they use is painfully slow. Alternatively if in Germany for any reason, simply stop at pharmacy and they can issue one, very easy/quick. Once issued it's valid in all EU countries.

You will need the EU vaccination certificate to be able to enter most places.
Not true. Proof of vaccination is required for numerous spots, but it does not need to be the EU QR Code. It's nice to have, but when my mother came from the US to visit, no one cared that she was using a CDC card, even for a domestic French flight. And in Germany, they do not even scan it.
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mlin32 View Post
Not true. Proof of vaccination is required for numerous spots, but it does not need to be the EU QR Code. It's nice to have, but when my mother came from the US to visit, no one cared that she was using a CDC card, even for a domestic French flight. And in Germany, they do not even scan it.
How long ago was this? This changed back in August/September. A number of countries now require use of a COVID Pass even for foreigners. The CDC card will work for airline/ immigration purposes but not to enter restaurants/grocery stores/etc.... If you don't convert, then you must take a CV19 test every couple days to scan into Pass app.

I used Germany only as example where getting an EU compliant certificate is easy.
AsiaTraveler likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 13, 21 at 6:44 am
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
I flew into the US this week and was never asked to show my test (not by the airline or CBP.)
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
I flew into the US this week and was never asked to show my test (not by the airline or CBP.)
Thread is about going to Europe.

Regardless the airline should've asked to see the result and collected the attestation form. CBP has nothing to do with US testing requirement. The testing requirement is a CDC mandate. Unless flight is selected for random compliance check by CDC staff (highly unlikely) you don't show anything.
Old Oct 13, 21, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Thread is about going to Europe.
If you read the OPs entire post, its about both going and coming back.
Mountain Explorer and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Oct 13, 21, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer View Post
I read that a couple of times but I can't figure out what you're trying to ask. So let me break it down for you:

If a country you are going to requires proof of vaccine, then you will need to bring proof of vaccine.

If a country you are going to requires a negative test result, then you will need to bring a negative test result.
It is actually worse than that, at least in theory. In Germany for example there are state specific rules, so when entering you have to follow the national rules and then the state rules. And to add insult to injury, things change frequently. In practice, nobody seems to care, i.e. ask for anything, when you enter the country. So what you need is really what Delta asks you to provide/ lets you get away with.

Once you are in the country, you need proof of vaccination to go to restaurants, museums, and to take a plane, maybe more. All kinds of proof are acceptable, the US CDC card works almost everywhere in Germany, in France they ask for QR code.
Old Oct 13, 21, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by drminn View Post
It is actually worse than that, at least in theory. In Germany for example there are state specific rules, so when entering you have to follow the national rules and then the state rules. And to add insult to injury, things change frequently. In practice, nobody seems to care, i.e. ask for anything, when you enter the country. So what you need is really what Delta asks you to provide/ lets you get away with.

Once you are in the country, you need proof of vaccination to go to restaurants, museums, and to take a plane, maybe more. All kinds of proof are acceptable, the US CDC card works almost everywhere in Germany, in France they ask for QR code.
It's funny, Germany for most part will take CDC card, but makes it very easy for foreigners to get EU version. France requires the EU version, but makes you jump through couple hoops and wait forever to get one (if they don't just outright cancel request).
Old Oct 13, 21, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
If you read the OPs entire post, its about both going and coming back.
You're right. I just read the post as issue being concerned about going.
Old Oct 13, 21, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
It's funny, Germany for most part will take CDC card, but makes it very easy for foreigners to get EU version. France requires the EU version, but makes you jump through couple hoops and wait forever to get one (if they don't just outright cancel request).
In France, you can get around just fine with a CDC card (or any other foreign vax certificate) - I was there late Sept and we had people from the US and South Africa in our party without a QR code and no issues on trains or in restaurants. And we weren't in Paris either. In reality YMMV, but in the week we spent going around the CDC card was not rejected once.

On-topic: at the time, France did not require an entry test. But at check-in in STL the agents were clueless about what was needed to get into France beyond a vax record. They tried to get me to sign an attestation which literally said "for unvaccinated persons". Ultimately I convinced them i'd sort it at the gate in ATL and they gave me my boarding pass.
Old Oct 13, 21, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
We went to France in July and got tested just in case but no one asked to see them. DL did ask for our vaccine cards at check in and when we landed at CDG, they checked them as well. At the time unvaccinated people could go in with a test, a friend of mine was able to enter with just the test.
Old Oct 13, 21, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer View Post

Wow, yea, I butchered that post didn't I?

The key point I was trying to ask about was: If the countries need proof of vaccine rather than negative tests, I should take my CDC card yea? I mean, I'll need it anyway once I get to Germany so it's a moot question really.

Search this Thread