Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We've all had delays - anyone ever have their flight moved to an earlier departure?

We've all had delays - anyone ever have their flight moved to an earlier departure?

Old Oct 7, 2021, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: $9 Fare Club

Weird experience last night. Was on an SEA-DTW service connecting to the last DCA departure. Layover of 50 mins as scheduled, lots of time for DTW. We were however delayed getting out of SEA so that cut the layover time down to about what was feasible. However I happened to be on the WiFi and noticed on the app (no email received) that they had moved our DCA flight up to 10.14pm from 10.29pm which now made the connection time ~15 mins and more or less unfeasible. They did hold the aircraft for us but of course our bags didn't make it so they're coming today. A thoroughly bizarre and rather stressful experience.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM
I’ve had a flight departure time moved up roughly 20 minutes, which I didn’t realize until I was on my way to the airport. To add insult to injury, I had misjudged my commute time, the SkyPriority bag drop line was hideously long and I was traveling by myself with a lap infant. Would have wished they gave me more notice of the change. At any rate, we made it to the gate while boarding was in process.

Nice they held the plane for you, but too bad for your bags.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
It happens. Reasons I've seen:
-Trying to get out before a storm
-Trying to make up for planned increase in flight time
-General trying to get the last flight out early so staff can go home
Hepsaint and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:27 am

The only times I've seen a flight moved up is by a few min like this for weather that's imminently moving in, or the crew will time out of they don't bump up the flight time...likely the crew was delayed somewhere else in their day, made up the time, but the clock is still ticking until they turn into a pumpkin. Which make some sense being the last flight of the evening for that route. Hard to find a replacement crew with such late notice so they bump up the time 20 min and then most people are happy (with a few that would be highly inconvenienced by leaving early) than flat out having to cancel it and everyone's spending the night in DTW!
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
ATL ATC request for very short haul- if the pilots can get out 10-15 minute earlier they can avoid the common mid-morning 20 minute hold at origin order.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
The only times I've seen a flight moved up is by a few min like this for weather that's imminently moving in, or the crew will time out of they don't bump up the flight time...likely the crew was delayed somewhere else in their day, made up the time, but the clock is still ticking until they turn into a pumpkin. Which make some sense being the last flight of the evening for that route. Hard to find a replacement crew with such late notice so they bump up the time 20 min and then most people are happy (with a few that would be highly inconvenienced by leaving early) than flat out having to cancel it and everyone's spending the night in DTW!
Yeah I would understand that but we didn't have any weather in DTW (or DCA) & that aircraft didn't look delayed on any segments. The FA said it was because we had to get to DCA before 12am, but I know that's untrue as I've been on scheduled service to DCA with a posted arrival time after 12am.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Yeah I would understand that but we didn't have any weather in DTW (or DCA) & that aircraft didn't look delayed on any segments. The FA said it was because we had to get to DCA before 12am, but I know that's untrue as I've been on scheduled service to DCA with a posted arrival time after 12am.
It might be an issue of arriving early enough for legally adequate crew rest for the flights they're scheduled to fly the next day.
jamiel, writerguyfl and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
I've seen the early status several times for flights departing from JFK. In my experience they never actually leave early though.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by BNAChairman
I've seen the early status several times for flights departing from JFK. In my experience they never actually leave early though.
Yeah, I've had two JFK flights now early and my SFO flight moved up 15 minutes early but we didn't board till even after the original board time.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
They may have had to get to DCA before 12am for crew rest reasons. Either so they wouldn't time out that night, or so they'd be able to make the turn tomorrow. And the crew in DCA likely came from a different aircraft that could had a delay somewhere in the day, or could have had to circle the their destination airport for a while so their timer was still going. Crew rotations are so mind bogglingly complicated the need to be 20 min earlier could have come from anywhere that day, or the day before, or even the next day. Like they were scheduled for a 10am flight, but they need a crew for the 9am flight and they can do it if they can get in just 20 min before they were supposed to.
becks1 and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I've only had it after a delay - meaning, flight supposed to take off at 10:30 delayed to 11:30, then moved back up to 11. Definitely a learning experience.... I didn't think that was possible once they gave a later time.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
They may have had to get to DCA before 12am for crew rest reasons. Either so they wouldn't time out that night, or so they'd be able to make the turn tomorrow. And the crew in DCA likely came from a different aircraft that could had a delay somewhere in the day, or could have had to circle the their destination airport for a while so their timer was still going. Crew rotations are so mind bogglingly complicated the need to be 20 min earlier could have come from anywhere that day, or the day before, or even the next day. Like they were scheduled for a 10am flight, but they need a crew for the 9am flight and they can do it if they can get in just 20 min before they were supposed to.
Ah yes, I see where you're coming from now.

Never had a posted departure time move earlier on the day of though, hence my confusion.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:51 pm

I have seen this a lot this year. Normally no more than 15 minutes. I asked a gate agent I know pretty well and he said he wasn’t always told but when he did know it was almost always weather or crew time. I don’t pretend to understand how crew time works but he told me that we had one FA that had been substituted in and by moving the flight up we were due to land while she was still legal as best I can recollect.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I cheAAted last week ... both flights were showing 15 min early on the airport monitors, but GAs had absolutely no urgency in boarding and we pushed pretty much on time ... methinks they might have been subtly encouraging less-than-savvy passengers to *please* get to the gate 20 minutes ahead rather than 5, so as not to actually push 15 min late
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:58 pm

I had a DL flight from SJU leave earlier than posted. We left the Avianca lounge at the “boarding starts” time, and they were already announcing final boarding call over the terminal loudspeaker. There wasn’t any weather that day, so no idea why it left so early.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.