Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta extends medallion status through '22 Medallion year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta extends medallion status through '22 Medallion year

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I usually select my choice benefit (upgrade certificate) on January 31st each year to have the longest expiration date. It seems that if I select them now it will have a January 31, 2023 expiration date anyway

However, it look like you don't want to select your upgrade between 1/1/22 - 1/30/22 because they aren't extending those (as of right now) and you'd end up with an expiration date that is worse than if you selected it right now
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I got a different email:

"As you may know, we recently announced a Medallion Status extension through January 31, 2023. Because you have already achieved Status through your travels, we are further recognizing your loyalty with enhanced Medallion Benefits. Beginning February 1, 2022, you'll enjoy a higher upgrade priority within your Tier, meaning you will clear before Medallion Members in your Tier whose Status was extended but not earned. Additionally, Platinum and Diamond Medallion Members who earn Status will continue to enjoy Choice Benefits selection."
Yeah, that's the one I got this morning too. The 2021 rollover and 2022 rollover thing is so complicated that I didn't know where I actually stood. Now I know that I somehow "earned" PM status for next year too, not just from rollovers but from actual flying. I know I'll never make DM but PM makes me happy.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
What I'll be curious to see is if AA and/or UA follow suit. I have status across all three carriers right now (though DL and AA are the only ones that would be impacted by a status extension for next year). The DL status is fully earned each year. I earned AA status from a challenge in 2019 that was good for the 2020 year and then was the extended for this year. I then have UA Silver through my Marriott status so no impact there but also nice to have status across all three carriers. Now I can't speak for UA but AA already has a two-path promo to retain status. (Option 1 is "Spend $15K on an AA Branded CC between Jul 15 and Nov 15; Option 2 is spend $2K in EQDs on AA flights between 1 Sep and 31 Dec).

Since I was already going to have PM for 2022, along with a significant amount of rollover going into 2022, I was considering shifting some travel to AA later in the year to try to satisfy that $2K EQD requirement and retain the Platinum status for next year. But now I'll wait to see what AA does in the next month or two. If AA ends up extending status, I'll almost certainly keep all travel that I can on DL and continue to pad the MQM rollover block for going into 2023 and subsequent years, especially since my segments (and thus MQM earnings) are shorter out of DAY. From a selfish perspective, I hope AA simply matches DL and extends status through 2022, but I also get that may really upset anyone who either has earned status through BIS flying this year or who may have already been pursuing one of the other promo paths (either putting spend on an AA branded CC or booking AA for travel in Sep through Dec).
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
The Upgrade Lists have been long lately this summer especially on INTL as I await to be cleared into D1. This is a customer friendly move and a step in the right direction to restore confidence in travel especially with a lot of restrictions in the last few months.
I definitely noticed that this flying to/from DBV. The international legs had 20-30 people on the waitlist for D1, presumably trying to burn GUC before they expired.

Now that they have extended expiration on the GUCs, I wonder if there will be a wave of cancellations freeing up some international D1 seats for the rest of the year. For a flight in September, yesterday there were 12 D1 seats available. Today there are 15. Maybe a fluke, but it could be related. TBH, using our GUCs was a big motivation for this trip. Now that they are extended, we will most likely cancel the trip and use the certs next year.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Biscoff27
I definitely noticed that this flying to/from DBV. The international legs had 20-30 people on the waitlist for D1, presumably trying to burn GUC before they expired.

Now that they have extended expiration on the GUCs, I wonder if there will be a wave of cancellations freeing up some international D1 seats for the rest of the year. For a flight in September, yesterday there were 12 D1 seats available. Today there are 15. Maybe a fluke, but it could be related. TBH, using our GUCs was a big motivation for this trip. Now that they are extended, we will most likely cancel the trip and use the certs next year.
Is DL reinstating upgrade certificates (GUCs and RUCs) that have been applied to trips that are then voluntarily canceled?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:01 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I think it's more likely there are a lot of upgrade eligible non-revs on the standby list, especially somewhere like DBV.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:12 pm

From the lowly FO perspective, upgrades are unlikely and I get the status extended anyway. My 3 end of year trips now booked, 2 of them with award miles, could be delayed into next year and I may even try for GM (although no upgrade optimism there, it used to work on my favorite routes).
All my int'l destinations are in current and rotating crisis, and the one currently winding down doesn't let anyone in. A December opening might as well be a January for me.
I've had more than enough MQMs rolling over from the HKG days, but now I won't even have to cash in the usual 25k of them.
With the award tickets counting next year, all I'll lose by delaying is the C+ 75% bonus. So, for a FO trying to requalify, the Accelerator is worth a discount around $1300+. Of course, I could really go crazy and try for GM this year, all or nothing, it seems.
Most likely, my plans will follow the realities of international openings, though I would really need to do all three of the DL trips to be worth it, or none, or end up having to do a 3rd as MQD run. I bought too many miles on sale with another airline, one earlier thought to be in precarious finances, where attempting status is not an issue, and I've been giving away trips to others, So it seems DL may have just reversed my own travel strategy.
So many DL credits from canceled trips, good through next year, I'd better check again.
Being away so much of the year, I used to joke to people "Home is my favorite hotel." Little did I know!
Thanks to all for being so diligent in researching and recommending strategies!

