Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Suites Door not Closing - A Fair Solution?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Suites Door not Closing - A Fair Solution?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by bcranger
Curious what people think - recently booked a trip from JFK to AMS solely to experience the D1 Suites but my seat ended up having the suite door stuck so in effect it wasn't a suite! The attendant nicely tried but couldn't get the door working. The trip was still enjoyable and the hot food excellent, but I think it defeated the whole purpose and excitement of the trip, silly as it may sound. The entire cabin was filled and no seats to switch to. What do you all think for a fair compensation, if any?
Curious...if FA offered you to sit back in coach and refund premium paid for D1, would you have done that or stayed in the doorless seat?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cakiwi
Curious...if FA offered you to sit back in coach and refund premium paid for D1, would you have done that or stayed in the doorless seat?
For me that would depend heavily on a few factors:

1) how full is the flight?
2) did I pay for the D1 seat or did someone else?
3) is it being refunded in $$ or Delta Dollars?

If it’s an empty flight and I could lay down across three seats in the back I’d consider it. If the fare difference was a few thousand dollars that someone else paid, I’d take the downgrade cash in a heartbeat. JFK-AMS is short and D1 really isn’t exciting by any means, not like we’re talking SQ or EK F.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
A child or an elderly adult or someone who has mobility issues would have a much more difficult time with either trying to just smash the door or climbing over it.
This. But if I have to pee that door is history.

But I am serious. If this is happening the DOT needs to hear about it.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Haha thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting quite this level of entertainment! And yes, I paid and took the trip solely for the Suites, I have been to nearly every country in Europe (and more than once) so I certainly am not in AMS to be a tourist!
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by bcranger
Curious what people think - recently booked a trip ... to experience the D1 Suites but my seat ended up having the suite door stuck so in effect it wasn't a suite! The attendant nicely tried but couldn't get the door working. ... What do you all think for a fair compensation, if any?
had a similar situation last week (SEA-JFK A339 redeye); it didn't really affect anything, and I didn't ask for FA assistance, but my overall opinion of the suite is that it's definitely ordinary (the entire story starts here)

in thinking about this, however, the FA wouldn't have been able to reach across to close the window shade had the door been closed, so maybe it's worth writing in
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta
Goodness! Some of the more 'prolific' posters could learn to be a bit more polite and less condescending when presented with views contrary to theirs.
obscure2k, SamOF, lamphs and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
A child or an elderly adult or someone who has mobility issues would have a much more difficult time with either trying to just smash the door or climbing over it.
True. Though I’m sure there would be someone on board who could take care of this, one way or another.

Keep in mind this isn’t going to be a split second emergency situation. The doors have to be open for takeoff and landing so if it were to jam closed it would be inflight with some time to figure it out.

I’m not arguing this isn’t a problem, only that if it should happen there’s no need to be too worried as I’m sure the individual trapped in the suite would be able to be extracted before landing.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:09 am

What if they offered the option of sitting on the floor in the galley and holding the door? Would that be OK?
El Boocho likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:42 am

There must be some sort of an Emergency Door Release Lever that you can engage and close it manually just like a Garage Door! Next time see if the Cabin Service Manager can disengage the electric portion of it and use something to hold it shut! Or you could unplug the electronics and reset it. Another option is to test this while still at the gate and see what can be done.

Last edited by danielonn; Aug 24, 2021 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had the opposite problem of a D1 suite door closing but I wasn't able to open it. Scary. Now I never close the door fully and I'm not happy if a FA closes it when I'm not looking.
There must be an Emergency Door Release lever that you can engage much like on a Garage Door to open and close the door in an emergency. At European Airports there is this Green Box with a button you press and it disengages the electronic function of the door in an Emergency known as an Emergency Door Release. If there is no Emergency Door Release then its a violation of the FAA! This is the reason why we have the Liftmaster Garage Door Opener with a Battery Backup! What if the plane looses power? The CSM and FA's needs to be trained on how to open the door if the power motor fails and its locked shut.

I remember on a DC10 we just arrived at the gate from Hawaii and the power operated door failed and the CSM had to manually open it. It took some strength but it did work and it took 15 minutes to try to reset it but it failed.

I think they can redesign this so the Passenger has the Option to Disengage the Door in an Emergency with a Red box and cover you lift and then twist the handle to the right to disengage it like on a bus or train and one for the Flight Attendant too on the outside). Its very simple to design and the FA could go over this with the Passenger. So if the motor failed you could still close it by engaging the Emergency Lever and then when its closed you would twist the lever to keep it locked manually.

Last edited by danielonn; Aug 24, 2021 at 12:04 pm
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kale73
While bcranger alerted us to an inconvenience I find the situation MSPeconomist experienced far more alarming. If that happened to me I’d seriously consider a DOT report given that an unopenable door poses a clear safety issue. I know they are supposed to be open for taxi, takeoff and landing but suppose the door gets stuck in the closed position mid-flight and all the king’s horses and all the king’s men can’t get it open prior to landing? Not to mention the inability to take care of certain bodily functions in a timely manner.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Not sure about the king’s horses or the king’s men, however I’m pretty confident that if it really came down to it I could pretty easily smash the door out of the way and get out. Those things are just flimsy plastic. Worst case scenario you could stand on the seat and just jump over it.
These door all have emergency latches in case they become stuck. For the A339 the top 3/4 of door collapses down. For the A350 I believe it causes 3/4 of door to push out. (The recessed line on the door is where it "breaks" into two pieces in emergency)
Fly_Delta_Jets and CalebMCO like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by flyerCO
These door all have emergency latches in case they become stuck. For the A339 the top 3/4 of door collapses down. For the A350 I believe it causes 3/4 of door to push out. (The recessed line on the door is where it "breaks" into two pieces in emergency)
This is correct. It takes about 2 seconds to do. Happened to me when my door got stuck.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CalebMCO
This is correct. It takes about 2 seconds to do. Happened to me when my door got stuck.
I see people all the time new to suites use emergency latch instead of normal.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I wonder if there is a similar emergency latch in the lavatory? I was on a flight recently where one of the lavs was INOP because according to the FA the door was stuck and said while you can go in it, they “might not be able to get you out.” I’ve been in some lavs where the doors are a huge pain to shut so this doesn’t surprise me.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kale73
While bcranger alerted us to an inconvenience I find the situation MSPeconomist experienced far more alarming. If that happened to me I’d seriously consider a DOT report given that an unopenable door poses a clear safety issue. I know they are supposed to be open for taxi, takeoff and landing but suppose the door gets stuck in the closed position mid-flight and all the king’s horses and all the king’s men can’t get it open prior to landing? Not to mention the inability to take care of certain bodily functions in a timely manner.
I would probably just climb over it and not worry too much about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.