Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy waiver for SkyMiles Award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport

Are SkyMiles award tickets covered by the basic economy change and cancellation waiver that’s in place until the end of the year? I tried canceling a ticket to visit family after they had a medical issue come up, but the app tells me I can’t do it because it’s nonrefundable.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jsnearline
Are SkyMiles award tickets covered by the basic economy change and cancellation waiver that’s in place until the end of the year? I tried canceling a ticket to visit family after they had a medical issue come up, but the app tells me I can’t do it because it’s nonrefundable.
There is change waiver, not cancellation. However multiple users have reported getting a refund by calling in.
jsnearline likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I will try calling them (when there’s not a three hour wait).

Last edited by jsnearline; Aug 21, 2021 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

This is what made me think I might be able to cancel:

”Canceling your trip:

“You may cancel your trip and receive an eCredit for the value of your unused ticket.
  • Your eCredit must be rebooked on or before December 31, 2022
  • To cancel your flight, visit My Trips on delta.com and click on "Modify Flight" then choose "Start Flight Cancellation"
Note that sometimes your new flight may cost more than your eCredit, if this happens, you would pay the difference in price* even though there is no change fee.

*If there is a difference in price, a difference in fare will apply. Notwithstanding any rules or ticketing policies to the contrary, if the newly selected flight is for the same travel dates, for the same origin and destination, and results in a lower ticket price, then the reissued ticket will be deemed issued at the same ticket price as the original ticket (i.e., any fare difference will not be issued in the form of a credit). Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity. If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket. For Basic Economy tickets purchased after April 30, 2021 with travel before December 31, 2021, if a voluntary change is made the Basic Economy ticket must be rebooked by December 31, 2021. Travel must be completed by December 31, 2022. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates.”

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ability-waiver

Last edited by jsnearline; Aug 21, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:35 pm

I have canceled and redeposited 30+ BE tickets with zero pushback. You have to call in.
jsnearline, Gallibep and Statman like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Aug 22, 2021 at 5:08 am
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Award tickets are slightly different. When you cancel an award it refunds it. There's no ecredit to be created.

If this was a cash BE ticket you should've been able as it wouldn't be "refunding" the ticket.
strickerj and jsnearline like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

It looks like I can change to Main Cabin on an earlier flight for the same number of miles. Would this give me the ability to cancel online after making the change?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by jsnearline
It looks like I can change to Main Cabin on an earlier flight for the same number of miles. Would this give me the ability to cancel online after making the change?
You can cancel BE online regardless or sometimes you have to phone in. MC allows you to standby/upgrade/cancel after 1/1/22.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

After trying multiple times to call, I tried my workaround of upgrading to Main Cabin. That part worked. Then I cancelled. It went through, but it doesn’t look like I’ll be getting my miles back. I’ll have to contact SkyMiles to plead my case.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I got in touch with Delta today by texting them via iMessage. They refunded my miles no questions asked. The experience was much more efficient than if I had waited on hold for several hours.
medellinfein and JPG3392 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:02 pm

So is it confirmed that Basic Economy award tickets are covered by the BE Changeability Waiver? Can't seem to find this in writing on the Delta website.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Redeemed
So is it confirmed that Basic Economy award tickets are covered by the BE Changeability Waiver? Can't seem to find this in writing on the Delta website.
Yes. DL generally doesn't do separate policies for award vs cash. When they do they make it clear that award tickets are not covered.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:09 pm

The website is not letting me cancel a BE award booked on Mar 10 and changed on Aug 3. Travel is for next month.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:29 pm

I saw the website indicates a BE waiver through Dec 31, 2021. I spoke to a rep about canceling a BE SkyMiles Award. She said the miles will be redeposited and the taxes will be "converted to miles". Whatever that means...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.