Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage lost over 3 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Luggage lost over 3 weeks

Flew over 3 weeks ago back to the US from Europe and luggage didn't arrive. Reported it and was given a number, but when I track it on the lost luggage website I am getting an error message, telling me to contact the airline. When I call i am told they are still looking, but it doesn't sound as though they are looking too hard ie canned response.

Items in suitcase are worthless to most people, but important for me.

How can i make more progress here?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 2358
Flew over 3 weeks ago back to the US from Europe and luggage didn't arrive. Reported it and was given a number, but when I track it on the lost luggage website I am getting an error message, telling me to contact the airline. When I call i am told they are still looking, but it doesn't sound as though they are looking too hard ie canned response.

How can i make more progress here?
Ask for remuneration for lost luggage and move on. May not be the outcome you were seeking but would allow you to get closure.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
OP did not specify if flying on DL Metal or codeshare with other SkyTeam airline. Makes a big difference in who you are dealing with and what options are going forward.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:19 am

do you really think this? why would people go through the trouble of packing a bunch of "worthless" stuff into bags and then lug them to the airport?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
do you really think this? why would people go through the trouble of packing a bunch of "worthless" stuff into bags and then lug them to the airport?
The OP’s reference to worthless is in regards to “most people” excluding themselves. So worth it to the OP but not others.

I might have a few shirts in my luggage that I definitely like. To others, these could be considered as plain shirts. Sure, someone may still be interested in wearing these assuming they fit but wouldn’t necessarily consider these of much value beyond what a used shirt may fetch.
2358, VRFast and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

The items in the OP’s suitcase could be of sentimental value, which of course would be worthless to others while meaning the world to the OP.
2358 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Hepsaint
OP did not specify if flying on DL Metal or codeshare with other SkyTeam airline. Makes a big difference in who you are dealing with and what options are going forward.
i feared that might be the case. Booked with Delta, flew KLM, then Delta - but don’t know who lost it. KLM giving me the runaround, they have still not even located the bag.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
The items in the OP’s suitcase could be of sentimental value, which of course would be worthless to others while meaning the world to the OP.
sure, but OP is hardly the first person to ever have sentimental items in their luggage.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta, United
i feared that might be the case. Booked with Delta, flew KLM, then Delta - but don’t know who lost it. KLM giving me the runaround, they have still not even located the bag.
If the last flight was a Delta flight then contact Delta. As per the airline regulations, the last airline flown is the one left holding the bag, err responsible for finding the bag.
2358, VRFast and Admiral Ackbar like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:09 am

For what it's worth, and this was quite some years ago, the only way that I have ever recovered bags lost in travel from Europe is to call the airline baggage services line every day and ask them to track the last known location of the bag. If you are lucky, you will get someone who will investigate further. The last time my bag was recovered from a warehouse at LHR, awaiting to be transferred to the auction for lost bags.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
sure, but OP is hardly the first person to ever have sentimental items in their luggage.
OP meant that the items in OP's suitcase are valuable to him, but would be meaningless to other people. OP was not saying anything at all about what may or may not be in anyone else's suitcase.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
OP --

Have you asked DL if they received the luggage from KLM (i.e. was there a scan in the US)? The US airlines are generally very good at scanning the bags in their possession. That will give you an idea of whether you should bug KLM or DL or both. My limited experience with European airlines is that they don't seem to care as much about lost luggage.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by formeraa
OP --

Have you asked DL if they received the luggage from KLM (i.e. was there a scan in the US)? The US airlines are generally very good at scanning the bags in their possession. That will give you an idea of whether you should bug KLM or DL or both. My limited experience with European airlines is that they don't seem to care as much about lost luggage.
It doesn't matter if it was handed off or not. DL is the airline responsible for handling under airline rules. If OP some how filed a claim with KLM this can delay resolution. Even if doesn't show up in customs hall, you wait till after your final flight to file.

Per EU rules after 21 days bags are considered lost. DL must pay out claim even if finds them.
bitterproffit and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Geneva convention baggage limits would apply on an international itinerary and DL would be liable in this case.

However, it might help to know whether the itinerary was XXX-(KLM)-AMS-(DL)-USA or AMS-(KLM)-USA-(DL)-YYY. In the latter case, the bag should have appeared in customs upon USA arrival, and that would help to identify whether KLM or DL lost the bag.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by godfreyb
For what it's worth, and this was quite some years ago, the only way that I have ever recovered bags lost in travel from Europe is to call the airline baggage services line every day and ask them to track the last known location of the bag. If you are lucky, you will get someone who will investigate further. The last time my bag was recovered from a warehouse at LHR, awaiting to be transferred to the auction for lost bags.
honestly I find this kind of thing infuriating. Iberia lost my bag a couple of years ago- nothing overly valuable inside but it did add to up $1000USD quite quickly. And my perfectly worn in hiking boots were of course gone forever

the idea that identifiable bags head off to auction, where presumably most of the contents of a bag such as mine end up being tossed, is just maddening IMO
MSPeconomist, VRFast and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.