Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 12, 21, 5:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ryandc99
Wiki Link
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...er-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 12, 21, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You'll get one bag extra over your free allowance as a STE+ (based on PM status).

Awards require space be available by other airline to book. Airlines don't always make all seats available to partners.

Cash is always an option, but DL cant sell the ticket. You'll need to book with AZ.
thank you. I would be crediting the ticket to DL, I assume necessary to show my STE+ status. I did get conflicting info from Delta, they stated no allowances due to elite status, just one 23kg bag for flying economy classic.
Old Jul 12, 21, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jonesdds View Post
thank you. I would be crediting the ticket to DL, I assume necessary to show my STE+ status. I did get conflicting info from Delta, they stated no allowances due to elite status, just one 23kg bag for flying economy classic.
If allowance is 1 bag you get two, if zero you get 1. DL allows three bags on DL flights for STE+. Every other ST carrier I've been on follows the one extra bag over free allowance rule at minimum, up to max of three free bags even if allowance is three. Ie if you book their equivalent of BE which comes with zero allowance, you'll at least get one free bag, if one allowance then two, if two allowance then three, but no extra allowance if three is your allowance to start.
Old Jul 12, 21, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
If allowance is 1 bag you get two, if zero you get 1. DL allows three bags on DL flights for STE+. Every other ST carrier I've been on follows the one extra bag over free allowance rule at minimum, up to max of three free bags even if allowance is three. Ie if you book their equivalent of BE which comes with zero allowance, you'll at least get one free bag, if one allowance then two, if two allowance then three, but no extra allowance if three is your allowance to start.
ok understood. And this is 23kg I assume. We are gone three weeks so expect we will get close to 32 KG max, what Iím used to typically flying AA, BA as an EXP. Not loving Skyteam and partners. Three traveling, does my status increase them as well by one? Guess we can increase number of bags to keep under 23kg each if my benefit extended to them.
Old Jul 12, 21, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
ok understood. And this is 23kg I assume. We are gone three weeks so expect we will get close to 32 KG max, what Iím used to typically flying AA, BA as an EXP. Not loving Skyteam and partners. Three traveling, does my status increase them as well by one? Guess we can increase number of bags to keep under 23kg each if my benefit extended to them.
As long as on same reservation, yes they get increased allowance. Cant say on weight some give 32kg/70lbs some 23/50

I'm too tired un all three alliancalliances. DL/KL are far above AA/BA (especially BA) and AMS is the easiest airport to transit in Europe.
Old Jul 13, 21, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
Yes, you can use it for F to fly TCON. You just have to connect.
Sure, so I can turn an otherwise 6 hour BOS or JFK-LAX travel time into 8+ hours by putting a connection in there and increasing chance of a disruption? Whole point of these tcons is the convenience and shorter trip time vs connections.
Old Jul 13, 21, 10:05 pm

As long as on same reservation, yes they get increased allowance. Cant say on weight some give 32kg/70lbs some 23/50

I'm too tired un all three alliancalliances. DL/KL are far above AA/BA (especially BA) and AMS is the easiest airport to transit in Europe.
One last question. Showing a charge for seat assignments(not much $8.30/seat). I'd have thought my status would have made it free to choose a seat, it's award travel with Delta miles so the assumption is the status would be associated with the ticket. Maybe it's a reduced cost?
Old Jul 13, 21, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

One last question. Showing a charge for seat assignments(not much $8.30/seat). I'd have thought my status would have made it free to choose a seat, it's award travel with Delta miles so the assumption is the status would be associated with the ticket. Maybe it's a reduced cost?
What DL level are you? Also what type of seat are you trying to select?
Old Jul 14, 21, 9:01 am

What DL level are you? Also what type of seat are you trying to select?

plat so STE+. Seems to be an all economy seat arrangement, I donít see an extra leg room section but I was selecting row 3 so maybe whyÖ
Old Jul 14, 21, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

plat so STE+. Seems to be an all economy seat arrangement, I donít see an extra leg room section but I was selecting row 3 so maybe whyÖ
The first five rows on KLM 737 aircraft have extra leg room. This is because the "business " cabin size is adjustable from 1 row to 5 rows as needed . (Euro business is simply economy seats with middle seat blocked)

Just to make sure, you're not on Transavia are you?
Old Jul 14, 21, 10:39 am

The first five rows on KLM 737 aircraft have extra leg room. This is because the "business " cabin size is adjustable from 1 row to 5 rows as needed . (Euro business is simply economy seats with middle seat blocked)

Just to make sure, you're not on Transavia are you?
No Alitalia. Iím aware of how business class is but this route seems to operate all economy. fCO to CTA. Points ticket with Delta books into economy classic. Weirdly all middle seats row 12 back show blocked but maybe thatís purchased tickets, where they are put when no seat selection. No middle seats blocked in any rows forward of that so thatís why I presume no biz.
Old Jul 14, 21, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No Alitalia. Iím aware of how business class is but this route seems to operate all economy. fCO to CTA. Points ticket with Delta books into economy classic. Weirdly all middle seats row 12 back show blocked but maybe thatís purchased tickets, where they are put when no seat selection. No middle seats blocked in any rows forward of that so thatís why I presume no biz.
Sorry meant AZ, have KL on brain since I fly out of CPT tonight. I dont think AZ does biz on domestic flights. However when they do offer it, it's the same as I described for KL.

​Are you trying to pull up and doing seats on AZ.com? I know sometime DL.com tries to incorrectly charge on partners. Call AZ if nothing else.
Old Jul 14, 21, 4:10 pm

Sorry meant AZ, have KL on brain since I fly out of CPT tonight. I dont think AZ does biz on domestic flights. However when they do offer it, it's the same as I described for KL.

​Are you trying to pull up and doing seats on AZ.com? I know sometime DL.com tries to incorrectly charge on partners. Call AZ if nothing else.
Thank you. Doing it on AZ.com. I called Delta to just see if they could do it but as is typical they can't. Agent thought it should only be me that gets free assignments but that isn't working and that doesn't sound correct. I've always been able to reserve all three seats free of charge as a one world Emerald on BA for example. I guess I'll have to call, I'm having my doubts I'll get what I'm entitled to for baggage as well. Mine as well fly Ryanair at this point for a fraction of the cost.
Old Jul 26, 21, 7:33 pm

I'm looking at booking a VS award ticket using SkyMiles. The fare rules on Delta's website say it is "changeable/nonrefundable" -- does the nonrefundable rule mean I can't have my miles redeposited for free if I cancel?
Old Jul 26, 21, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LGB_WN View Post
I'm looking at booking a VS award ticket using SkyMiles. The fare rules on Delta's website say it is "changeable/nonrefundable" -- does the nonrefundable rule mean I can't have my miles redeposited for free if I cancel?
No. They always say that.
Old Sep 27, 21, 9:40 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

All

Due to a mistake I made - I have accidentally merged this thread with the AMEX Companion Fare thread.

I am in the process of un merging these manually - as best as I can - and they will be temporarily closed as I complete this action.

Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread