Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Unable to cancel ticket purchased less than 24 hours ago

Unable to cancel ticket purchased less than 24 hours ago

Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This isn't really true. You're not checked in till you've answered the questions. Automatic checkin really just means automatically bringing you to checkin page when open app.
My experience was different and this turned out to be the problem. I did not check in (knowing I may cancel). When I opened the app to cancel though, the screen displayed my flight and the blue wheel just started spinning for a few minutes. I tapped the screen a couple times because it seemed like it was stuck. Closed the app and re-opened and at that point I was all checked in. No questions or acknowledgements for hazardous materials, etc..

At no point was I prompted to click any check-in button, answer any pop up dialogs, etc.. Perhaps a bug in their software or the pretty significant lag coupled with my random taps in an attempt to exit the app since it was stuck.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by clarrkkent
My experience was different and this turned out to be the problem. I did not check in (knowing I may cancel). When I opened the app to cancel though, the screen displayed my flight and the blue wheel just started spinning for a few minutes. I tapped the screen a couple times because it seemed like it was stuck. Closed the app and re-opened and at that point I was all checked in. No questions or acknowledgements for hazardous materials, etc..

At no point was I prompted to click any check-in button, answer any pop up dialogs, etc.. Perhaps a bug in their software or the pretty significant lag coupled with my random taps in an attempt to exit the app since it was stuck.
Must have acted like you had clicked ok due to hangup. Normally it brings you to the "Today" page and opens the dialogue box asking if you agree with CV19 related stuff, then next box is acknowledging hazardous material restrictions. If you click back or attempt to exit out it should give a box asking "Are you sure? You will not be checked in."

FWIW, if there's AF/KL segments in reservation you can cancel checkin by pulling up reservation in AF app. You can do it as long as you haven't checked bags.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta, United, Continental, US Airways
Yes, this happens to me on every flight that I've booked online and then wanted to change or cancel. I'm forced to call in to resolve the issue. It is a major inconvenience that the website and app are not allowing schedule changes and cancellations, not to mention the number of unnecessary calls clogging the phone lines and protracting wait times.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chings
Yes, this happens to me on every flight that I've booked online and then wanted to change or cancel. I'm forced to call in to resolve the issue. It is a major inconvenience that the website and app are not allowing schedule changes and cancellations, not to mention the number of unnecessary calls clogging the phone lines and protracting wait times.
OP was talking specifically about the 24-hour risk free cancellations. These can generally be done online without issue. Outside of that, the system will often have problems once you've had a schedule change or are using e-credits, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.