Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 12, 21, 5:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ryandc99
Wiki Link
Hello Everyone,
Due to a merging error - much of the history of this thread is sitting in the Amex Companion fare thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...er-thread.html

The moderation team is in the process of moving posts over to this thread, however it is a very manual process that requires reading every post in the two merged mega threads, so please bear with us as we piece this together.

Regards,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 16, 22, 6:09 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 795
1) If you book a ticket on KLM (via KLM) using your Delta FF #, do you get any miles on Delta?

2) are there any Delta affiliations that get you into KLM lounges between European flights (Medallion levels, Skyclub memberships, etc)? Flying economy or premium economy.
Goodoldflyer is online now  
Old Jun 16, 22, 7:48 am
  #167  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 15,676
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
1) If you book a ticket on KLM (via KLM) using your Delta FF #, do you get any miles on Delta?
Just to be clear, you posted this in the "Using SkyMiles" thread. So if you are talking about award tickets, only award tickets booked using SkyMiles and flown on DL-operated flights are eligible to earn MQMs/MQDs.

If you meant tickets purchased with cash (or eCredits etc.) then yes, you earn according to the chart found here:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

scroll down to KLM and click on the box that says "Mileage Earn on/after Jan. 1, 2018"

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
2) are there any Delta affiliations that get you into KLM lounges between European flights (Medallion levels, Skyclub memberships, etc)? Flying economy or premium economy.
In economy or premium economy, the only way to get into KLM (or AF) lounges via Delta affiliation is if you are Gold Medallion or higher (and you can also take one guest regardless of guest's status but they must also be on a SkyTeam flight, though it need not be the same as yours)
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Zorak is offline  
Old Jun 16, 22, 8:12 am
  #168  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Posts: 795
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Just to be clear, you posted this in the "Using SkyMiles" thread. So if you are talking about award tickets, only award tickets booked using SkyMiles and flown on DL-operated flights are eligible to earn MQMs/MQDs.

If you meant tickets purchased with cash (or eCredits etc.) then yes, you earn according to the chart found here:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

scroll down to KLM and click on the box that says "Mileage Earn on/after Jan. 1, 2018"



In economy or premium economy, the only way to get into KLM (or AF) lounges via Delta affiliation is if you are Gold Medallion or higher (and you can also take one guest regardless of guest's status but they must also be on a SkyTeam flight, though it need not be the same as yours)
Thanks for the response. Answered my question.

I was talking about tickets purchased with cash. More about earning skymiles than using them, I guess.
Goodoldflyer is online now  
Old Jun 20, 22, 3:11 pm
  #169  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 40
i was looking to book prem economy on Air France, but on the return they want me to fly back on Virgin Atlantic. I know in the past you could only earn miles if you booked virgin through virgin or with delta. I was just wondering if this was still the case
drakethecake is offline  
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:00 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL Gold, BA Silver
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
KE release very few seats to partners for award bookings, especially on long haul flights.. (DL does the same)
And even when they appear to have released one (next Jan in my case), you might find yourself getting to the payment button and getting the "sold out" message - even though the seat is still shown on a subsequent search.
Gerbs is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:53 am
  #171  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by drakethecake View Post
i was looking to book prem economy on Air France, but on the return they want me to fly back on Virgin Atlantic. I know in the past you could only earn miles if you booked virgin through virgin or with delta. I was just wondering if this was still the case
This thread is for using miles, but to answer your question, no you won't earn on VS metal unless VS/DL coded. AF/KL coded, VS operated (and vv) earn zero.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:05 pm
  #172  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 9,758
LATAM Domestic Brazil

I need 2 tkts from Rio to Sao Paolo on Jan 9th. Revenue is over $250USD for this 45 min hop so I'd like to redeem miles. The agent I spoke to said this route does not offer redemption and that there are no "delta marketed flights". I don't have a lot of experience with DL awards but in other airlines partner awards are not booked onto DL marketed flights but onto the partner code. Anyone know if its possible to book such awards and if there is a trick to them. Also, any idea of miles costs? Appreciate any help......
Altaflyer is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:24 pm
  #173  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WAS
Programs: Lotz
Posts: 1,496
this is odd:

