Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do RUC/GUC put you in First/D1, or just one class up?

Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM

Apologies for such a simple question, but about 30 minutes of looking at Delta's site and searching here (search interface...woof) couldn't yield a clear answer, so if someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it...

On a flight with Main / Comfort + / Premium Select / Delta One available, would using a GUC bump me from, for example, Main Cabin to D1, or does it only push you up one class, meaning I would have to purchase a Premium Select ticket in order to use the GUC to get to D1?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
If there is space available in D1 then it just takes one certificate. You can also wait list for D1 with just one certificate. The only time you would use two certificates is if you upgrade to PS and then choose to waitlist for D1.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Deleted.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much for the quick reply
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Paplover
One GUC pushed you to Premium Select, a second pushes you to D1. If you purchase Premium Select, you only need one to get to D1.
One GUC can also send you from coach to D1 if D1 upgrade inventory is available when you apply the GUC.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already answered.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skystreak
If there is space available in D1 then it just takes one certificate. You can also wait list for D1 with just one certificate. The only time you would use two certificates is if you upgrade to PS and then choose to waitlist for D1.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
It would only take one certificate if there was space available in D1 AND I paid for Premium Select, correct? Is it impossible to go from Main Cabin to D1 on only 1 GUC?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanktronic
It would only take one certificate if there was space available in D1 AND I paid for Premium Select, correct? Is it impossible to go from Main Cabin to D1 on only 1 GUC?
You can go directly from main cabin to D1 if there is upgrade inventory open for D1. You can also waitlist to go to D1 from main cabin if there is no upgrade inventory open. If you instead choose to use a cert to upgrade from main cabin to Premium Select, it will require another cert to go to D1. Note that upgrade inventory is limited in each cabin (you can't apply an upgrade cert simply because a seat is open). They may release some upgrade inventory at a later point if none is available, or it may never open.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 6, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tanktronic
NO, as we've been saying here, you can use ONE GUC to go from coach (but not BE) to D1 if D1 upgrade inventory is available.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I’ve been monitoring n/s between JFK and ZRH, for several dates “upgrades from main to PS via GUCs are available now”. I want to go from main to D1, when I call DL to waitlist to use a GUC to jump directly from main to D1 will I run into problems (especially with the significant number of new phone agents DL has hired?)
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nrr
I’ve been monitoring n/s between JFK and ZRH, for several dates “upgrades from main to PS via GUCs are available now”. I want to go from main to D1, when I call DL to waitlist to use a GUC to jump directly from main to D1 will I run into problems (especially with the significant number of new phone agents DL has hired?)
You shouldn't. Just make sure the agent doesn't try and upgrade you to PS saying an upgrade is available. If they say it is male sure they say Delta 1.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.