Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet in cabin to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
I presume this isn’t a service animal.

We moved to the UK with our dog several years ago, so familiar with the process.

If this is not a long-term move/stay I would personal discourage you from traveling to the UK with your pet.

Happy to share more details if your curious about the whole experience.
Newman55 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Going outside would mean that you and the pet must be admissible to the Netherlands as you would need to clear immigration and customs. In particular, you might need to be doing essential travel and have certain COVID-19 tests, with requirements that would be expected to be a bit different than what's needed to Ireland. The dog would also need whatever documentation, shots, and vet exams that Holland requires. I certainly wouldn't try this on a 90 minute connection.
The EU health certificate for Ireland is also valid for admission into the Netherlands.Requirements are identical except for the additional tapeworm treatment Ireland mandates.
Covid regulations notwithstanding (currently the US is on the list of "safe countries", allowed to enter with proof of vaccination/negative test and health declaration, so if nothing changes entering NL on a layover is possible), it is absolutely no problem to take a dog outside at Schiphol during a layover, BTDT in less than an hour, and that was with pre-pandemic levels of people queuing up at security.
Best way to go about this: Take the walkway to the Hilton (takes all of 5 minutes) - there's grassy areas around the hotel, perfectly adequate for the intended purpose.
If you deem that too risky - Schiphol allows leashed dogs in the terminal buildings, so you can take him/her out of the carrier and go for a walk in the terminal. Just clean up any "business".

Originally Posted by Paplover
I finally called DL about the requirements for pet in cabin to DUB and surprisingly got no push back about it, just the normal importation information about Ireland. Not sure if that is real or not fully informed agent since dogs traveling to DUB are not standard.
Uninformed agent. PETC to DUB is a no-no, and has always been. Delta explicitly disallows pets in the cabin to Ireland. I would not rely on this information.But email Delta and inquire, if you have it in writing they'll accept the animal I`d proceed with booking that flight.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by catlike
We moved to the UK with our dog several years ago, so familiar with the process.

If this is not a long-term move/stay I would personal discourage you from traveling to the UK with your pet.

Happy to share more details if your curious about the whole experience.
OP is traveling to Dublin, Ireland - not the UK.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DiverDave
OP is traveling to Dublin, Ireland - not the UK.
Ireland/UK have similar heavy restrictions due to the common travel area they share.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Paplover
Thank you for the comments and advice. We know D1 is off limits to Pet in Cabin and are planning accordingly. Requirements to get into Amsterdam should be similar or easier than Ireland due to tapeworm treatment and both need an EU health certificate filled out but a 90 minute connection is tight to leave and be sure to clear security again. We are working on puppy pad training but she is being stubborn about it and the lack of facilities in AMS for pets is a concern. I finally called DL about the requirements for pet in cabin to DUB and surprisingly got no push back about it, just the normal importation information about Ireland. Not sure if that is real or not fully informed agent since dogs traveling to DUB are not standard. When we do book the trip I am expecting it to be more complicated. I did not realize the non-daily JFK-DUB flights but since DL will not allow pet in cabin into DUB we have to take the roundabout route. For those who say just ship the dog as cargo, that opens up even more cans of worms, especially for arrival in DUB and possible paperwork/quarantine issues.

Sorry to bump an old thread but how did you get on flying to Dublin? We’ll be flying from Austin to Dublin on the most direct route available, and Delta would be my preference! Did they allow you to board to bring a dog in-cabin to ireland?

I also can’t seem to find a customer service email address anywhere to query , if you did email them in the end, could I possibly get it off you?

thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:20 am

I think the only one-airline, one-stop option to bring a pet in the cabin to Dublin from Austin in business class is with Air Canada (AUS-YYZ-DUB). They do allow pets in the cabin in business class (which most airlines do not), and they do allow pets in the cabin to Ireland (again, which many airlines do not). With Delta, no chance on both fronts, they do not allow carry-on pets to Ireland as well as not allow carry-on pets in Delta One.
If you want to earn miles on DL, you could fly KLM or Air France, but both do not allow pets in business class.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bhomburg
I think the only one-airline, one-stop option to bring a pet in the cabin to Dublin from Austin in business class is with Air Canada (AUS-YYZ-DUB). They do allow pets in the cabin in business class (which most airlines do not), and they do allow pets in the cabin to Ireland (again, which many airlines do not). With Delta, no chance on both fronts, they do not allow carry-on pets to Ireland as well as not allow carry-on pets in Delta One.
If you want to earn miles on DL, you could fly KLM or Air France, but both do not allow pets in business class.
KLM flies to Austin.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
KLM flies to Austin.
They do, and they would allow the dog to fly to Dublin in the cabin as well - but only in Economy Class on the transatlantic sector, not in PE(Premium Comfort) nor business class.
There is no skyteam or DL option for premium cabin passengers travelling transatlantic with a pet in the cabin except for ITA (who are a great airline for people with animals just as AZ was. Y'all need to hope that LH doesn't swallow them!). Unfortunately, ITA only flies to half a dozen US destinations and Ireland isn't on their map as well.

Originally Posted by Aoifeobrien
I also can’t seem to find a customer service email address anywhere to query , if you did email them in the end, could I possibly get it off you?
Delta doesn't publish customer service email addresses. You can reach them by either
- use the web form available when clicking "comments and complaints" on the Help Center website
- use the "message us" chat function via text messages in the Delta app (get around the automated responses by texting "agent" after your first question)
- messaging the Delta Facebook and Twitter accounts on those platforms.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
We flew DL from SEA to AMS and took a KLM flight to DUB from AMS. DL does not allow in cabin pets in D1 or PS so we flew in Y. As a single ticket that meant we flew in Y from AMS to DUB but not an issue. It is a short flight and KL intra-europe F is just a normal coach seats with the center seat blocked. Since we stayed airside in AMS, no issues there.

Also note the paperwork requirements to bring a pet into Ireland/UK are strict and need significant planning to get vet certificate and USDA paperwork in the proper time period prior to travel.

The surprising issue came at checkin at SEA. When we went to pay the in cabin pet fee DL's computer system could not handle it. The GA confirmed that DL does not allow pet in cabin for flights to DUB and the computer was hard coded for this and would not accept payment since this was prohibited. The agent could see the rules for the KL flight and that there were pets in cabin from other passengers on that flight but could not override the DL computer system. We ended up paying the fee as an excess baggage charge, got the green tag and everything went fine after that. My wife is of the opinion that if I, a DM, was not there and we were not at the DM checkin desk at SEA we would have been denied boarding due to DL policies. In the future I would either book it as two seperate tickets or use the KL flight number instead of the DL codeshare for the AMS-DUB leg.

The DL rule for no in-cabin pets in D1 or PS is related to underseat space or lack thereof for the pet. Due to rabies rules importing dogs/cats to Ireland and the UK is a pain.. Those countries do not have rabies and want to keep it out and so the super strict rules for entry.

I just located this on a DL website International Pet Travel | Delta Air Lines -

For pets traveling in the cabin to the Republic of Ireland, customers must notify the Department of Agriculture in advance at [email protected]. Find additional information at the Republic of Ireland Pet Travel Portal, opens in a new window.

I don't know if that means DL now accepts pets in cabin to Ireland or if it applies to what we did via AMS and KL. Best option is to call and ask.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.