DeltaOne Sky Miles sale timing

Old Oct 12, 21, 9:26 am
Original Poster

DeltaOne Sky Miles sale timing

Hi everyone - back in January 2019, I was able to book a one way ticket for August from Pittsburgh to Nice, France in DeltaOne for around 70k skymiles. I assume I must have caught a sale because I'm looking again for a one way flight from Pittsburgh to Barcelona for next July (2022) and all DeltaOne seats are 320k miles. Does Delta have these Sky Miles sales to Europe often? Is there a typical time to look out for them?
Old Oct 12, 21, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amira11 View Post
Hi everyone - back in January 2019, I was able to book a one way ticket for August from Pittsburgh to Nice, France in DeltaOne for around 70k skymiles. I assume I must have caught a sale because I'm looking again for a one way flight from Pittsburgh to Barcelona for next July (2022) and all DeltaOne seats are 320k miles. Does Delta have these Sky Miles sales to Europe often? Is there a typical time to look out for them?
Has nothing to do with sale. There's multiple level awards for DL metal flights. Same as there's multiple costs for seats in same flight. Right now only the most expensive levels are available. As DL has no clue what it'll actually fly next summer, it makes sense to only make expensive levels available. Otherwise they have to rebook tons of people on cheap fares when schedule changes.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 12, 21, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Has nothing to do with sale. There's multiple level awards for DL metal flights. Same as there's multiple costs for seats in same flight. Right now only the most expensive levels are available. As DL has no clue what it'll actually fly next summer, it makes sense to only make expensive levels available. Otherwise they have to rebook tons of people on cheap fares when schedule changes.
This is really helpful - thank you! Do you know when Delta typically knows what it will actually fly next summer? Perhaps January is the sweet spot...
Old Oct 12, 21, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
This is really helpful - thank you! Do you know when Delta typically knows what it will actually fly next summer? Perhaps January is the sweet spot...
There is nothing typical about anything in the airline industry right now.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 12, 21, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They used to run monthly awards flash sales that lasted for 48 hours. They stopped doing those after Covid hit. They were usually only for coach awards, but sometimes they would put Delta One awards on sale. However, those were always roundtrip awards, and were not available as one-way awards (there was a D1 award sale in 11/2018 for 98K miles roundtrip). So you didn't purchase one of those.

The low-level EU D1 awards used to be 80K one-way with a 90-day advance purchase. I'm guessing you redeemed one of those and it was actually 80K miles instead of 70K miles. You might want to check if you saved your confirmation email (DL also has 3 years of account activity history online). They have since raised the low-level D1 awards to 105K each-way. However, these awards now require a roundtrip purchase (210K roundtrip) and are not available for one-way bookings. This is why you are only seeing 320K award levels. If you want to see the lowest awards, you will need to search and book as roundtrips. There are partner awards to the EU that are available for 120K as one-ways. But finding partner availability can be very challenging as they heavily limit seat availability to Delta for awards. There are also 65K one-way D1 awards from Mexico and Caribbean to Europe, but you will need to reposition to fly those.

Here's a PIT-NCE award search for D1 in calendar mode for a roundtrip award with 1-week stay. You can see there are a few dates in August with availability at the 105K each-way (210K roundtrip) level.

Here's a one-way D1 award search for NAS-NCE. You can see some dates where there are one-way D1 awards for 65K here. If you book a return award as a one-way, there's an ex-EU 150 Euro surcharge. Booking as a roundtrip will avoid the ex-EU surcharges.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 12, 21 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 12, 21, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Whenever I get an announcement of a sale from DL, the fine print at the bottom of the email says that the promo is for BE tickets, not even regular coach.
Old Oct 12, 21, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
For a saver ticket I would be happy to work my way serving PDBs
Old Dec 7, 21, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I posted this in the "Deals" thread, but just got email confirmation that this is a 48-hour D1 award flash sale (the first since Covid hit) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33792168-post5424.html
The email appears to have errors as availability for these 148K roundtrip US-EU D1 awards looks to be for 12/14/2021 - 4/7/2022 on all routes.

FabCW likes this.
Old Dec 7, 21, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for alerting me to this sale! Unfortunately, I need a one way from PIT to BCN on or around July 12, and the one-stop D1 awards are still 320,000 miles. Ugh.
Old Dec 7, 21, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you so much for alerting me to this sale! Unfortunately, I need a one way from PIT to BCN on or around July 12, and the one-stop D1 awards are still 320,000 miles. Ugh.
The Flash Sales have always required roundtrip bookings. The low-level D1 awards used to be 80K each way and were available as one-way bookings (this is probably what you booked before). This changed about a year ago and low-level D1 US-EU awards are now 105K each way and require a roundtrip booking (you will never see these awards if you are doing one-way award searches). You can get 65K D1 one-way awards to the EU from the Caribbean and Mexico, but you will not having any luck finding anything near that ex-US (the lowest one-way awards for US-EU are now 120K partner business awards). There are one-way partner business awards for 120K on JFK-BCN on July 11th.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 7, 21 at 2:05 pm
Old Dec 7, 21, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
I posted this in the "Deals" thread, but just got email confirmation that this is a 48-hour D1 award flash sale (the first since Covid hit) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33792168-post5424.html
The email appears to have errors as availability for these 148K roundtrip US-EU D1 awards looks to be for 12/14/2021 - 4/7/2022 on all routes.

thank you for sharing!
I m still waiting for good deals on D1 cash tickets for June or August.

Search this Thread