Last edited by SEAfarer; Jul 28, 2021 at 12:24 pm
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
MM Gets Enhanced DM?

I have a question I haven't seen answered. On the Delta page when you click through it says this,

"Members who receive extended Status through the Million Miler program will be eligible for Choice Benefits and upgrade priority."

Does this mean if I'm a MM and a DM then I get put into the Earned DM group for upgrade priority and a new set of choice benefits? I doubt this but I don't quite understand the wording. I'm a DM & MM who doesn't plan to earn DM this year, so wondering what next year will be like -- old DM or enhanced DM.

Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:17 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bergamini
I have a question I haven't seen answered. On the Delta page when you click through it says this,

"Members who receive extended Status through the Million Miler program will be eligible for Choice Benefits and upgrade priority."

Does this mean if I'm a MM and a DM then I get put into the Earned DM group for upgrade priority and a new set of choice benefits? I doubt this but I don't quite understand the wording. I'm a DM & MM who doesn't plan to earn DM this year, so wondering what next year will be like -- old DM or enhanced DM.
I think that refers to the small group of 4 million milers who receive PM status?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by josephstern
The more I think about it, I'm just not that worried about a glut of new elites.

For starters, you have to have had status to get it extended. I'd guess the pool of Delta elites is pretty stable year to year. It's not like only 10% renew their status, so getting two years of elites would almost double the pool. I'm guessing the year to year renewals are something like 90%. So the pool won't grow much with these extensions.

The biggest issue is that MQMs just keep growing. Basically, all MQMs you earn in three years now count toward status for the fourth year. And anyone with an Amex and the ability to spend a bit can get over the hurdle to PM. Of course, these are three years with much reduced flying.

But overall, clearly fewer people are flying. Business travel is way down, and that's where the elites were. There just aren't new business travelers entering the potential pool to be Delta elites.

Already this year, with two years of elites in the pool, I think I've been upgraded on every Delta flight I've taken. I actually think I'm doing far better than I normally do. I expect that to continue next year, and I think Delta does too, hence this promo.

I think this is absolutely the correct take. My first year as PM was 2019, so I don't have a ton of pre-COVID reference points, but I was probably getting upgraded 70-75% of the time as a SEA-based flyer. While yes, almost all of the elites from that year still have their status due to extensions, I just don't see a huge glut of NEW elites earning status in 2020-21. Even with accelerators, it's not easy to make DM or even PM on cheap domestic tickets. I really don't think we'll see the ranks swell until international travel - particularly business travel - returns.
Pocatello and ryw like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I definitely noticed that this flying to/from DBV. The international legs had 20-30 people on the waitlist for D1, presumably trying to burn GUC before they expired..
A lot of the D1 upgrade waitlists on long-haul international now are Delta employees and families using their confirmed passes. For example when Delta won the JD Power award this year, they gave each employee a pair of confirmed passes to anywhere in the world that DL flies. Previously when Delta had some operational issues and employees had to put in a lot of extra time and work, Delta also awarded them a pair of confirmed passes, etc. These passes entitle employees to confirmed Main Cabin seats but they are allowed to waitlist for a D1 upgrade.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
A lot of the D1 upgrade waitlists on long-haul international now are Delta employees and families using their confirmed passes. For example when Delta won the JD Power award this year, they gave each employee a pair of confirmed passes to anywhere in the world that DL flies. Previously when Delta had some operational issues and employees had to put in a lot of extra time and work, Delta also awarded them a pair of confirmed passes, etc. These passes entitle employees to confirmed Main Cabin seats but they are allowed to waitlist for a D1 upgrade.
But they would go below waitlisted GUC's pecking order if it goes to the gate and also can't get confirmed space like a GUC correct?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Is DL reinstating upgrade certificates (GUCs and RUCs) that have been applied to trips that are then voluntarily canceled?
I have gotten them back, including after they cleared.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Ah, interesting. That would make a lot of sense. I had never seen D1 upgrade lists that long, but that would explain it.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
With no intl travel this year, I might have barely hit GM status this year, but already have that as a 2MM.
Even without any choice benefits, I appreciate that my DM status will rollover to next year - the pretty standard automatic upgrades to C+ are appreciated and for long flights I'll use $s or miles to pay for FC upgrades. And I may even pay for SkyClub when renewal time comes.
I've not flown UA recently but did fly AA to the UK in business and domestically in FC last year and to me DL is far better - cabin, on the ground, sky club compared to Admiral's club.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
It was nice to see that they extended my wife's gifted GM. Gives me another option for the CB it would have otherwise used. I'll requalify as a DM so I'll have CB's.

I've also decided to use my full 2021 travel budget to pad my MQM rollover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.