Today I was checking 1-way DC to Prague or Vienna on Delta rewards and several days in July 40K + $12 economy popped up on KLM and Air France metal. The flights are only available in economy and all the Delta metal flights were sky high. Delta/Virgin/Flying Blue are trying to coordinate awards in a very weird way.
tassojunior is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:40 pm
  #174  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,949
Originally Posted by tassojunior View Post
this is odd:

Today I was checking 1-way DC to Prague or Vienna on Delta rewards and several days in July 40K + $12 economy popped up on KLM and Air France metal. The flights are only available in economy and all the Delta metal flights were sky high. Delta/Virgin/Flying Blue are trying to coordinate awards in a very weird way.
Unlike revenue fares, there's no real coordination on award pricing. DL now requires a roundtrip award booking for lowest Skymiles award levels on it's metal for most international routes (and thus they will price out at cheaper amounts than combining two one-way awards). While Skymiles awards on partner metal are all still one-way awards. So you will generally only see fairly high award levels on DL metal when searching for one-way awards on international routes (especially during popular seasons). Note that a one-way award on return from EU will get hit with carrier surcharges, while roundtrip awards ex-US do not. While Skymiles redemptions on partner metal can be a good deal compared to DL metal awards, they can also be stingy on releasing seats to Delta for Skymiles redemptions during popular times and may require quite a bit of flexibility.

Most partner metal awards now have 3 mileage levels with different advance purchase requirements (even though they all book into the same class/inventory bucket - they have different fare basis codes). For US-EU coach awards, the cheapest have a 60-day advance purchase requirement and are 35K miles. With a 21-day advance purchase (the award level you are looking at), they are 40K miles. With less than 21-day advance purchase, they are 55K miles. The advance purchase requirements are found at the "Fare Rules" link when you select an award.

Note that DL can have cheaper seasonal coach awards on it's metal in the off-season and shoulder seasons. When meeting the roundtrip booking requirement for these, they can be cheaper than the lowest 35K each-way level on partner metal (which are the same level all year round). For example, JFK-LHR on DL metal can be booked for 23K miles each way (46K total) when booked as a roundtrip in October. I booked DTW-MUC Premium Select awards for travel in May for 68K miles roundtrip (and used GUCs to upgrade to D1).

tassojunior likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 24, 22 at 8:12 am
xliioper is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 2:57 pm
  #175  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
I need 2 tkts from Rio to Sao Paolo on Jan 9th. Revenue is over $250USD for this 45 min hop so I'd like to redeem miles. The agent I spoke to said this route does not offer redemption and that there are no "delta marketed flights". I don't have a lot of experience with DL awards but in other airlines partner awards are not booked onto DL marketed flights but onto the partner code. Anyone know if its possible to book such awards and if there is a trick to them. Also, any idea of miles costs? Appreciate any help......
Search on delta.com. LATAM can be booked online. Agents still haven't started training in most cases. All they've been given is some quick info to get them on the phone.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:28 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 9,758
Thanks for the comment but the domestic Brazil route I am looking at seems to never have any availability on line. I guess I have to try calling again until I get someone competent.
Altaflyer is offline  
Old Jun 25, 22, 7:38 pm
  #177  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
Thanks for the comment but the domestic Brazil route I am looking at seems to never have any availability on line. I guess I have to try calling again until I get someone competent.
If it's not available online, an agent won't be able to sell it either. Same availability either way.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 26, 22, 5:50 am
  #178  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 9,758
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
If it's not available online, an agent won't be able to sell it either. Same availability either way.
ok, that’s helpful. Thank you! The agents seem really poorly trained on award travel compared to my usual stomping grounds at Air Canada….
Altaflyer is offline  
Old Jun 26, 22, 7:06 am
  #179  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 23,398
Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
ok, that’s helpful. Thank you! The agents seem really poorly trained on award travel compared to my usual stomping grounds at Air Canada….
Most are brand new. Also unlike AC, DL itself owns/handles Skymiles program.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jun 26, 22, 6:29 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 9,758
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Most are brand new. Also unlike AC, DL itself owns/handles Skymiles program.
Actually AC’s program is back in house now.
Altaflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread