Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta extends medallion status through '22 Medallion year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta extends medallion status through '22 Medallion year

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Who is this “Ed” guy, and why does he keep emailing me?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'm not getting any of these edmails. I feel left out.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by angra
I haven’t either! My sister to whom I gifted Gold in early 2021 got the email, but I’m DM earned in 2019 for the 2020 year, extended through end 2021 previously and I gather now into 2023, but even on the app it still says my 2022 status will be Gold since I haven’t flown as much…
Old Jul 29, 2021, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Same. I get all my DL news from FT.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:02 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
My wife got an email yesterday that her gifted GM is extended.

She'll end the year with about 48K MQM rollover. That means that she'll earn GM in 2022 with the AMEX waiver and have it through Jan 2024 which will give me another usable CB for 2 years.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:06 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by TheHorta
ED emails are usually SPAM and just trying to sell you pills. They're usually the result of analytics of your browsing history.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
My wife got an email yesterday that her gifted GM is extended.

She'll end the year with about 48K MQM rollover. That means that she'll earn GM in 2022 with the AMEX waiver and have it through Jan 2024 which will give me another usable CB for 2 years.
So a diamond can basically gift gold to three people then technically.

If I gift gold in 2020 their status carried over for 2021 and then into 2022
I could have gifted gold to another person this year and their status would carry over into 2022
and I could gift gold to third to a third person in 2022

Or a diamond who has a spouse of SO they gift it to is basically getting another choice gift if they don't have another person to gift it to. They chose it a choice gift last year to gift gold and this year they can chose a different choice selection other than gifting gold.

Glad I didn't gift my MQM's out now from my Am Ex card.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Jul 29, 2021 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
A lot of people including myself had a concern about how it would work out if an extended diamond was on a higher fare class on a flight than an earned diamond on a lower fare class and who would get hte upgrade.

I asked the question on facebook and received a response from Delta and if the FB delta rep is correct it's the response we were all hoping for and the earned diamond will get the upgrade even if the are on a X or T fare and the extended diamond is on a y fare.

Medallion status is the first ranked priority. Fare class groupings are the second ranked priority. The hierarchy for fare class would come after the hierarchy for Medallion status. I hope this helps clear that up for you. Ann

I think we can all agree this is great news if the rep is correct. Going to be a night mare for their IT department. Hopefully this is also the case for GUC and RUC wiatlists.
Adelphos, gooselee and TheHorta like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Beckles
There has always been too much concern over losing upgrades to PM's and DM's who never fly and earn status through credit cards, hard to lose upgrades to elites that don't actually fly.
This x1000. Both here and on every other Amex MQM thread here.

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I usually select my choice benefit (upgrade certificate) on January 31st each year to have the longest expiration date. It seems that if I select them now it will have a January 31, 2023 expiration date anyway

However, it look like you don't want to select your upgrade between 1/1/22 - 1/30/22 because they aren't extending those (as of right now) and you'd end up with an expiration date that is worse than if you selected it right now
But it's literally just that window, right? If you're truly worried, you could select on 1/31/22 and have the same expiration date. If you're selecting earlier, it's likely because you have an immediate use for them so it's worth sacrificing the couple weeks of expiration time.

---

Took some time to read this thread and the Ed-mails in more detail today. If I've interpreted everything properly, it appears that I currently have:
- 2020 RUCs already selected (picked in Feb 2020 b/c I needed a couple immediately) - remaining RUCs now expire 1/31/23
- 2021 PM from rollover (earned in 2019 for 2020 Medallion year)
- 2021 Choice Benefits - will select RUCs, once I do they will expire 1/31/23
- 2022 PM earned (from rollover + flights in 2021 + Amex)
- 2022 Choice Benefits - will probably select RUCs, but I have until 1/31/23 to select them (so potentially 1/31/24 expiration)
- Amex Reserve BOGO Cert issued summer 2020, now expires 1/31/23
- Amex Reserve BOGO Cert issued summer 2021, now expires 1/31/23
- Some random eCredits from 2020, still expire 12/31/22

I think I got all that correct? We were likely going to use stuff like the Reserve certs before their existing expiration dates anyway, but having the extra time means we'll probably burn a few more RDM instead when the pricing works out. Either way, the changes definitely provide a lot more flexibility for vacation planning.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Idle speculation (don't particularly care either way): with MQM/D/S earning on award tickets extended another year, wonder if they'll eventually make award tickets eligible for the AMEX Companion certs.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
So, regarding the rollover, if I "earned" Platinum status during 2021 (from 2020 rollover + Delta Reserve Card spending), does this now mean, I will have Platinum through 2023 as well, as long as I spend $25k again next year? (Because all the MQMs will rollover?)

Does this also mean that I'll get another Choice Benefit to choose in 2022?
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
There has always been too much concern over losing upgrades to PM's and DM's who never fly and earn status through credit cards, hard to lose upgrades to elites that don't actually fly.
I'd hope if someone is spending $250K a year on their Am Ex they are flying Delta a lot. There's a lot better use for that kind of spend than 250K skypesos LOL. Only way that would make sense to have that kind of spend on the card is if you don't fly much is for the GUC's if you fly an extensive J route like to SYD or Asia and those people wouldn't be competiting with other diamonds for upgrades

I can see people putting the $30K spend on the card to get enough MQMs to go from Gold to PM though. The leisure flyers are probably not going to be on the same routes as the business flyers and will be on a lower fare class so not much risk to business flyers losing out on upgrades anyway.

OT, but as a Hilton diamond Am Ex is diluting the pool of diamonds big time but Hilton's am ex requires no spend and has a negative fee if you use the benefits compared to Delta's Am Ex. Hopefully Hilton does what Marriott and Hyatt does soon and adds another tier.
Synapseturquoise and FlyerMD like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Related question - earned elites on award tickets (along with their companions if in the same PNR) should outrank extended elites in the same tier, right?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
ED emails are usually SPAM and just trying to sell you pills. They're usually the result of analytics of your browsing history.
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Ah, they're for those pills. That would explain why he's always smiling...

Mike
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Zorak
Idle speculation (don't particularly care either way): with MQM/D/S earning on award tickets extended another year, wonder if they'll eventually make award tickets eligible for the AMEX Companion certs.
I doubt that will ever happen as the current restrictions even state that you must pay for the companion certificate on a AMEX card. What I believe they should do is let the “companion” on the ticket also earn MQMs/MQS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.