Seat upgrades are non-refundable?

Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lindros2
Yeah it would (helped me).
I think I had to escalate, but there was some fee which Delta used and basically it was covered by Allianz.
(note that Delta can selectively choose to give you 1 billion miles - it's not real, it has ZERO par/monetary value outside of Delta... and it's completely up to them).

So in this case, seasoned travelers would have...
HUCA
HUCA is exactly what I am doing...well, using the chat. Agent is being very understanding, submitted a request for me.
lindros2 and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I never purchase the FC UG as a separate add-on purchase.

After purchasing the coach ticket (to have a receipt showing the fair fare charge for my client to reimburse), I call the DM line to cancel the ticket and purchase the FC ticket.

The incremental cost is sometimes less than the UG cost offered on, say, the seat selection page.
MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

After purchasing the coach ticket (to have a receipt showing the fair fare charge for my client to reimburse), I call the DM line to cancel the ticket and purchase the FC ticket.

The incremental cost is sometimes less than the UG cost offered on, say, the seat selection page.
I do the same, usually.
For this ticket, it was a one way from HNL to MYR, connecting in ATL...paid $315; D1 was going for $3,900, so I figured the miles were worth it this time around...even the $$$ would have been (they were asking $875). Didn't expect to have to cancel...but one never does .
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by ralph4878
Reviving this thread...
Just got off the phone with the Platinum Medallion line.
Got a hard no on getting miles back that I used to upgrade to D1 on a flight to HI...despite there being 15+ seats for sale currently on the flight.
I have a medical situation with a family member I must contend with and need to cancel my trip; rep told me that there was no way to get the miles back, even if I changed the flight to a later date.
the number of seats for sale is completely irrelevant

when is the flight? just wait until day of to cancel, you're going to get a credit for the original fare anyway, and this way if the schedule changes, you can get the cash payment refunded and get your miles back.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:01 pm

I'm sure the scolds will descend shortly to wag their fingers at you about FRAUD and all sorts of weird cases where one time they heard that a guy expensed one ticket number but flew on a different ticket number and ended up in jail.
strickerj and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I'm sure the scolds will descend shortly to wag their fingers at you about FRAUD and all sorts of weird cases where one time they heard that a guy expensed one ticket number but flew on a different ticket number and ended up in jail.
If they do, they're delusional, or deficient in reading comprehension.

I purchase the coach ticket, and that is what I legitimately invoice the client for.

I then cancel the coach ticket and purchase the FC ticket, paying the difference out of my own pocket.

Everyone ends up whole, and I have a legitimate FC ticket for which DL cannot game me out of the fare difference if I have to make a change.

So, perhaps, not everyone ends up whole. DL loses the opportunity to disadvantage me. I can live with that.
strickerj and altabello like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA

I purchase the coach ticket, and that is what I legitimately invoice the client for.

I then cancel the coach ticket and purchase the FC ticket, paying the difference out of my own pocket.

Everyone ends up whole, and I have a legitimate FC ticket for which DL cannot game me out of the fare difference if I have to make a change.

So, perhaps, not everyone ends up whole. DL loses the opportunity to disadvantage me. I can live with that.
I don't know how to break it to you, but that's fraud, even if it seems fair. I can't imagine anyone really pursuing it, but the fact is that you're doing it that way because you're breaking someone's reimbursement rules.

I think the rationale would always be "if you're willing to cut corners on this, what ELSE will you be willing to cut corners on?"
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:59 am

Why not just change your flight to FC on the same flight? You still get a full standard FC ticket, you don't need to deal with the hassle of calling in, you keep your same confirmation number, and I've often seen prices for changing flights be cheaper than prices for booking the flight from fresh but never the opposite.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I don't know how to break it to you, but that's fraud, even if it seems fair. I can't imagine anyone really pursuing it, but the fact is that you're doing it that way because you're breaking someone's reimbursement rules.

I think the rationale would always be "if you're willing to cut corners on this, what ELSE will you be willing to cut corners on?"
You can argue that this violates some policies, but explain to me what corner has been cut, what party has been damaged, overcharged, etc.
emma dog and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:51 am

Rule 1 on FT should be “don’t argue with crazy people”.
ijgordon, emma dog and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You can argue that this violates some policies, but explain to me what corner has been cut, what party has been damaged, overcharged, etc.
Billing a client based on a charge where you got a refund is technically fraud, and the only reason you'd need do that is if you weren't allowed to charge the client the cost of the ticket you actually purchased.

If the charge is valid, you don't need to do that. I'm just pointing out that there is likely a better way to do this.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Jul 11, 2022 at 6:23 am
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Rule 1 on FT should be “don’t argue with crazy people”.
I was going to argue, but it seems like a good rule.
shoodawg likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Billing a client based on a charge where you got a refund is technically fraud, and the only reason you'd need do that is if you weren't allowed to charge the client the cost of the ticket you actually purchased.

If the charge is valid, you don't need to do that. I'm just pointing out that there is likely a better way to do this.
What do you mean by "technically fraud"? Are you using the tort definition?

It has to be detrimental to the party. How is it detrimental? Unless you're assuming the person bought a higher coach fare that had a lower upcharge to first.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
What do you mean by "technically fraud"? Are you using the tort definition?

It has to be detrimental to the party. How is it detrimental? Unless you're assuming the person bought a higher coach fare that had a lower upcharge to first.
How do you know it's not? What if he took a different flight that was cheaper? Who is to say he didn't use frequent flyer miles or a coupon to buy his flight? Who is to say he even took one? He certainly didn't use the ticket he's expensing. He's misrepresenting his expenses. It's undoubtedly against company policy.

Once you get into the practice of manufacturing bills, who is to say you won't err in your own favor? At best, it's misrepresenting a material fact.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well yeah there’s no reason to cancel the ticket, you can just “change” the ticket and search for the “new itinerary” in first class, and you’ll just pay the fare difference as an additional collection. Seems easier and cleaner, but there is certainly NOTHING even remotely fraudulent being done despite some posters wild imagination about what COULD be done.
emma dog, strickerj and hhdl like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.