Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Departure

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Early Departure

This is not a complaint...just a question.
Seems recently that, day of departure, flights are posted as leaving 10-15 minutes ahead of scheduled departure time.
Is this to be expected? For what reason(s)? How early can they (legitimately) depart?
Appreciate any answers, and apologies if this has been posted previously,
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by deltalirious
Seems recently that, day of departure, flights are posted as leaving 10-15 minutes ahead of scheduled departure time.
Is this to be expected? For what reason(s)? How early can they (legitimately) depart?
Domestic, 15 minutes. International. 30 minuets.

There are plenty of valid reasons that they might want to leave early.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Mostly they have all the passengers on board that they are going to have on board.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
My recent experience has been the flight departure times have been adjusted from 1-2 hours prior to boarding.
For me, that's usually while I'm in the Club availing myself of cheap red wine.
So really not a problem, but certainly could be on tight connections and/or late arriving originating flights before an onward connection.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I've never understood why they bother to do this, since it never really seems to correlate with when they end up closing the door & pushing back from the gate anyway.

Any time I've had a flight post an "early" departure time, it still ends up leaving the gate only about 2-3 mins early, at most.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, I noticed this regularly at AMS for DL TATL departures. It can cause real panic. When I asked, an airport agent told me that they do this to *encourage* passengers to rush to the gate. NOT GOOD.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the past, I noticed this regularly at AMS for DL TATL departures. It can cause real panic. When I asked, an airport agent told me that they do this to *encourage* passengers to rush to the gate. NOT GOOD.
My last DL TPAC flight through ICN in October 2019 I had the same experience. I made a mad rush through T2 only to find out it was just “encouragement”’as well.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deltalirious

Happens a TON at smaller airports - at least IME (During covid when it was 3-4 people on the plane - I think I left 27 min early once (30 min window to stop check ins - all ticketed passengers on board and we were trying to outrun a storm)
Plane has XX passengers booked
All ticketed passengers board plane
Any standby's processed and boarded
close out flight and shut door
If that is 15 min early, so be it
No reason to sit there with door open for 15 min when every passenger is on board, baggage is loaded and fuel is on board - if we can takeoff and get there early why not?
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 7:23 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When I flew AA the first flight of the day from JFK to LAX had “unpublished” early boarding. I left the lounge at T-45 and enroute I heard my name being paged on the airport PA “…proceed to your gate for boarding”, when I got to the gate all pax already at the gate were boarded, the door was shut at T-20, BUT pushback didn’t occur until T-0.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Hf we can takeoff and get there early why not?
Because you may get "there" (like ATL) and your gate is not yet available because you're too early.

David
arunhn likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Because you may get "there" (like ATL) and your gate is not yet available because you're too early.

David
Ok, but in that case you haven't lost anything, you've just shifted the waiting from the beginning of the trip at the origin airport to the end of the trip at the destination airport.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:55 am

I have had a lot of early departures a lot pre-covid and now. Primary reason was a lightly loaded flight so they might as well get the flight going rather than sit around and twiddle thumbs. Sometimes they are trying to get ahead of weather. The weirdest one was I was flying out of PDX on the night that the AS mechanic stole the a/c and was doing loop-de-loops around Puget Sound - they wanted to get the flight out early because they need the gate space because so many flights had to divert to PDX from SEA.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DiverDave
with DL’s padded schedules, that can happen even when the door closes at T-0 and the jet is number 14 in the conga line on the taxiway for departure
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
For Southeastern short haul, once or twice there’s been the explanation that if we load quick and get out to the runway a few minutes early, we might be able to avoid the common 10-15 minute ‘hold at origin’ order from ATL ATC
Old Sep 18, 2021, 11:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I’ve had many flights departing early, usually, not an issue, but when flying to JFK and arriving the NY area early, sometimes we end up arriving to the gate on time or even delayed, after being sequenced and spending some time waiting for a landing slot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.