Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex IAP Bookings on Delta Air Lines - Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex IAP Bookings on Delta Air Lines - Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Amex Plat IAP tickets - base earning or exception fares?

I'm thinking about jumping over to DL to use the Amex Plat International Airline Program ($600 less than AA per person, two of us). I think they get ticketed as normal DL tickets, but wanted to confirm.

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:28 am

The AMEX IAP program just changed.

It used to be 2-for-1, with the main ticket earning miles and the second ticket supposedly not earning miles. Although some have claimed different experiences (i.e., both receiving miles). [Indeed, I just flew on another airline on the program and both passengers received miles].

But now the program has changed -- it's not 2 for 1, but rather discounted fares. So don't know how that affects the mileage earning.

[Sorry -- a long answer with the upshot of not being able to contribute anything substantively].
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:54 pm

There's more discussion here, but there aren't any concrete data points yet on mileage earnings

ETA: and some discussion about booking AA with AMEX
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Earning DL MQDs on an AF ticket bought via Amex IAP

I’ve looked in multiple forums and have not been able to find a definitive answer. I plan on buying AF business class tickets, AF operated and coded. Previously I’ve had DL issue the tickets…in my experience it was less painful to get the accurate MQDs, MQMs credited to my account. However, I’ve never bought tickets via Amex’s IAP. If I buy AF business class tickets via IAP, will the correct full MQDs get credited (40% of flight distance, as long as not O class)? I expect the tickets to be $8k - $10k so the savings could be meaningful. I wasn’t sure if buying via IAP could affect the mileage calculations.

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Jul 21, 2021 at 3:06 pm
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Where you buy tickets hasn't mattered in couple of years for partner marketed flights. For DL marketed it can cause issues if they're selling a BULK fare. Regardless for partner marketed its actually very straightforward and easy.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I’ve looked in multiple forums and have not been able to find a definitive answer. I plan on buying AF business class tickets, AF operated and coded. Previously I’ve had DL issue the tickets…in my experience it was less painful to get the accurate MQDs, MQMs credited to my account. However, I’ve never bought tickets via Amex’s IAP. If I buy AF business class tickets via IAP, will the correct full MQDs get credited (40% of flight distance, as long as not O class)? I expect the tickets to be $8k - $10k so the savings could be meaningful. I wasn’t sure if buying via IAP could affect the mileage calculations.
Don't you lose a lot of MQDs this way? If earned based on distance, 40% of 7,000 miles would be $2800 but you're paying over $8000 for the ticket. Buying a RT using all DL flights for the same price would give at least enough MQDs for PM and possibly for DM from just this trip alone thanks to the accelerator.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where you buy tickets hasn't mattered in couple of years for partner marketed flights. For DL marketed it can cause issues if they're selling a BULK fare. Regardless for partner marketed its actually very straightforward and easy.
Thanks for the info. What might be different is that Amex’s IAP provides a discount off the published fare. Have you purchased a ticket via IAP as I’ve described and gotten the full MQDs/MQMs etc?
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't you lose a lot of MQDs this way? If earned based on distance, 40% of 7,000 miles would be $2800 but you're paying over $8000 for the ticket. Buying a RT using all DL flights for the same price would give at least enough MQDs for PM and possibly for DM from just this trip alone thanks to the accelerator.
The total distance is much further than 7000 miles. And not only does Delta metal not serve my destination, they don’t even put their code on the the AF flight
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:43 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The total distance is much further than 7000 miles. And not only does Delta metal not serve my destination, they don’t even put their code on the the AF flight
The circumference of the Earth is nearly 25,000 miles x 0.40 = 10,000
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by nrr
The circumference of the Earth is nearly 25,000 miles x 0.40 = 10,000
Round Trip, but it is on the other side of the planet from where I’ll be traveling
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OK. I had been guessing that it was a JFK-CDG RT.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OK. I had been guessing that it was a JFK-CDG RT.
sounds like the Maldives to me, as every place in SE Asia is closed to Americans.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thanks for the info. What might be different is that Amex’s IAP provides a discount off the published fare. Have you purchased a ticket via IAP as I’ve described and gotten the full MQDs/MQMs etc?
Yes.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It doesn't matter. Partner marketed are strictly based off distance. DL doesn't knows how to break down costs for partner marketed flights.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks for the info. What might be different is that Amex’s IAP provides a discount off the published fare.
That doesn't matter at all for a partner-issued ticket. As others have stated, the accrual is based on the mileage, not the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.