To test or not to test.

Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
In France, you can get around just fine with a CDC card (or any other foreign vax certificate) - I was there late Sept and we had people from the US and South Africa in our party without a QR code and no issues on trains or in restaurants. And we weren't in Paris either. In reality YMMV, but in the week we spent going around the CDC card was not rejected once.

On-topic: at the time, France did not require an entry test. But at check-in in STL the agents were clueless about what was needed to get into France beyond a vax record. They tried to get me to sign an attestation which literally said "for unvaccinated persons". Ultimately I convinced them i'd sort it at the gate in ATL and they gave me my boarding pass.
I've had co-workers denied access to restaurants without EU PASS. If business is willing to take risk I guess they can accept CDC card. However the rules say need a scannable EU Pass. If not you're supposed to get a PCR test every couple (3 I think) days.
Xeno likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mlin32
Not true. Proof of vaccination is required for numerous spots, but it does not need to be the EU QR Code. It's nice to have, but when my mother came from the US to visit, no one cared that she was using a CDC card, even for a domestic French flight. And in Germany, they do not even scan it.
Yep. Although I was merely transiting through CDG last week, they wanted proof of a negative PCR test at the gate before allowing me (or, anyone for that matter) to board. GA made several announcements that everyone needed to check-in and show the negative test ahead of boarding.

Didn't care a lick about the vaccination card.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Yep. Although I was merely transiting through CDG last week, they wanted proof of a negative PCR test at the gate before allowing me (or, anyone for that matter) to board. GA made several announcements that everyone needed to check-in and show the negative test ahead of boarding.

Didn't care a lick about the vaccination card.

This depends on country flying to. Some require PCR test even if vaccinated to enter.

This is separate from requirement of number of countries to have proof of vaccination or recent PCR test to enter restaurants, etc..
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by photojojo
Wow, yea, I butchered that post didn't I?

The key point I was trying to ask about was: If the countries need proof of vaccine rather than negative tests, I should take my CDC card yea? I mean, I'll need it anyway once I get to Germany so it's a moot question really.
If you don’t bring your CDC how will you show proof of vaccination?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
For France (at least for me) it was pretty simply to get a EU digit covid certificate. Mine was done in a day but YMMV. https://www.demarches-simplifiees.fr/

We are heading there in about 10 days so I was planning on taking my CDC card (if requested when returning from France) as well as a paper printout of the digit covid certificate since a couple of the wineries we are visiting mentioned the certificate was needed for the tour. I would love to hear any recent experience in getting a covid test for re-entry the states as that still seems to be a requirement...

For instance, in France is it pretty fast to get results or can you just get tested then have them email the results? do they have them at the airport (CDG) with a turnaround of less than an hour? We are moving to a new location just about every day so if it requires more than a couple hours we will have to make some space in the itinerary.

Last edited by RhinoDL; Oct 13, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:47 pm

Maybe not applicable to the OP, but Italy (just returned on sunday) required the vaccine card frequently, but the CDC card was fine. Pretty much any indoor dining asked for it. Was actually a lot quicker than greenpass, because they just had to glance at it and not scan it in.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by devans999
Maybe not applicable to the OP, but Italy (just returned on sunday) required the vaccine card frequently, but the CDC card was fine. Pretty much any indoor dining asked for it. Was actually a lot quicker than greenpass, because they just had to glance at it and not scan it in.
Good to know. Heading to Italy tomorrow! Did you have to show proof of negative test along with your CDC card? I have both, but my 72 hour before arrival window is pretty narrow.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:26 pm

Italy requires a negative test to avoid quarantine; in our case, the only check was done by the airline.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO

This depends on country flying to. Some require PCR test even if vaccinated to enter.

This is separate from requirement of number of countries to have proof of vaccination or recent PCR test to enter restaurants, etc..
Correct, and I totally understand that; however, in ATL they were requiring everyone boarding the flight, regardless of final destination, to show the negative test.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by photojojo
Wow, yea, I butchered that post didn't I?

The key point I was trying to ask about was: If the countries need proof of vaccine rather than negative tests, I should take my CDC card yea? I mean, I'll need it anyway once I get to Germany so it's a moot question really.
To your 2nd question, yes.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:39 am

Here's my take.

As a responsible person before I travel I test. I don't have to be told to do so by some regulatory body.

SO for example I am going to Las Vegas next week for a conference. I will test before I leave and a few days after I get back. It's just the right thing to do IMHO
jrkmsp and smc333 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dcadwell
Correct, and I totally understand that; however, in ATL they were requiring everyone boarding the flight, regardless of final destination, to show the negative test.
Sounds like an agent that doesn't have a clue.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RhinoDL
For France (at least for me) it was pretty simply to get a EU digit covid certificate. Mine was done in a day but YMMV. https://www.demarches-simplifiees.fr/

We are heading there in about 10 days so I was planning on taking my CDC card (if requested when returning from France) as well as a paper printout of the digit covid certificate since a couple of the wineries we are visiting mentioned the certificate was needed for the tour. I would love to hear any recent experience in getting a covid test for re-entry the states as that still seems to be a requirement...

For instance, in France is it pretty fast to get results or can you just get tested then have them email the results? do they have them at the airport (CDG) with a turnaround of less than an hour? We are moving to a new location just about every day so if it requires more than a couple hours we will have to make some space in the itinerary.
The EU COVID certificate is all you need. You only need CDC card if have no COVID Pass (based on vaccine, if pass is because you took PCR test in last three days, CDC will be required). I've used the French EU Vaccination certificate to enter multiple EU countries.
RhinoDL likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 16, 2021 at 11:32 am
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium
Is it pretty easy to find and get a COVID test prior to re-entry into the states?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RhinoDL
Is it pretty easy to find and get a COVID test prior to re-entry into the states?
What location?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.