Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revenue split between KL/AF and DL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Revenue split between KL/AF and DL

Do DL/KL/AF split all revenue/profits in half on flights to/from the US?

If not, how do they decide how to split?

I typically purchase my flights via KL or AF, with KL/AF codes, with both European and TATL legs operated by either KL/AF, and a US flight on DL (with KL/AF codes).

In those instances, would Delta receive smaller share, or does it really not matter who’s marketing or operating, because they share everything equally?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK the JV is supposed to be revenue neutral for the TATL flights. However, they would also need to allocate revenue between the domestic, TATL, and intraEU (etc.) segments. I don't know whether fare and carrier imposed fees would be treated differently for this purpose. Taxes, security and customs.fees, and airport facility fees would go to the government that imposed them.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that the DL/VS JV is separate from DL/KL/AF JV agreement and covers US-UK flights.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I’m curious how this applies to F since DL/KL don’t operate F.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that the DL/VS JV is separate from DL/KL/AF JV agreement and covers US-UK flights.
No, DL, AF-KL and VS have created a single, new JV among the four of them effective February 2020; they have integrated the DL-VS UK part into the overall TATL JV:

Air France, KLM, Delta and Virgin Atlantic launch world’s leading partnership | Delta News Hub
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:29 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
The exact details of these joint business agreements are trade secrets. Generally, the airlines split revenue according to how many seats each airline puts into the covered market.

It's theorized that the marketing airline for each flight gets a commission for bringing the business in. If you take a short haul connecting flight (e.g. ATL-BOS connecting to BOS-AMS), the short haul airline is paid a less than industry average rate for that flight because of the joint business revenue split.

The two transatlantic joint businesses that Delta participates in (DL/AF/KL and DL/VS) were merged last year -- Alitalia was kicked out in the process, which might have been a good choice.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:38 pm

In general, the money first goes to the ticket prefix carrier (006 or 057 or 074) , then the actual revenue goes to the operating carrier once pax actually flown the flight. The whole ticket price is divided by segments proportionally to individual operating carrier.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by caoimhinhk
In general, the money first goes to the ticket prefix carrier (006 or 057 or 074) , then the actual revenue goes to the operating carrier once pax actually flown the flight. The whole ticket price is divided by segments proportionally to individual operating carrier.
This is how works outside a JV. In JV carriers split rev/exp regardless of operating carrier.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:26 am
Original Poster

How do the airlines work out the differences then?

Some passengers may choose one airline over another to purchase and fly flights, and they do it with full intention.

For instance, they may choose AF (AF codes and operated flights) over KL or DL, because of wine and service. Others, may choose DL because of loyalty to them.

Is there no way these passengers can reward the airline of choice? Or, upon purchasing flights, they reward the whole group?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Or, upon purchasing flights, they reward the whole group?
Yes, thats the "Joint" part of the venture. For the JV TATL flights that is one company.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by cmd320
I’m curious how this applies to F since DL/KL don’t operate F.
If I was sketching out the JV details on a napkin, I’d exclude F entirely from the JV and treat any onward DL metal flights in the US as standard non-JV codeshares.

EDIT: Also any DL TATL connecting onto F at CDG, but then maybe that starts overly complicating things?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispy84
If I was sketching out the JV details on a napkin, I’d exclude F entirely from the JV and treat any onward DL metal flights in the US as standard non-JV codeshares.

EDIT: Also any DL TATL connecting onto F at CDG, but then maybe that starts overly complicating things?
Poster was referring to the fact that AF still has F cabins on some long-haul equipment. I doubt these fares are significant enough to be treated separately. The vast majority of TATL tickets have a single fare component in each direction and the domestic US legs and intra-Europe legs are not broken out separately in terms of price. I very much doubt they get into the details of trying to price/cost out the individual legs involved in an international trip.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by xliioper
Poster was referring to the fact that AF still has F cabins on some long-haul equipment. I doubt these fares are significant enough to be treated separately. The vast majority of TATL tickets have a single fare component in each direction and the domestic US legs and intra-Europe legs are not broken out separately in terms of price. I very much doubt they get into the details of trying to price/cost out the individual legs involved in an international trip.
I’m aware of La Première, and agree the number of P/F seats TATL is low, however I don’t agree that AF would necessarily just wave the distinction and fold the fares into the wider JV. Happy to be proven wrong.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:41 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Don't forget that the point of these JVs is also to reduce competition across the Atlantic, which is roughly down to three main competitors. Squabbling over revenue for a shorthaul connection should be inconsequential relative to the overall increase in airfares due to lack of alternatives.
VFR and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TBD
Don't forget that the point of these JVs is also to reduce competition across the Atlantic, which is roughly down to three main competitors. Squabbling over revenue for a shorthaul connection should be inconsequential relative to the overall increase in airfares due to lack of alternatives.
not to be critical, but how is that good for the consumer? If there’s no competition, there’s no incentive for airlines to provide better service, and for consumers to reward airlines based on service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.