Wiki Posts
Search

GA refused to clear last FC seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta Platinum, ST Elite+
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jimg20
BTW, as I left the cabin at our destination, the pilot was standing in the cockpit door. I told him that I hoped that his brother enjoyed MY upgrade. I also told him that when he hears about it in the future, he should know that the "bullet" came from me.
It wasn't YOUR upgrade. If you'd wanted to sit in that cabin, you could have just purchased the ticket.
BTW, you sound like a nightmare customer.
Hepsaint and smc333 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by nrr
1C could have had "issues" [broken seat belt, no recline, saturated in urine, etc.]
I had a broken seat situation once and they rescinded my upgrade to accommodate broken seat F passenger to my seat. Having been #1 on upgrade seat, cleared, has its own heartbreak.

OP. Move on. There will be a brighter day in the future. Today was not your day, and it's not worth the fight. You likely still got the on-time arrival to your destination....and that's a good thing.

Jiburi
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jimg20
I had this problem in ATL on DL many years ago. I sat in my aisle coach sea (13B) in that RJ and could see the empty first class seat. Just before they closed the door, the FA came back toward me and stopped in front of 12B in front of me. She took that PX up to the FC seat. I called her back and challenged her. She asked how I know that I was first on the list for upgrades. I told her that they put my name on a big freaking TV screen in the boarding lounge. Finally, she admitted that the upgrade went to the pilot's brother.

I called DL as soon as I got home. The customer service agent was very interested to hear the story. A friend who was a pilot was very concerned that this happened. He said he knew of a pilot who did that. That one got suspended for six months.

BTW, as I left the cabin at our destination, the pilot was standing in the cockpit door. I told him that I hoped that his brother enjoyed MY upgrade. I also told him that when he hears about it in the future, he should know that the "bullet" came from me.
It was probably a really long flight too where FC is a necessity like ATL>CHA.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Sometimes a broken seat causes a downgrade or missed upgrade like on my AA flight a few weeks ago. This beautifully duct tapped seat left no question as to the functionality of the seat. Delta is often a little less obtuse about a broken seat and other than a small label, you wouldn't know the seat was broken and unavailable. BTW, this caused a 45 min delAAy to have this seat taken out of service :-)
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How can it take an airline employee 45 minutes to slap on some duct tape?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would hope that it is a case of 42 minutes to get the roll of "aviation" duck tape and three minutes to make it pretty
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
AA tends to struggle at just about everything, 45 min was quick for them... But in all fairness they probably tried to fix the seat first and brought out the duct tape when it was clear it wasn't fixable at the gate.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Not sure why, but the FC seat next to me on DL 395 this morning 10/12 was empty.
There were 2 ugs available according to the app and both cleared. I guess the person who was to be next to me was a no-show and the agent didn't choose to pull someone up.
He was having troubles as the door to the jetway was alarming throughout boarding so maybe just too many things to deal with.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by globalflight
I would hope that it is a case of 42 minutes to get the roll of "aviation" duck tape and three minutes to make it pretty
​​​​
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
AA tends to struggle at just about everything, 45 min was quick for them... But in all fairness they probably tried to fix the seat first and brought out the duct tape when it was clear it wasn't fixable at the gate.
more like 22 minutes to struggle with it, 10 minutes to get the right tape, 3 minutes to put the tape on, and 10 minutes to get all the paperwork in order (mechanic to document, QA to approve, etc) for the captain to sign
MSPeconomist and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
PVD to ATL - agent upgraded basic person to FC

My wife was traveling last week, number 1 on list for one seat, then she sees someone else upgraded on the standby list. Went up to the agent who said he did it right, which my wife knew was total BS, so she asked another agent to check to see what happen. The other agent, more senior went over and spoke with him and informed him to process upgrades first then do the standby list. Since he was doing standby’s and the only seat that was open was FC it sent that standby passenger to first(person didn’t have any status or FF number she said). Training (or lack of) is key to many of the issues.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K. MM/UA,SPG/gold
Originally Posted by keneshhagard
Never have had this experience before but I was #1 for 1 seat left in the Fly Delta app. I walked to the gate agent and asked to see if he’d clear it and said no it’s full. He cleared someone for all of those not on the upgrade list when going to the standby list.

I wrote in to Delta but for anyone else who this happened to - how would you handle it?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
I was on an itinerary last week where I was #1 on both the D1 (using GUC) and C+ upgrade lists, but was sitting in an exit row (row 20). I boarded and was keeping an eye on the D1 upgrade list, and noticed that I was upgraded to row 17 in C+. 17A and B were both empty. I was waiting for the GA to come on and give me my new boarding pass, but it never happened. I was actually content with staying in the exit row as there was more room (but of course couldn't take myself off the upgrade list at the time). Funny thing was that a middle seat person in 17 saw the seats empty and asked an FA if they could move (I was close enough to hear the request from the pax). FA said they had to wait until the end of boarding and if nobody sat there they could move. Since the GA never came on to move me (and I didn't really care), the seats remained opened and the middle seat person moved.

My seat was right next to the middle-plane FA jump seats, and little did they know I heard them discussing the issue when the door closed. They said that the GA said they didn't have time to come on the plane to deal with upgrades. Made me wonder if there was also a D1 seat open that they didn't have time to mess with, but just told myself to push those thoughts out of my mind... :-)
You could have checked the app to see what seats were available.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Jay00848
My wife was traveling last week, number 1 on list for one seat, then she sees someone else upgraded on the standby list. Went up to the agent who said he did it right, which my wife knew was total BS, so she asked another agent to check to see what happen. The other agent, more senior went over and spoke with him and informed him to process upgrades first then do the standby list. Since he was doing standby’s and the only seat that was open was FC it sent that standby passenger to first(person didn’t have any status or FF number she said). Training (or lack of) is key to many of the issues.
So what ended up happening?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by sethb
You could have checked the app to see what seats were available.
You can’t access the seat map anymore once boarding starts. All seats were “occupied” before boarding so my only hope was a no-show.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
You can’t access the seat map anymore once boarding starts. All seats were “occupied” before boarding so my only hope was a no-show.
This is new. I sometimes watch the seat map on the app after I've boarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.