Wiki Posts
Search

Basic economy luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Basic economy luggage

I tried to do a quick search but did not see a current answer. Never considered Basic Economy fare before but with tickets at $500 for Dec. travel I am taking a look. I have the basic AMEX card which gives one checked bag for free. Does that still hold if the ticket is Basic Economy?
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Audie
I tried to do a quick search but did not see a current answer. Never considered Basic Economy fare before but with tickets at $500 for Dec. travel I am taking a look. I have the basic AMEX card which gives one checked bag for free. Does that still hold if the ticket is Basic Economy?
yes I believe it does.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:03 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Yep. There is no reason to purchase a Main Cabin ticket until after December. Free changes are allowed until then. The only thing you're missing is the ability to choose your seat.

Never been stuck in a middle with BE. I just change it as soon as I check in online, or I ask the gate agent.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I can't seem to find an explicit reference on the DL or Amex web sites, but on searching

Delta Amex "First Checked Bag Free" Consolidated Thread

and

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

signs point to yes, that the first bag is still free.

Also per the Delta policy website linked to in the wiki of the latter thread, you still theoretically get the "priority" boarding benefit as well (I say "theoretically" because I'm not sure if they are still boarding main cabin row by row starting from the back)
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Unlike other airlines, there are no bag implications for Delta Basic economy. You get the same number of free checked backs as you would with a Main Cabin fare. Medallion/credit card free bags are still free.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:27 am

Bag allowance with Amex is independent of class of ticket you purchase.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 3:37 pm

Does the "basic" (blue) AMEX SkyMiles card now give a free bag. I thought it had to be Gold or higher.

Last edited by OHDL1; Aug 29, 2021 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 29, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Does the "basic" (blue) AMEX SkyMiles card now give a free bag. I thought it had to be Gold or higher.
You are correct, the Delta Blue does not include a free checked bag.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:04 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Unlike other airlines, there are no bag implications for Delta Basic economy. You get the same number of free checked backs as you would with a Main Cabin fare. Medallion/credit card free bags are still free.
There are for transatlantic -- Basic Economy pays $75 for the first bag, whereas it is free for Main Cabin.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
The only thing you're missing is the ability to choose your seat.
For some of us, that's the most important thing., Would never buy a BE ticket for myself.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Basic Economy seats

If BE seats are listed as sold out for a flight today does that mean there will not be some available at a later date? I am looking to purchase a ticket in Dec. and today it shows only one flight left on the date that has seats in BE. Might more open up if a wait a few days/weeks?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BE fares only seem to go as high as U class these days (and I'm seeing on some routes, they only go up to T). I'm guessing you are looking at a higher demand date and there is no U/T/X/V bucket availability on the flights which means there are no BE fares available for sale even though there is likely E bucket open. This is because there are simply no BE fare filings for L and higher fare classes and thus there are only main cabin fares available for purchase. Whether or not U/T/X/V bucket inventory will open up on more flights at some point (providing access to BE fares) is likely dependent on how much demand DL sees for the date/route you are looking at.

I'm afraid "December" doesn't really give us much to go on. Generally, there's not much demand for flights in early to mid December, but then holiday demands starts to really pick up around the 16th or 17th of December. After that, Christmas day tends to be about the only day you will find limited travel demand.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 30, 2021 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If BE seats are listed as sold out for a flight today does that mean there will not be some available at a later date? I am looking to purchase a ticket in Dec. and today it shows only one flight left on the date that has seats in BE. Might more open up if a wait a few days/weeks?
Yes, more inventory that permits Basic Economy bookings may open up in the future. It also might not. Inventory is always a gamble.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:05 am

If you are worried about buying BE but not getting a seat rest assured a lot of seats are held back and not shown in the seatmap. If you have a confirmed seat on a flight you will get a seat as they would have to offer compensation to someone before denying you. These days with no change fees you can always buy MC today and then downgrade to BE later if space opens up.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by pfreet
For some of us, that's the most important thing., Would never buy a BE ticket for myself.
To each his own. For my family of 5 that travels frequently on flights less than 1.5 hours we save a lot on 10 one-way tickets every time we travel. And we always get decent seats together. And these days they are fully cancellable/changeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.